The Cool Jet pics thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Cool Jet pics thread

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Burnout, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

The wonderful CF-105 was a sad testament to what happens when politics outweigh national defense interests. it was fast, cool, beautiful, and totally Canadian. Too bad the same could not be said for the CF-100 Clunck, (other than the Canadian part)

Lee

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #77 ralfabco, Feb 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The above photo is an F-16A with a few Syrian markings under the nose.

The bottom pic is the brand new F-16I. The Storm

4. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
  5. tweetfaip

tweetfaip Rookie

Mar 5, 2002
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Eric Jones
    #80 tweetfaip, Feb 18, 2004
  6. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    What the hell is that in the 2nd pic????

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Looked like an old VOODOO F101

8. tweetfaip

tweetfaip Rookie

Mar 5, 2002
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Eric Jones
    The 2nd picture is from behind and below a T-38.

EJ

9. tweetfaip

tweetfaip Rookie

Mar 5, 2002
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Eric Jones
    #84 tweetfaip, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks for the T-38 pics....one of my favorite aircraft!!!

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Does the navy train with the t-38 too, or just the t-34?
    I If i get guaranteed a seat in flight school i might actually end up behind the stick of one, then i will probably go to OCS this summer, and next summer. The info never said anything about this but does the active duty start when you accept your commission or when you complete training?

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow, this thread is really long... You guys need to cool your jets...

Ok, ok, i know... That was really, REALLY bad... i couldn't help it; please forgive me...

13. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    *dead silence fills the board while Carbon anxiously sweats and loosens his neck tie*

*a tumbleweed rolls by*

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO, Jordan...! Thanks for the boost of confidence... :) No more jokes from me... (Ok, ok, you can stop cheering now...!)

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Tim:

I would "guess" active duty starts after you swear in. Perhaps someone
    else can chime in ? Commissioning date is different than swearing in.
    Commissioning date is when you are pinned after completion of OCS.

1. The Navy and USMC fly the T-45 Goshawk in intermediate and advanced
    tactical fixed wing flight school.

You would have to finish in the top of your T-34 primary class to be selected
    for intermediate and advanced tactical fixed wing flight school.

USAF has far more opportunities to find a tactical Figher / Attack slot.
    The ANG and USAFR will insure you will return to the unit mission aircraft
    upon completion of qualification in their specific tactical aircraft. You
    will have to be able to advance to the USAF tactical program after the
    primary phase is over. In USAF upon completion of primary, the trash
    flyers are tracked for the learjet, and the tactical flyers are sent to the
    T-38A.

16. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    What happens if I actually want to fly the Learjet over a fighter? Im an odd case I guess :)

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Jordan,

If this is the case you will shuttling Generals and VIP's all of the time. Also a little side note i meet one AF lear Jet pilot and that girl was totaly HOT :)

Rob

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is another one of my fav's The YF-23. It is a shame that the chief test pilot for the program was promised a slot on the F-22 program if the F-23 did not win the competition. I really wanted to see what this plane could actualy do in flight.

19. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In that case yopu'd get to fly a T-1 in flight school. You could even work your way up to flying KC-135's and other bigger aircraft. You are given a choice, and then whatever service you enter will decide what you are going to do based on your ability, the needs of armed forces and your choice.
    I think only the marines will guarantee you a seat in flight school prior to you making any commitment.With the marines, you vcan even complete your 2 summers of OCS, where you will get paid as an E-5 (pretty high up on the enlisted man pay chart) (AF and navy is only 1 summer) and then decide that you dont want to accept your commission.

20. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    All the better Rob!

Tim, thanks for the info. Im really seriously considering going into the Air Force after college but that might mean ditching my music career. The Air Force has an orchestra and a bunch of bands (I dont play a band insturment though), but chances are I wouldnt be able to get involved in music as if I would as a civilian.

The only thing I really have to do is convince my parents that the Air Force would be a good thing for me after college...that is, if I decide to do it. My dad thinks its a great idea, but my mom almost refuses :)

21. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Becoming an Officer in any of the armed forces is a good career, and not just anyone can be one. For example, for the marines program i applying to, i need to maintain a 3.0GPA. While i have that, alot of my friends dont. Many people associate peolple in the military as not being able to do anyhting else, so they join the military. Not true.
    I'm lucky to have supportive parents. My parents supported me when i decided to go to school for mechanical engineering, they encouraged me when i thought i wanted to go into law for 2 years, and now they are supporting me if i want to go into the military. My father has some friends that are in the marines, so he sort of knows what its like. One officer he knows does public relations, who he plays basketball with in the mornings in NYC before work. Another guy he knows is the son of someone who lives on our street. He commands a carrier based squadron of f-18s' (which is my dream) for the marines. Pilots in the military are some of the best and brightest. The country wouldnt trust $30million jets to just anyone.
    Jordan, if you want to fly commercial airliners, flying for the air force is a good place to start. Many commercial airline captains have that background. Airline pilots are also payed very well.

Go to the airforce website and see if they can guarantee you a seat in flight school, then request some info and read it over.

22. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you don't mind the lifestyle, a 20 year career in the military isn't a bad deal. If you make a full 20, your'e set for life on benefits, have good retirement AND are still young enough to start almost any new career you want. Two retirement checks, Social Security and 401K or IRA (if you start one) at age 65!!!

I don't believe any civilian job could beat flying jets! You can become a Doctor, Lawyer or anything else at age 38-40, but you can't spend 20 years doing something else and THEN decide to fly jets.

23. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Tim, Ive got a 3.7gpa right now and Im not really working too hard to get it. Whatever career path I choose though, I will force myself to be the best at it! If I go to OCS, I will do everything in my power graduate top of my class...just have to throw myself into it. Anythings possible...

Whatever happens, Im going to wait to decide anything until the start of my senior year in college. By then any number of things could happen that change my career outlook. I might completely throw myself into music, or I might even find something completely different I might love even more. So I will wait until then to decide for sure or not if the military is right for me.

24. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    MAke sure you pick your major accordingly. They like engineers & science majors to fly. BTW, keeping a 3.7 GPA as an engineering major isnt the easiest feat (i should know, thats my GPA:)) I dont know how the airforce is, but the marines require two summers of ocs. Each summer is different. Both are very hard both physically and mentally. I would imagine that air force OCS isnt as demanding.

25. tweetfaip

tweetfaip Rookie

Mar 5, 2002
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Eric Jones
    Tim and Jordan,

It may very well be true that the Air Force/Navy/Marines prefer technical degress to be selected for pilot training. However, in my many years of teaching Air Force pilot training, I preferred ... Drum roll please...Music Majors!

I felt that music majors were better at memorizing procedures while still remaining flexible. I saw many a very smart engineer have big problems with formation and putting together a sequence of maneuvers to maximize weather, altitude restrictions, etc.

Your mileage may vary,

Eric