THE CHAMPAGNE THREAD | Page 7 | FerrariChat

THE CHAMPAGNE THREAD

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We had this last evening. For those who have not tried U.K. sparkling wines, you may want to sample a few. I've had a couple of clinkers but the Chapel Hill rose and this bottle were good. Medium amber, medium body, medium bubbles. Raspberries on the finish and just a bit of yeast in the glass as well. Nice balance. This was a 2016 vintage wine and I paid $ 50 at my retailer. Worth a try at that price. Cheers, Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5 likes this.
  2. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Enjoyed this grower Champagne last evening. Some almond, and ve Image Unavailable, Please Login ry citrusy with a burned orange finish that I found a little unpleasant. My wife liked this better than I did. Cleanly made, very dry, great effervesence with small bubbles and a pale colour.

3. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Had the Delamotte last night again...working through the six bottles I bought at Costco for $ 42. A bargain for a very nice wine

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Great I have one sitting in my cellar :(

5. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Maybe you will have better luck with yours

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For our anniversary brunch ordered two bottles of Dom. Ruinart Rose Champagne. I can recommend this lovely wine. Sweet/tart in balance, effervescent, bright color. My local guy has it for $ 87. A nice step up from our usual L-P rose. Cheers!

7. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
  8. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P

Attached Files:

9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Piper- Heidseick Red label last night. I get this at Costco for $ 39. Medium bubbles, medium body. Citrusy and lots of lemon. Not my favorite.

10. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Nbatra likes this.
  11. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Just read through this entire thread and am now inspired to go get some bottles to keep on hand. I have been wanting coupes for quite a while anyway, so this will be my excuse to get myself some nice ones.

12. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Welcome Brad. A quick personal note if I may. When Covid first started raging, my wife and I realized dining out was going into hiatus for perhaps an extended time. We decided to have "Champagne Night" at home once a week. We kept the new tradition alive as we went along, and now it's something we really enjoy each week. Friday it's omelets with a little truffle to go with a Ruinart Rose. Cheers!

JAYKAY and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  13. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I appreciate the welcome. I have tried some of the usual suspects over the years, mostly on special occasions (got a bottle of Dom P. for my youngest brother to celebrate a job he had just been offered, Veuve on various occasions, Cristal once on a special evening, and various other bottles from time to time). I am glad to see a lot of the recommendations in this thread for other things to try. I am certainly up for making champagne a somewhat more regular thing. Now I need to give some thought for food pairings to cross-post in the What's for Dinner thread.

14. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    E60 M5, AtomicPunk88 and adc like this.
  15. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    +1 to all the Pol Roger posts. What's good enough for Churchill is good for me, I'm sure it helped him to live to 90. Spotty availability at local stores, but always get a bottle or two when they have it in stock.

Steelton Keith and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  16. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Welcome indeed! It’s good to have another Champagne fan on the forum. It’s getting to the time of year that we seem to open more bottles.

I look forward to learning and sharing.

JK

Steelton Keith and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  17. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
  18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Very interesting thread as my wife and I love to have champagne at least 2 nights per week… life is too short to not have fun!
    Although I love most champagne I have never been a fan of Cristal. I judge most of my wines at warmer drinking temperatures first- especially champagne- because if it is very cold it is harder to discern the actual flavor of the wine. Cristal is one of those champagnes which taste awful (IMHO of course) at warmer temps and just turns me off even at colder temps.
    That being said we gravitate towards rose champagne- DP, Louise, Pol Roger to name a few

slm likes this.
  19. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    L-P, our standard Friday night sparkler. Always satisfying. Newjoint, L-P was making rose way before it was popular, and they know how to do it. It is always a challenge finding the ideal U.S. sparkling wine to serve at Thanksgiving. I serve only U.S. wines for the most American holiday. I have anew one to try this year. Cheers!

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    L P Rose very nice indeed but a bit too much fruit for my taste. I do love the fruit in rose champagne but not too much.
    As for thanksgiving and moving into the main meal- turkey- I love pairing it with Zinfandel- Turley for Turkey!

21. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Keith
    I see Apex Wine Solutions in Cary has some Paul Bara in stock for $50's. It is enjoyable champagne

Steelton Keith likes this.
  22. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I have friends in Apex - "The Peak of Good Living" is the town motto. I'll have them pick up a couple bottles. Thanks

23. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    2004 Krug- pop and pour, lemon, brioche with some limestone, taste is fresh, crisp and young. Will hold a couple more years before opening another bottle.

I buy champagnes (DP, Krug, Cristal)in a quantity and then sell some to dollar cost average. Paid $225 for 12-Krug and moved 6 for $300. Down to $150 for remaining bottles. This has allowed me to drink above my pay grade. Getting harder to do now with Champagne price escalation...

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Laurent-Perrier "Grand Siècle" (now at iteration #25) does not disappoint in spite of its price (we have a deal with the French FOC, but it's still expensive - it's outstanding though).

25. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I opened a Joseph Perrier Vintage 2012 last night. It was quite nice, and had a solid amount of fruit to balance out the yeastiness.

It’s not in the usual rotation, but I’ll certainly buy more.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JK