The California is starting to "grow" on me! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The California is starting to "grow" on me!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RTB, Aug 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    There are pics on Fchat that show the Cali and 599 together. Although I've always felt that the 599 was a bit plain, I like the 599 (in pics) better than the Cali. Much sharper lines and more aggressive. From pics, the Cali leaves me underwhelmed, but I have not seen one in person yet, and am reserving judgement until I have that opportunity.

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005

3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    No offense taken. Just letting you know your opinion is not shared by everyone.

4. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Thanks I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

5. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I have now got a California on loan from my dealer for the next few days, and I really like the car!

Having driven it a lot of miles today already, I am very impressed.

Yes, it could look prettier, but the interior is excellent and the experience is great.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Wait until you see it in person. It is totally different in the flesh. I was looking for a 599 or 612 or 430 until I saw the California ... and drove the California ... a 599 was there too, I ordered the California. What an amazing car!

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm am sure you are in the minority but I am not disappointed. Don't be offended when people recognize the California for exactly what it is, the low-end of Ferrari's model line-up.

The California is a wonderful Ferrari and if your stable and wallet were large enough, you would have the California in it, regardless of your favorite model. Drive it for a week and you'll understand.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If anyone's read this from me before, just skip it.

I believe the California will end up being one of the best loved Ferrari's by future owers of any of the current line up.

Why? Because it's resale value will be lower than most (making it affordable to buy used), it will be built in relatively high numbers, it's useability is high (because of the retractable hard top and optional 2 + 2 seating), and it's maintenance is low (because of the design of the drivetrain).

You could argue the CCB's are expensive to replace. But they last a very long time in everyday use. Few will be tracking this car. Most will be used in daily drive commutes. The cost per mile will be pretty much a break even situation in the long run.

Lastly, few will end up garage queens. More people will see Ferrari's actually on the road and not collecting dust in someone's garage -- too afraid to get it wet or put too many miles on it.

In the future, more every day/ middle class people will experience their first Ferrari through the California. It's the Dino Gt of our times.

Is that such a bad thing? Does every used Ferrari have to cost an arm and a leg to be able to enjoy it?

As long as Ferrari continues to design and build wonderful sports cars like the 458, I don't see the problem in making a modern day version of the Mondial or 400. It certainly does not delute the brand any more than they did.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I totally agree with your analysis and conclusions.

I was in Cannes last weekend and saw the new Alfa 8C spider. Nice car.

But it was surrounded by other cheaper Alfa's. The Mita starts at 15K Euro and you can option seats that look exactly like the 8C. And wheels that look like a smaller version of the 8C competizione rims.

If Ferrari had a mini 458 which sold for 25,000 US then that would be a different story.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont see your point. Do you really think people will mistake an 8C for a Mito ?

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Of course not! But it makes people wonder why the 280K Euro difference.
    That's only natural.

I'm not trying to bash the 8C spider at all.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    But the other point I wanted to make has to do with the weak dollar.

If Italian cars were re-priced using the Euro MSRP as the reference and a currency convertion of 1.5, then the 8C spider would cost 540,000 USD (excluding VAT) and the California would cost much more too ( I don't have the Euro MSRP for the Cali).

Maybe this is why Alfa chose to sell only 20 to the US. I'd rather be paid in Euros too, thank you.

But unless the dollar gets stronger soon, I think we are going to see Ferrari and Alfa prices go up significantly by maybe 25%.