The DC10 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The DC10

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

No secret. Common knowledge.
    Read the OP. Again.
    Read the Wikipedia on DC-10...

In a nutshell, DC-10 doors opened OUTWARD (relying only on the latches to stay shut under pressure), instead of IN (so as pressure inside built they sealed more tightly).
    And it was possible in some instances to get a false reading on the panel showing the doors shut, when they were not actually latched and locked.

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Meant DC-10 CARGO doors in the previous post....

3. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    He didn't talk about it much other than he thought his design was good - mind you, I was only 14 at the time. Joe, my dad's mate at American refused to fly the 10 as he felt, among other things that the main landing gear was insufficient for the bulk of the aircraft - not enought wheels. Mind you, he wanted the 707 to keep going forever, that was his perfect plane.

John

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for sharing - the video seems pretty well researched and balanced..

We had friends who died in the Paris disaster. A young married couple who couldn't conceive. Traveling to pick up their newly adopted baby daughter. Coincidentally we had made friends with them as co-passengers on a JFK-OSL flight a few years prior, they lived in our city.

As mentioned in the video - In the Chicago disaster, the cause was found to be metal fatigue in one of the engine pylons. Basically one of the wing engines fell off just after lift off. That accident seems to be the one that sticks in most people's memory of the DC-10.

In the 80's I flew on a good number of SAS DC-10's JFK-OSL with no issues. Some of the SAS flights would fly the return OSL-JFK leg with a bulkhead halfway down the cabin. Behind it was stored 20 tons of fresh Norwegian salmon headed to US restaurants...

The one L-1011 experience I had I will absolutely never forget - flew very early on in it's career, mid-70s and must've been a very new aircraft.. I'd venture to say it was the most luxurious flight I think I've ever experienced... quiet, silky smooth, and the finishes and interior were perfect. Eastern Airlines, and their cabin service was exemplary too.

Another old aircraft that impressed was the Boeing 727.. talk about acceleration. That aircraft had a lot of reserve power. I understand it was also one of the last airliners with a flight engineer in the cockpit.

Cheers,
    - Art

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As do the lower lobe cargo doors on all wide-body aircraft, with the exception of the bulk cargo doors which are much smaller. Note: the original design on the 747 may have had inward opening doors but that was quickly changed when they understood the amount of cargo volume lost. In addition, all main deck cargo doors, which are much larger than lower lobe doors, are also outward opening and rely on latches to stay shut.

Several notable cargo door failures, including United Flt 811 (Boeing 747) in 1989, resulted in changes to the latching/locking/indication requirements for outward opening doors. In addition to added cockpit indications, independently for latching and locking, there are visual indicators on the door for each latch visible by ground personnel after door closing.

6. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    This is one reason I love F-Chat. I flew that TWA JFK-SEA and return flight a bunch of times in mid 80's. Big 1011. I had a first class seat but sometimes would go back to coach where one could find all 5 middle section seats vacant. I would take a blanket and couple of pillows back there and snooze away (no lie-flat front cabin seats in those days). The L-1011 reminded me of flying in a Mack Truck with wings. I always hated the DC-10.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Art. the DC-10 strut failure was due to a cracked and deformed fitting at the aft end of the upper rib next to the wing lower surface. The fitting was damaged in the improper removal of the entire engine/strut combination as a single unit when it was supposed to have had the engine removed and then the strut removed. The forklift operator applied a damaging load on the aft fitting that later failed under a full engine thrust condition during the take off at Chicago. Then a chain reaction of failures occurred that failed the forward bulkhead ("tombstone fitting") to which the engine was mounted and the whole thing rotated about the front spar and severed all the hydraulics in the leading edge that allowed the slats to retract in the left wing. The airplane was put into an uncontrollable roll.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#33 Tcar, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    It was not fatigue, really... it was due to improper maintenance procedures by AA to save time. (other airlines did it also). Douglas had specific instructions that were not followed.
    The engine attachment/pylon mounting structure was damaged in the process causing the engine to rotate up over the top of the wing and break free on T/O.

You're right, this is the one that sticks in everyone's mind. It was in the US, tons of photographic series of second by second history of the crash.

I knew an AA stewardess that was supposed to be on AA flight 191 when another asked her to trade flights with her... saved her life.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If you want to see how the DC-10 engine strut was designed you can go to Google and type in "DC-10 engine strut design" and you can see what a poor design it is. Thrust loads are reacted in closely coupled tight little bunch of fittings and a short "thrust link"under the wing front spar. The forward bulkhead is set up take a bending force if there is a failure and that is what it did. The aft clevis fitting that failed initially is 90 Deg to thrust and doesn't seem to do any more than to keep the strut aligned. The Boeing 747 strut has two huge thrust links , all aligned with the thrust. All of the forged fittings are tied into the wing ribs that are aligned to the thrust loads . The torque rib in the strut is mounted to heavy forgings that are fastened to others inside the wing that are fastened to the spars and ribs. Take a look.

10. paulyp

paulyp Karting

Dec 11, 2011
    Dallas
    Ha, did the same thing on 747s back in the day! It was a lot better laying down in couch than sitting upright in first.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If the pilots were aware that the left slats had retracted, I think they would have been able to fly out of it by continuing to accelerate straight ahead and retracting the right wing slats. They followed the accepted engine-out procedures, which resulted in the left wing stalling and the resultant fatal roll.

I believe the 747 and L-1011 both had mechanical downlocks for the slats, whereas Douglas simply kept them down by hydraulic pressure. Is that correct?

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I read (somewhere) that this procedure has been taught in the simulator routinely since... retract right slats, power up...
    On the sim, it usually works, can gain altitude.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I read that the pilot did everything exactly correct as trained and by what was in the manual. I doubt that he had the time to retract the right hand slats and level out. It reminds me of the Martin B-26 when an engine fails. Few pilots had the training or discipline to cut power in the good engine and fly the airplane in. Thirty percent of the lift on a B-26 was produced by air flow from the prop, prop wash. When that quit , the airplane went into a roll.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Bob, I read that the pilot did not know the slats had retracted, or he might have done differently and saved the airplane. Apparently the engine-out procedure called for reducing speed, and when he did that, the left wing stalled.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Jim. I seem to remember that when the airplane started the roll he applied right rudder, right aileron and made throttle adjustments. Never mind what coulda been and shoulda been, it was a bad day for everyone.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Apparently, the left engine supplied electrical power to the cockpit, which would have included a warning of unintended slat retraction, as well as a stick-shaker for the initiating stall. Without those warnings, the pilot "ran out of information and altitude simultaneously".

Continental and United also used the same incorrect engine-removal procedure, and some of their 10s also had damaged engine mounts when subsequently inspected.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The P-38 also called for reducing power in the event of an engine loss. Counterintuitive, but...

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Maybe safer on the P-38 with it's counter rotating props???? Maybe??? (At least on the US versions).

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If I remember correctly, the slats on a Boeing are shaft driven. I'm going to dig around but I think that they are deployed by a torque shaft.

jcurry likes this.
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The 747 slats are actuated by a shaft from wing tip to wing tip powered by an air turbine. No hydraulics involved.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    T- The B-26 had counterrotating props, too. The Brits were the only ones that wanted twins without counter-rotating props, as far as I know. One reason the P-322 was so worthless, among others.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I should have remembered the loud noise from the compressed air turbine when they test the slats on the assembly line. The TE flaps are also shaft driven and actuated by Acme screw shafts.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The TE flap drives on all Boeing aircraft are pretty loud and can generally be heard throughout the cabin when the pilot lowers them for takeoff - reassuring if you can't physically see the flaps. The LE drives are much quieter inside.