The Daytona is not loved. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Daytona is not loved.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Aug 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    NOW IS THE TIME....to buy Daytona's...
    they will double and then some within 5 years..
    Surely a no brainer.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The Daytona is the most aural and delightful car, yes, it is slightly hard to steer at slow speeds, no big deal driving amongst other cars as long as not bumper to bumper, yet it is the most rewarding and tough as rocks car that I have had the pleasure of tossing around very difficult roads. It is a car for the 'black diamond' skier attitude.

I have known girls driving them, and if they could, anyone can.

I am certain 275's et al of the 60's and early 70's are great, but I would not trade P/S or AC
    or other 'comforts' for a 365 GTB4. If one needs them, buy a modern one.

It is a must to drive and enjoy one at great speeds to really understand its nature.
    Ghibli is a beautiful car and a Bizzarrini is a hotrod, but none have the combinations of elements that a Daytona possesses and that make it the car it is. Truly a driver's car.

Regards, Alberto

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I also think the only reason the daytona as not rise as other before him, is the fact that it is a 70s car....if you look back, starting at the 275, the price is always coming down.
    A 275 costs about what 1, 1.5 million euros? a daytona can be bougth about 300.000 €, a BB about 120.000 €, a Tr about 60.000....than you reach the 550 wich can still be considered a relativly modern car, and the price is about the same as a TR, and from that point it starts rising again because the cars are still "new". Regardless of the being front engine or mid engine they are all v12 and at theyr time, Ferraris flagships. I also believe it´s just a matter of time until Daytona prices go up and up, and if i had the money, you can be sure it would be the car i would buy, not only because i really love the car but becaus eit´s going to be a great investment.

4. dbuck

dbuck Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    I love Daytonas!

I have never owned or driven a Ferrari, but have been fascinated by and studied them for over 35 years. Hopefully in a couple of years when my kids are out of college, I will become a "Real" enthusiast and take the plunge. In all these years though, since the early-mid 80's, the Daytona has pretty much been the "benchmark" Ferrari. I will qualify that somewhat.

There are generally two kinds of owners (obviously more than two, but two large groups)those who own the cars because they love Ferraris, and those who own the cars as investments. Of course you can do both, and there are subgroups and many reasons for owning, driving or not driving, etc, but from a broad perspective, there are enthusiasts and investors. It seems to me for both groups, the Daytona is the "watershed" car-the dividing line between old and new. I sincerely do not mean any disrespect for the beautiful Boxers, but to me they are the start of the new breed rather than the last of the old.

I hate to compare Corvettes to Ferraris, but with the 63-67 or C2 generation, the market has flipped back and forth multiple times on the split-window 63 coupe vs the roadster. I think the Daytona may have experienced a little flip flop in the market lately, I think driven more by the investment side than the enthusiast side. 246 Dinos seem "hot" right now and I think that may be driven by the investors. In investors, there are buy and hold groups and flip for a profit groups. There has been interest in the 330 GTC of late, but I think that is because it is the last 2 seat front engine V12 that was available at a "reasonable" price, and that has made it financially feasible for restoration which also pushes the "reasonableness" of the price. It was of course a great car, and proclaimed by many as one of the best balanced all around.

So I don't think Daytonas are unloved. I think they will always be a benchmark car, both for enthusiats and investors. Sheehan has written several pieces on the rise and fall of Daytona values, but consistently they remain solid in value with respect to any other collectible car other than really rare things like GTO's or Bugatti Royales. I think they are at a point now where they will continue to rise, barring another financial disaster. I think they will settle out to be the most valuable of any production Ferrari of the 70's and most of the 60's, excepting SWB's, GTO's, and 275GTs. I think Dinos are delightful, but ultimately I think they will be worth less than Daytonas. Either Daytonas will rise more over time, or Dinos will recede a bit.

Personally, my favorite Ferrari is the 250 SWB, and not because it is 3-4M+, I just think it is beautiful. I liked it just as much when it was a 30+35K car-and could have almost afforded one.

The prettiest car I have ever seen up close was an alloy 275 GTB, silver with red interior. At the time (early 80's) it had 1600 miles and was driven monthly by its owner who at the time had about 9 Ferraris.

5. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    What I enjoy about car collecting is the time-travel aspect of re-living the experience of a bygone era. This is a philosophical position, but for me personally, contrasting 'absolute' performance of vintage cars is beside the point.
    Today Ford will sell you a $60K Mustang can do 200mph and a Caddie station wagon laps Nürburgring quicker than most every Ferrari built until the last decade, so what is the point of contrasting 40 year old performance stats? For me, I want a vintage car that embodies it's era, and it doesn't matter that a 1913 Mercer, the supercar of it's day, is outperformed by '45 Willys jeep.

The big 2-year move in 330GTC prices is surprising especially in contrast to the slower movement of Daytona values. Production volume is part of it, although we all know that scarcity does not automatically confer value. "Collectibility" has a lot of components, but an important one for me is the "Quintessential-ness" of the car in it's era, in all it's attributes: appearance, performance, intrinsic quality. The 330GTC is a quintessential sixties grand touring car, the Daytona was a bit of a throwback, a historical placeholder in a decade that would be defined, really, by the Countach.

6. dbuck

dbuck Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    I just reread my own post and apologize for the wordiness.

I want to reiterate that I meant no disrespect to the other models of Ferrari, and especially to you owners and collectors with so much more quality of experience than mine. I do think they are all wonderful automobiles. The Daytona to me is just an important milestone in Ferrari's great history.

My opinions are just that-my opinions.

7. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    The Daytona has always been (and will likely remain) my favorite Ferrari. It's nearly impossible for me to find fault with it.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    cavallino has daytonas trading as high as $550k
    ed

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Is it simply because there is little difference between a Daytona, a 550, 575, 599 and so on in concept?. Thus at the moment 550's must be getting close to the bottom of their value and with that you get a moderner car with power steering and a car that I imagine is better at slower speeds?

In my mind a 550 (not 575, headlights are too ugly) is better looking than a Daytona ...
    Pete

10. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Daytonas are good buy at the moment. The market will play catch up real soon. Don't think you can compare with modern V12s. Although they are great cars they have no real soul and will not be collectable. Daytonas IMO look great. Brutish and a real man's car. I reckon you need to grow a big fat 70s moustache to look right in one :D

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    LOL, I agree and built in the day when Ferrari drivers were considered to be macho, larger than life characters, heroes like fighter pilots (please think of a '60s and '70s Biggles and not Tom Cruise) or tycoons like Thomas Crown. Not a car for the "New Man" that evolved into being in the last 30 odd years.

12. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Please do not forget the following: The reason 275 is so valuable is because it is the last true Ferrari built under Enzo Ferrari when the company was still independent. The Daytona was being built (the latter series with non- plexiglass headlight bumper) when Ferrari had sold the company to Fiat. This plays a role that perhaps the Daytona- no matter how good will never attain the status of the cars of 275 and before....

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I have to disagree there. I think my 550 has just as much soul as my 330GTC and my 365BB. It is very special to me and will never be sold. I do think there will be some collectability. The 550 is getting more and more praise in the international press, and prices are friming up slowly. It is also getting more difficult to find a really good example. But of course there are many more built and it is unlikely to become a $200k car again.

Regarding Daytona's, in the past 5 years, as I was learning more and more about vintage Ferrari's, the Daytona was the one that seemed universally revered in the realm of sub $500k cars. Prices rose much more than 330GTC's and Boxers. At the moment, that trend seems to have been reversed somewhat. I personally think that is just a temporary thing. The Daytona is an icon, something we can not say about the GTC. It personifies the early 70ies jetset lifestyle. I love them.

Onno

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Not true. The 330GTC, 365GTC and 365GT2+2 were later developments and still under Ferrari autonomy, so if the "last of the line" sentiment should be the reason for high prices, then why did they not get the stratospheric prices of the 275? Simple, they were not associated with racing. To me, the recent of 330GTC prices is an indication that the market is getting more knowledgeable and the fact that a GTC is mechanically closely related to a 275 is starting to cause a correction. Nevertheless, the racing history will always cause the 275 to be significantly more valuable, particularly because of eligibility for events like the Tour Auto.

Onno

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #65 PSk, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Your last sentence is why the 275 holds its value. It is the "I want to join the rich boys classic car scene" brigade.

But we also have to remember that the 275GTB/C is the last racing GT Ferrari when Ferrari was a completely separate company. So while the ones you mention were indeed built while Enzo still wholy owned the company they did not race.
    Pete

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Everything you guys are saying about the 275 is true but beyond that i think there is also something else. Even if the concept of beauty can change a bit according to the people who is looking, i think it´s fair to say that the 275gtb/4 is one of the most beautifull Ferraris ever made and i think a big part of it´s value is down to it´s looks.

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Invoking "rich boys" is just silly Pete. Plenty of people own 275's in Aus where event eligibility is not restricted for later cars. The last 4 cam sold here recently made $1.5m and it won't be going to Tour Auto anytime soon. Our V12 rally cutoff is 1973, not 1968.

Last racing Ferrari? Have you heard of comp Daytona's and their record in endurance racing? The Daytona was developed wholly under Ferrari control, including the comp version.

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I agree the looks also play a big part on value of the 275. But let us not forget that large hordes think the same of the Daytona.

Onno

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Which is why It is the last Ferrari allowed at our club's classic meetings.

But there is no denying that the 275 is the last racing Ferrari of an era. The legendary era of 6 straight LeMans wins, the 250 Gto, numerous Tour Auto wins, etc. The Daytona is too far removed from that, with a far different engine, looks, handling, and also time wise. On top of that, the road car never competed - it was the first Ferrari with a special development version that went way beyond just alloy panels and a hotter engine.

I have to disagree with your assessment regarding Tour Auto participation. It may not influence prices in Australia directly, but certainly indirectly. There is no denying that these events are ever more popular and that they push up prices in Europe. By proxy, this also influences Australia's prices as Australian owners can sell their car in any country. It is a global market.

Onno

20. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I think the 275 is the better looking car, particularly the shortnose, and it is certainly much more evocative of the 60's era.

But I saw the Paris motorshow Daytona on the cover of a car magazine when I was a 10 year old boy and from then on I just had to have one!

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I can understand that all too well! :)

Onno

22. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Onno, I love 550s and would gladly have one. They are good buying at the moment and have probably reached the bottom price wise. They will hold their value well so no real pain when it comes to sell. Just not collectable as the Enzo era cars are but who cares. As for soul, well for me that means, the hesitation and cough upon start up, all the cam and chain noise with the carbys burping and farting in the background, the instrument dials choosing when they will work or not, the smell that goes along with the old V12s etc. The modern cars are just too perfect! :)

23. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Speaking of race history, there have been a few racing Daytonas and these command much higher prices than the Spyders. But it's true, the Daytona has been fairly stable in price while just about every other Ferrari model is setting new sales records year after year (but it's never been dropping in value since the late 90's either). Now, the Daytona enjoyed a pretty long production run, 1406 cars is a decent haul and even the 122 GTS/4 aren't that rare compared to earlier models. But Californias aren't that super-rare either if you count LWB and SWB together and yet...you also can't give Ferris credit for that since the car in the movie was a replica like Don's 365 GTS/4 in Miami Vice. ;)

Well one reason why the 275, despite its relatively high production numbers, is so valuable is because the design is an absolute masterpiece, IMO the most beautiful Berlinetta ever (and the open NART variant being the most beautiful Spyder). Am I alone with this opinion?

24. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #74 ersatzS2, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep I'm with you especially the NART version. The only time in my life when I actually experienced a literal 'jaw drop' was when I looked through the showroom window of Lake Forrest Sportscars and saw a yellow one staring back out. Here is mine sitting here in my office this AM, unfortunately only 12" long...

I think this thread is talking all around the various components of 'collectiblity' and beauty/design is certainly high on the list.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Who cares? This obsession with values is one of the major turn-offs to the Ferrari hobby, imo. If you want a Daytona, the lower relative value is a good thing. If you have a Daytona, be glad and drive the damn thing.