The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 22 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    He may have been here for only a year, but what is your personal experience with purchasing new or used current era Ferraris from a certified Ferrari dealer? Sure there are stories here, but unless you have purchased anything and know what establishing a dealer relationship entails, you don't really know how it works.

Yes some had to jump through hoops to get X car, while many others did not. You cannot generalize it just because you read about it here. It's like mechanical problems with cars. You don't see a ton of positive stories because people with the positive stories rarely remember to say anything, while those with a bad experience are more likely to post bad reviews or tell about bad experiences.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Not sure. My guess is between $550-575, but I have not fully locked my spec yet. Still bouncing between yellow and black calipers. I still have some time before I am forced to decide. I do have price guide, but I am too lazy to add all the options up.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m in love with GTS. But $700k on the used market is too much. I’m going to try Algar this morning and see if they’ll let me spec one. I can probably keep it in the $475k range. I’m assuming they’ll turn me down but perhaps not. Have they given you an idea on TA time? 12 months?

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    18-24 months from July when I submitted my deposit. My 812 was 22 months from when I originally submitted my deposit. My guess is Q1 or Q2 2023. That timeline works fine for me as it gives me some time to put some disposable car money aside.

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That would work well for me too. Thanks for the info.

Thecadster likes this.
  6. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I only know what I have read on THIS forum...countless times. So, either FerrariChat is LOADED with liars or the games played by MANY Ferrari dealers are quite real.

PS. While we're on the subject of his claims and you want to take up for him...Why would a Ferrari dealer sell a "CPO" 458 for 20% under market value?

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lake Forest owner told me 812 GTS order books closed along with F8 :/. Curiously he did say SF90 still open.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah closed 10/15. SF90 open until some point in December.

Did you ask about buying someone's position? I suspect a few might back out. F of LV was oversubscribed but I said to keep me in mind...

9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    They wanted my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    interesting article "ilko" Thanks

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    That's interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard of a dealer knocking 20% off market price on any V8 mid-engine Ferrari, especially a "CPO".

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL

13. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mandating that a dealer must charge MSRP and not add an ADM is not collusion or price fixing, nor is it illegal.

9650max likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have zero insight into his dealings, so I won't bother answering that last question. Did you really expect an answer?

As to the first part of your comment, that's a really poor answer. So okay, you actually don't know what you are talking about. Glad we got that out of the way.
    No, I don't think Fchat is filled with liars, and I never eve n hinted such nonsense. I said that there are some stories here about people having to jump through hoops to get X car. But guess what, in most of those, there are also people reporting that they did not have to play games. What you also seem to not knkw, is that things have changed. US Ferrari dealers are not playing games like they used to. Sure there are a few that still try, especially in Cali etc. but overall it's not what it used to be. Anyone could get an F8 for example. Sure there's waiting time, but everyone who krdered new got list price and it was far from the norm to ask people to get a used car to get an allocation.

Anyhow, that's kinda besides my point here. My point is that while you may find a bunch of stories here about the games, you might also want to look into who tells their story. Try and look into how many different people are actually represented. Sure you can perhaps find 200 threads about it over the past ten years, but you will also find that in many of them, it's the same people telling their story over and over. On the flipside, in all of those threads, you meet people who chime in with their positive experience, so many of those old stories are somewhat counterbalanced. And again, you don't even address my point about people being less likely to post when there's no issue. That has always been the case, because that's human nature in western culture. Oh it was great? Cool. We just go on our merry way. Oh, the dealer shafted you on an ugly Cali for a 458 allocation? Time to let the world know how bad we were wronged.

Again, I am not sticking up for anyone. I'm just pointing out that he was right, and while being a newer member than you, unlike you, he has actually set foot in a Ferrari dealership to purchase a car. In other words, you might want to limit your fingerprinting when all you have is second hand info.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I have first hand experience so I’ll confirm the games. There are tons and tons of different users on here with the exact same experience. Not the same people but different. Just do a simple search for “games” and see how many different users have experienced this. I personally know of 10 of my business partners that have also seen the games. Many of them walked away from the brand because of the games. You may not like it, may want to argue against it but there are many (not all) dealers that have played and continue to play games, even today. You mention the F8 and games are still being played with that. Good friend wrote out a 20k check 2 years ago and was told 12-18 months. Got the run around for months and kept on being told he was getting closer to an allocation. Just recently was told sorry but not looking good but you can buy this brand new, no mileage one on the showroom floor for 75k over and get it right now. That’s called a game. He got bumped down the list time and time again.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I have not weighed in but I will now. I have only been a few years a Ferrari owner. Went to a California dealer some time ago and they were rude snobs. Same dealership in the 80’s was fantastic to a college boy drooling. Same dealership, different time. Second dealership acted like they were a bit too good for me.

Ferrari of Austin was fantastic. Never had to buy an unwanted car to play. Have ordered four and purchased five from them over the last 8-9 years. Last two were 812 and F8. Could have ordered F12 first visit but could not at that time.

Sure, they wanted me to buy something here and there but future cars were never contingent.

So, not ALL experiences are bad. That’s all the point I want to make.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mkraft3003 and VAF84 like this.
  17. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    There are some amazing dealers that don’t play games. I’ll give a shout out to Cauley Ferrari and Tom Fazio. Not games and a straight shooter.

tfazio, mdrums and of2worlds like this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Ferrari of Central NJ is also fantastic and stress free without any games whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkraft3003 likes this.
  19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I bought two new cars this year - an F8S and a Lamborghini STO. I’d never dealt with either dealer before (FOCF or Lamborghini Sarasota) and had no status. Both dealers charged MSRP and the STO was just 9 months from deposit to delivery. The F8S will be 13 months; I should see it in Feb or March.

Both were straight shooters - no games whatsoever. I may never ‘qualify’ for a Monza, and that’s okay. Not my kind of car anyway.

I’ll be damned to pay the GM or Porsche premium for the privilege of jumping the line or receiving an allocation for one of their ‘special’ cars.

I’ll stick with the Bull and the Horse, and be happy in my own little world of exotics.

9650max, Wikdstrate, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #546 jimmyb, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    See the post right below yours, #541.
    As far as fingerprinting, you should take your own advice. And while you're at it, do some research as suggested in post #541. To suggest that Ferrari dealers got this reputation because a small number of people on FerrariChat posted over and over about being "gamed" by an Fcar dealer is laughable.
    I'm curious how you KNOW that US Ferrari dealers are NOT playing games like they used to. Or is that just an assumption on your part...

PS. This entire line was started with the comment that "I will never buy a GM product because they let dealers do ADM's". My response to that was that no GM dealer ever made me buy a C7 or C6 to get an allocation for a C8.

mkraft3003 likes this.
  21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I don’t think this has quite gotten to the point of requiring fingerprints but if that’s how you guys see it…

Can we all agree that many, if not most, car dealers screw people over? Like that guy who did a trade plus dollars of my mom’s loaded Odyssey for a base base Camry. She was 84 at the time…

mkraft3003 likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Il pilot is an expert in all things Ferrari. He may live in Sweden but his expertise spreads world wide and his knowledge about how US dealers operate their business is definitely within his expansive realm of insight. But do not make the mistake of uttering anything negative about Ferrari lest ignite his ire which will inevitable result in an novel size rebuttal coupled with an attack on your credibility.

23. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    One more thing to add. Does anyone here remember the same thing happening when Vipers were coming out. Oh, and the ZR-1?

Cause I think I do…

So, nothing new to see here.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah but not to this extent. We are in unprecedented times.

Thecadster likes this.