THE CHAMPAGNE THREAD | Page 6 | FerrariChat

THE CHAMPAGNE THREAD

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    AtomicPunk88, E60 M5 and msquared like this.
  2. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jim K. Naperville...now that takes me back. For NY Eve, we are drinking a Krug and something else...have not decided. Might do a change of pace and open a British sparkler.

JAYKAY likes this.
  3. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Krug is always an excellent choice! My local store hasn’t received much of it in the last few years, but I try to buy it when I see it.

That said, I have a pick up at Hart Davis Hart in the city today. I bought Bollinger PN VZ 16, plus the newly released B13. I must be becoming a good customer because they offered me three Krug 2008s, which I also took.

I would really love to try some of the British sparkling wines. I’ve heard great things about the category, but am completely ignorant of them and again the local selection is basically zero. Do you have any favorites?

JK

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Jim. Here's the line-up for our dinner for two at home NY EVE. First time trying this British sparkler. I have drunk a couple of other U.K. sparkling wines in the past year but do not remember names. I do remember they were recommended by my local wine guy who knows my tastes, they were about $ 75 with my discount, and I wasn't impressed. I'll post a note on this Chapel Down Rose. HNY Image Unavailable, Please Login keith

surfwolf and msquared like this.
  5. Boy roy

Boy roy Rookie

Sep 6, 2020
    We are drinking Laurent Perrier La Cuvée tonight….it’s the best. Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    The 60 second, lemony finish of the Krug is unmistakable. Happy New Year

surfwolf likes this.
  7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We had a Sea Smoke Sparkling wine last night a gift from friends. This winery is known for its Pinots (subscription purchase only it seems) and the sparkler was made with 100% PN. Very tiny bubbles and a very well made wine, just not my style. Too big a yeasty, full bodied.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Very nice - my favorite - Krug... only thing better in my opinion - Krug Clos Des Mesnil.....

Nbatra and tgee's458 like this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We drank all Champers on NYE.... Started with Dom Perignon 2006.... then Bollinger and then Veuve Cliquot.... Bollinger by far my fave. DP was thin and not inspiring ... but it was a gift and I knew our guests would like it.

10. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This was a nice champagne - interestingly needed a few minutes to open up after opening - anyone else have that experience with champagne?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tantumaude likes this.
  11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We had the Chapel Hill Rose last evening. This is the U.K. wine I pictured above. It was very tasty. Well made, medium pink, small bubbles with lots of strawberry and raspberry flavor, not overwhelming. I found it pleasingly dry although others' tasting notes characterize it as medium dry. This wine was a gift but I think the bottle retails for about $70. The U.K. sparklers are not inexpensive. I will drink this again.

Nbatra likes this.
  12. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Salon is great too !..especially 1996..

Nbatra likes this.
  13. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Excellent tasting currently! 1996 was a great year in champagne!

Nbatra likes this.
  14. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I used to default to the Moët Nectar Impérial, but I think I'll be a Taittinger buyer from now on...perfect balance of acidity.
    Surprisingly, was rather disappointed by the 2008 Veuve over the holidays. Found it a bit boring.

15. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    tantumaude likes this.
  16. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I love Champagne and always have several bottles ready to "shoot" (Roederer, Ruinart, Bollinger, Laffite, Lepreux, etc...)
    I also love making comparisons between few brands, well known and little makers, so several bottles need to be open, so we need to be a few...:)
    If you are a both serious Fcar and Champagne connoisseur and travel in France I will be glad to make a degustation with you!;)

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    sure, many "big year" champagnes need air, just like any wine. 1996 Dom is epic and will drink well for decades. Jealous!

Nbatra likes this.
  18. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Please don't throw stones at me for this post. Last week I bought a bottle of the Kirkland brand Champagne Brut at Costco. I think it was $ 22. It was an enjoyable bottle. Not complex, won't make your make your socks roll up and down, but tasty and a hell of a bargain for the real thing.

arizonaitalian, E60 M5 and Nbatra like this.
  19. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The Launois was a nice value champagne we had last week. The Williams Selyem Pinot was the best of the wines

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Delamotte Saturday. Bone dry. Tasty

21. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    An interesting bottle last night, a gift from friends: Voirin-Jumel a Brut Zero wine from Epernay. These painfully dry wines are not for everyone, but if you enjoy the non-dosage wines, give this one a try. Medium bodied, medium bubbles, short but lemony finish. A little bit of burnt toast maybe. I wouldn't want to drink this everyday, but an interesting bottle in a style becoming more popular especially among smaller grower/bottlers.

22. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    OK, celebrating our move into the new house this weekend. Wanted to pop a cork on some champagne, recommendations for a good bottle under $100??
    No cheap comments please, its more about the celebration than the drink.

23. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Robert, do you have a preferred style? Big, yeasty? Some citrus? Very dry and austere? I think many would say the Bollinger is one of the reliably best NV Champagnes and it is widely availably. I can also recommend Dom Ruinart. In D.C. you should be able to get just about anything at a fair price. One piece of advice: buy from a store that has high turnover (of wine) or a small shop where the wine person can ask you questions and suggest a bottle. I make this point because freshness of the bottle is critical. There are lots of bottles that cook away in a distributor or importer's warehouse for months. For something in the $ 60 buck range, you might like Pol Roger. My favorites in the 50-60 buck range for daily drinkers are Taittinger and Roederer. And some people find Rose champagne festive...I recommend the Laurent-Perrier Rose. Cheers! Let us know what you drank and how you liked it.

Darshan and E60 M5 like this.
  24. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think more fruity/citrus would be great, I'm not much of a wine, champagne guy. I drink the chardonnay or Reisling or the one in the picture, my wife gets for me.
    I'm a whiskey, beer guy at heart.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Attached Files:

25. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Robert. please see my post 84 in this thread for a small producer with a citrusy flavor profile. If you like seeter wines, stay away from "non-dosage" Champagnes. "Extra Dry" Champagnes have a little more residual sugars than Brut.

E60 M5 likes this.