The Dino Battery Replacement Thread | FerrariChat

The Dino Battery Replacement Thread

Discussion in '206/246' started by 410SA, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Does anyone know which OPTIMA brand battery is correct for a 246?

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    try calling "antique auto battery". they have new tech batteries in orig looking cases.

3. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Optima for Dino - go with the red top. Works great, last long. I've got one in my Dino.

4. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    What's the number on the label? That's what the man wants to know...

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I bought an OPTIMA Red Top at Costco today - $120. Fitment # 15, if that means anything.
    It dropped right into the battery space, hooked up in 5 minutes and good to go.

Thanks for the advice guys - I really appreciate it!

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My experience with the Optima Red Top in my Dino has been EXACTLY the opposite of Keith's. It went completely dead in 5 months, refused to hold a charge, had to do an emergency replacement (was leaving for the Olympic Tour the next day) with an Interstate battery (no problems since). Returned the battery, still don't have an answer.....

I have heard rumors that others have had similar problems, although I don't know the details, and anything beyond what I have written would be rank speculation on my part.

Mark

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have had EXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE as Mark.

I'm back to an Interstate now, although there was some thought that the lousy alternator I had may have contributed to the problem. Since we fit an Alfa 164 alternator, there have been no problems with the Interstate.

dave

8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    In defense of Optima, I've had a red top in my Toyota daily driver for over a year and it has given great service.

9. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Tha was going to be another thread; If the amp meter is rated at 40 amps, the fuse at 60 amps, now you put in a more powerful alternator, what happens to the voltage regulating, battery charging, fuse blowing meltdown scenario?

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Ignoring experience shared on this thread and elsewhere on the Net, I bought an Optima 34 "yellow-top" battery in 2008. This is the deep-cycle version, which I thought appropriate as I don't use the Dino regularly and might forget to charge it.

I disconnected the battery when not in use (I installed a cut-off switch accessible through the RH opening in the front dam) and charged the battery monthly, using a CTek charger and more recently a Battery Tender.

All that notwithstanding, the Optima within a few months after purchase ran down and in the months repeated that act. It would hold a charge for a while, but now, barely 2 years old, it is completely dead.

I have a Yellow Top battery in my MGTC that's been in it I think over 10 years. It is great (knock on wood)! But Optima seems to have taken a turn for the worse these last 5 or so years. My Dino arrived from the US with a dead Optima battery and this one is also dead. Am I disappointed in the new Optima? You bet. At the price they charged, it performed much worse in my experience than an ordinary battery. Would I buy another? I don't think so. Would I recommend Optima? Of course not.

The advantage of the Optima to me was that it promised to cause less corrosion in the seldom-seen bay of the Dino. Its unreliability in my experience outweighs that. Odyssey batteries sound interesting but are not available here, so I will use a regular AC Delco or similar regular battery.

Andy
    Manila

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #11 Crawler, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
    Andy:

A deep cycle battery is WRONG for any starting application. As the name implies, a deep cycle battery is designed for applications where the battery is subjected to deep discharges before being recharged. This includes things like powered wheelchairs, boats (lighting, equipment, and amenities, not starting), emergency / off-grid power, etc. They are designed for a longer, slower (i.e. lower amperage), and deeper discharge and require a corresponding charging protocol.

Starting batteries, on the other hand, are optimized for the sudden, high amperage, and more shallow discharge of a starter motor. The vehicle's charging system then puts a very substantial amount of amps back into the battery to ready it for the next discharge (start).

Because the deep cycle battery's internal construction is not designed for the discharge and (especially) recharge requirements of a starting application, the longevity will be seriously compromised if it is used in this way. My guess is that the Yellow Top has survived so long in your TC because its starter doesn't draw very many amps, and its charging system doesn't put out very many.

Just to update my Optima experience, the Red Top in my Toyota is still going strong after 4 years.

Dan

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Dan,

Thank you for the explanation. I use the Dino once or twice a month (I know I should use it more often), so, when the Optima Yellow Top lost its charge for the first time, it had been used to start the Dino perhaps only 10 times. So that was quite disappointing for any type of battery. Also, Optima markets the yellow as a "dual-purpose" battery, "Yellow Top Optima Batteries and Blue Top Optima batteries also offer excellent performance as starter batteries for dual-purpose applications," to quote their spiel.

In a previous reincarnation, I used to race a large sailboat, principally around the buoys and the occasional offshore. To save complexity and weight, I used deep-cycle batteries both for starting the Perkins diesel in the boat and powering the instruments and navigational lights when underway. The marine batteries would last three years or so. So the Yellow Top I bought was disappointing in comparison.

I did a quick tour of the web on reviews of the Optima, and there are reports that dealers (Pep Boys?) pulled the Yellow Top from their shelves and refuse to carry them because of complaints. I spoke to the dealer here yesterday and told him about my experience and the bad news on the web. He said there were problems and that Optima had a major quality control manufacturing problem, but that they recently opened a new plant.

Perhaps it's the luck of the draw and, in this case, you are lucky.

Thanks again, Dan.

Andy

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've used a standard Costco battery, fitment group 9, for 3 years in Dino #05082 and it has been great.

It went through a deep discharge twice during my session with the dreaded Dino alternator failure and again when the previous owner's stereo wiring chaffed and shorted unfused. With all the floggings, I'm surprized it has survived so well. Since then I've been on extended 3 day trips as well as up/down the coast three times and it just rocks!

I do use a Pacific Battery, Battery Minder (has a desulphation cycle) so that might be a contributor:
    http://www.pacificbattery.com/batteryminder.html

PS - Harbor Freight has a sale on their Battery Tender for $3.99 Feb 11-15th
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #14 Crawler, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
    Andy:

You are right. I had forgotten about Optima's billing of the Yellow Top as a "dual purpose" battery. In any case, it looks as though they might have reason to regret this now. The Q.C. problems that you've heard about are a distinct possibility, in which case my 4-year-old battery probably predates them.

FYI, I drive my Dino a bit more than you do, maybe 3 or 4 times per month. I use a conventional Interstate battery and hook it up to a Battery Tender when the car is in the garage. The battery is about 3 1/2 years old and works just fine.

Dan

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    3-1/2 years sounds good, Dan. I will install a conventional battery in the Dino. Many thanks.

Andy

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I first posted about my bad experience with an Optima battery over 3 and 1/2 years ago (October 2006), and boy was I surprised to see this thread come back from the dead (something that my Optima couldn't do). BTW, Optima never bothered to explain what happened. But that is just fine, as my Interstate battery is still working great.

Mark

P.S. -
    Andy, stop worrying about batteries - just sell me your 246GT! I'll pay for the shipping....

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Hahaha, thanks, Mark. I saw your post on the Corbani car. Why not a nice 206 with KO wheels for a change? You can always repaint Dino blue.

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

As you know (via a PM exchange between us), I tried to buy your car from the dealer in New York where you bought your Dino. The problem was that internet ads often have a very long shelf life, and when I called and started to make an offer, the laughed and told me that it had been sold to the PI years ago. Too bad for me, but great for you.

Mark

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Totally agree. I've stopped using them.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interstate or NAPA seem "fresher"........maybe due to expense the Optimas are "sitting" too long before activation???

Deep discharge is especially harmful to certain types of batteries..I know Optima makes a different unit for boating type applications where accesories are expected the impose heavy drains..

21. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    #21 outofpocket, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    Can somebody tell me what the correct Group #, NAPA number, or what the dimensions are for the correct Dino battery?
    Was going to buy an Optima until I found too many bad reviews. My car is being painted and I want to make sure that I am getting a new battery that is correct.

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I just replaced the battery on my 1972 use dino and it called for a group 9 battery which I could not find however It is my understanding a group 24 battery is used by many and that is what I replaced it with . there is plenty of room in the battery box .. Hope that helps.. I just purchased my car so I am far from an expert ..

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Fitment group 9, I use Costco batteries and love them. When I had the dreaded alternator failure it was depleted twice and lasted four more years until I replaced solely based on age. Probably would have gone longer.

Also may have to factor in that I drive a bunch and use the Battery Minder brand battery tender:
    http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Model-12117-Maintainer-Desulfator/dp/B000P23HZS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348582606&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=pacific+battery+minder

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It would be nice to fit a leak-proof, gel-type battery, if only to avoid corrosion in that hard to access place. Optima would have been ideal, but my experience with them in recent years has been dismal. Odyssey sounds like a good alternative. If you fit one, let me know the model.

By the way, I have been using a tiny Redtop 30 racing battery in my Stratos.

Andres

25. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    How do you like your Redtop 30?
    I have heard, that this battery is used also for Ferrari Challenge cars and thought about using this one or a number bigger for our Dino.