The Daytona is not loved. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Daytona is not loved.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Aug 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Isnt that a different car than the Iso Griffo we are talking about? I love the A3C (esp the one for sale in Switzerland now..) but the A3C and the Griffo road car are quite different IIRC.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I drove a Daytona with power steering and hated it. 0 Feel in the corners, i had to slow to 20 mph as i really had no idea where the wheels were.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, much like saying the Ferrari 250 GT Lusso is the same car as a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta or 250 GT Omologato.

Iso Grifo and Bizzarrini info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso_Grifo

4. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I like what you say. That suits me just fine....

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Maybe the 330 gtc guys back in the 60's thought the 275 gtb guys were the playboys ;)
    Ed

6. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Never driven a Grifo but as My Dad's 327 Grifo is almost finished the restoration, I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Daytona.

7. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Have any West Coast guys eyeballed the celeste Daytona at Fantasy Junction? Touted as a strong running preservation quality car with 23K miles.

8. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #133 bighitter2, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like this one from 1980..Nick mason's Daytona...i had a Dino..pretty,no room.. not enough power ..it was embarrassing when a 911(which cost about half) back in the day when both cars were new would walk away from me..just not enough power..and even the first add for the Dino said "almost a Ferrari" I sold Fiats and Alfa in the early 70's the Dino was very pretty however very 'Fiatish'(if that's a word) i bought a Daytona after the Dino...still have it..and still agree with the 1980 Car magazine "the car that time can't tame" (this should stir the pot a bit...)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #134 miurasv, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    I thought the 911S and Dino had about the same performance when new? In the UK it was around the same price. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino_(automobile)

I too remember Nick Mason owning that Daytona, registered on AML 222, for quite some time and he did many miles in it. It was in the press quite often. I wonder where the car is now? He said the following about it. “When we were recording The Wall in France in 1979, Roger Waters and I used to drive to the studio in the Ferrari Daytona I had at the time,” says Nick. “We were staying in Provence, about 30 miles away. It was a great car. A bit heavy on the steering, and heavy on the tyres, but a great car.”

He currently owns a Daytona Competizione.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Part 1.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBy-4tnWoM[/ame]

Part 2. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7On1rNo3w&feature=context-shows&list=SL[/ame]

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Old Top Gear Ferrari Special. Daytona from 8.25.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZ17HTXmtw[/ame]

12. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Although the daytonas might have leveled off for the time being, as many have said their time will soon come. I feel the younger generation (mine) have shifted their focus so the older carbureted vehicles are for a specific crowd and enthusiast who truly have a passion and love for them. Tuning the 6 webers is not an easy/short task but once they are synced and opened up on a stretch of road, the world around you melts away.

Here are some photos for you datyona lovers... http://ferrariserviceaz.tumblr.com/search/daytona

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  14. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The was a L version that stood for Lusso and a C version for Comp. Same chassis parts but the comp was built for racing, so it had aluminum body and a modified frame. It was what Bizzarrini considered the next generation GTO.

When you hire Bizzarrini to build you a race car you don't get a modified street car, you get the real deal, a full out race car. Thats just Bizzarrini.

15. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Yes, never driven one w/power steering, but I'd think it would be far less interesting to drive. Even at 30-50mph on winding roads, the Daytona is fun to drive, you feel it respond. The 330GTC is far more comfy and friendly, but sometimes that's not what you want ....

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #141 miurasv, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C1rajsan9w[/ame]

Strada.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfmG8S9e54[/ame]

Corsa.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLS0jhwpLLw[/ame]

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Watched a 2001 video the other day in which Clarkson rated the top 100 cars of all time. The Daytona came in 5th, only trailing one other Ferrtari.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Daytona from about 2.15.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te1kkYiDd-c&feature=relmfu[/ame]

19. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Clarkson is biased! He had a poster on his wall as a boy of a Daytona and thus that influenced him. I think the Daytona is an interesting car but lets not get carried away here. Its rank will always be behind the golden era of 1950 and 1960's Ferrari's. This will unlikely change anytime soon....

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The Daytona was a 1960s Ferrari, the design of which was started in 1966, launched in 1968 and continued to be sold through to the seventies. We all have our preferences but to me the Daytona is as important as any road Ferrari from any era and ranks with the very best.

21. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    surely dependant on how its done ?
    replacing the rack with a new one then yes it will feel totally different

but these modern electric motors that assist the original rack and remove the assistance above a certain speed - well from what ive read these shouldnt affect the feel except at parking speeds (the editor of Evo has fitted one to a Countach Qv he drives hard on both road and track and has said nothing but positive things)

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Just been looking at my Dino Super Profile by Nathan Beehl and the Road & Track article contained therein agrees with you regarding the superior speed of the Porsche 911E and 911S over the Dino. The May 1972 price of the Dino was $14,700 and the 911E $8,145. It said the Dino had a clear advantage in handling. We obviously paid a premium for our Porsches in the UK if they were a similar price. Motor magazine in the UK got better performance figures from the Dino than R&T presumably due to the higher power from the Euro engine. But look at a Dino and a 911. I know which one I'd much prefer. A Dino's beauty cannot be measured. It's off the scale.

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    I like the Daytona, had the GTB, GTC and Spyder, in its' day it was fantastic, there are too many Daytonas available to force a bidding war, there are too many other Ferrari models that can compete for the same money and offer more value. As much as I like and appreciate the Daytona, it would be on my list only if I needed to fill the void in the collection. The 599 would be my first car of choice for a much less, newer car, better daily driver, better performing etc, etc... and there are many others I would choose from as much as I like the Daytona

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The Daytona's official title was 365 GTB/4 and the Spyder was also a 365 GTB/4 or a 365 GTS/4. There was never a Daytona called a GTB or a GTC. Of course there are newer cars that are faster etc, etc but that's totally missing the point. A classic car like a Daytona, or whatever car floats your boat, may be better performing in how it makes you feel, and for many different reasons such as the looks, sound, feel, smell, involvement, nostalgia, relative simplicity, greater ability to excite at lower speeds, lower and safer limits, I could go on. That said, I respect the fact that classic cars aren't for everyone as many prefer the latest, greatest, fastest thing and interested only in technological advancement, safety, reliabilty or to get the fastest or latest car within budget. Me? I love them all, classic and modern.

25. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    As Steve Robertson (MiuraSV) points out and as I've pointed out previously, the Daytona is a sixties car! produced 1968 - 1974.

The Lamborghini Muira was produced between 1966 and 1972 and nobody seems to view that as a seventies car?

David