THE CHAMPAGNE THREAD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

THE CHAMPAGNE THREAD

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good point. We've had a few good Cavas. Need to loop back to some of them...T

2. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Since 2020 has be n such a challenging year why not pop a bottle of 1996 salon or 2002 salon or Krug or 2004 Krug or salon or a 2006 salon or Krug....let’s go around twice!...or even a 2002 Cristal rose?

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    During the past 10 years or so a small revolution is occurring in Champagne with the advent of "Grower" Champagnes. Instead of selling their fruit to the big houses, these vignerons grow and harvest the grapes and then make, finish, bottle, label and sell the wine direct to the negociants for export. I have enjoyed many of these. A recent favorite is Bernard Gaucher Brut Reserve. WE opened another bottle Friday evening. This wine is 90% PN and 10% Chard. Pin point bubbles, lovely effervesence and a very pale colour. Not a complex wine, mostly devoid of the yeast and bread flavors. A nice, inexpensive (about $ 40 here) refreshing Champagne.

4. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    My favorite is Jacques Sellose. Almost any one he makes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    I have about 8 Selosse remaining. The price has increased and probably going to sell them and go after 96 Krug.

F12finally likes this.
  6. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I would get busy drinking them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    These should be good for another decade or so and will only appreciate (not why I buy wine). I have a line on 6 pack of 1996 Krug and can do a trade of 8 Selosse for 6 Krug. Selosse seemed under the radar and then pricing shot up which is good for them.

8. Boy roy

Boy roy Rookie

Sep 6, 2020
    My wife was born on the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay, next door to Pol Roger. We prefer NV Laurent Perrier, but also like Pol Roger, Pommery (even POP) and Moët Brut Imperial. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Janet and I opened another Pol Roger last night. Pin point bubbles, lively effervescence, austere finish. This is the style of Champagne I prefer. There are mixed fruits - pineapple, green apple, my wife thought a little lime, on the nose. Clear, bright wine and a treat to drink over the holidays. Roy, welcome to the thread and F-Chat. We have several L-P NV, including the brut rose in the cave and will pop one of those in the next couple of weeks. Christmas Eve is the Krug.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  10. Boy roy

Boy roy Rookie

Sep 6, 2020
    Keith, Thanks for your welcome. You are obviously an expert on champagne. Although my wife is Champenoise, we are not experts but we think we know when it's a good one. As Chantal grew up with several champagne families, Pol Roger, Mercier (now Moët), and Devenoge, we know a few secrets. For instance did you know that Pol Roger puts a drop of cognac in their champagne ?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Some like the very fine bubbles of Ruinart Champagne - but it's not something I'm able to really appreciate.
    The French FOC has good deals with Laurent Perrier, so my standard Champagne are vintage LP and Rosé Brut since I think the NV LP has not enough "distinctive" taste (this is purely subjective of course). The LP "Grand Siècle" is worth trying but it's relatively expensive...

12. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Roy, I am not an expert by any means, I just enjoy Champagne and have the great fortune to be able to drink it once a week or so (and lots more over the holidays). We will be opening a variety of bottles over the next fortnight. One of the Krugs will be popped Christmas Eve. And my wife's Mother was born in Archacon. We have family in several regions of La Belle France

Boy roy likes this.
  13. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Christmas Eve Champ with Sushi/Sashimi
    2006 Taittingerr CdC Rose from Zalto universal
    Paired well with toro, hamachi collar and other fish
    salmon copper color, medium-fine mousse, bright, strawberry/red fruits (apple), aromatic spices, very youthful.
    It is a value at $165 and ordering more.

tomc and surfwolf like this.
  14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Well, we popped one of the Krug last night and as soon as I eased out the cork I knew I was in for disappointment. The wine was not fresh. It had lost perhaps 80% of its effervescence. I had purchased this wine from a shop in Jersey and had it properly stored since purchase. I violated one of my own principles: know where your wine comes from. This bottle probably sat cooking in some distributor's warehouse for a year. I thought I was saving $ 40 over local purchase price. Bad decision. The wine still had a bit of zip but unfair to describe it since it was so flat. Poop. Opening a NV L-P tonight.

15. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    You should contact the store and see what they say. A bad battle is never good. No back up??

dustman likes this.
  16. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Well, the wine was not totally cooked or corked. It was drinkable. I plan to call the shop Monday. The wine was shipped via UPS and I did have it several months in my cooler. My local wine guy always takes back anything I return but I'm marking this one down as a lesson learned.

dustman likes this.
  17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sorry to hear. I have been in our "local" costco (well, its 100 miles away) and they have had one lonely bottle of Krug sitting in the bin under the florescent lighting since their grand opening a few months ago. Needless to say I've passed. I need to pick some up soon for a special occasion I have coming up...will find some in Jackson Hole, I'm sure a couple of the shops there get it.

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Just finished celebrating the new year with family in Italy via FaceTime. Good spirits all around. They are safe and managing but it’s been a terrible year. So much hardship. Hoping for a better 2021. Can’t wait to visit there again soon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Old school champagne coupes, nice!

We're enjoying this tonight. Not bad...T

NbyNW likes this.
  20. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    We just opened the Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle, No. 24. It is lovely and has a toasty, almond note to go with the typical fruits. I’ll have to pick up a couple more.

JK

21. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We went for volume over quality last night. Drank 3 bottles of my old value favourite, Lanson Black Label. This is a pleasant enough wine, lemon and almond, not as clean of a finish as I like. Bubbles a little larger. This wine does compliment all of the "finger foods" we had all evening. Will open a L-P non vintage this evening. Cheers, and Happy New Year

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I love Krug, sadly I only have 4 bottles left ... and the prices have got out of sight. I have 2 1996 Clos Des Mesnils, and two "regular" Krug. My back up for Krug is Deutz - if you can find it, I love a richer more toasty champagne ... Bollinger is great too. Veuve Cliquot and Pol Roger are our "ordinary" champagne ... but sadly my wife does not drink it anymore - gives her an instant headache... I buy from a small producer in Ay - called Pol Dethunes - very good reasonable champagne but it's hard to find - you see it listed but usually they are out. the Milliesiem XX is excellent.

I used to like Moet, but I find the more recent blends too light. same for Dom Perignon - its far to light ... the rose is good, its slightly sweeter and richer... I loved their Pierlant but they don't make that any longer ... the closest is Moet's Nectar imperial... for the money Krug is far better.

24. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Tom, hello. We can get the Krug MV for $ 180 here. I have been to the small village of Ay. I agree with your assessment of Deutz...I have a bottle somewhere and will open it if I find it. I think a Pol Roger this weekend,

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    cheapest I have seen Krug is $260... while that is not bad .... it stings a bit when i cant finish an entire bottle at one sitting.