The end of Ferrari, as we know it | Page 29 | FerrariChat

The end of Ferrari, as we know it

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnk..., Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's hilarious how quick people are to walk in it. Sometimes I wonder if people think I own multiple accounts and have sock puppets.

2. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    We have two different visions, you consider speed and power in the foreground while I focus on emotion and the pleasure of the senses.

3. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Bland? Hardly-fit and finish was top tier and the interface with the car was very analog in feel- just very little noise to go with the explosive performance-
    This entire discussion reminds me of the arguments of the 1990s-2000s of digital vs analog sound reproduction in high end audio. Early digital sounded artificial, unnatural in many subtle ways which took a couple of decades to identify and correct to make sound more analog ie natural. It was an expensive hobby for early adopters as the technology changed rapidly much like computer tech which made expensive early models obsolete quickly until the technology matured and eventually got a lot cheaper. Many companies came and went with niche providers still producing small batches of very expensive analog devices for the connoisseur who refused to make the change.
    I suspect the same thing is going to happen with EVs and hybrids-unnatural at first, bland , very digital etc but after a lot of evolution and cost to early adopters will eventually improve and get cheaper. The limiting factor here is energy storage tech ie batteries is moving at a snails pace with weight and charging times being the main bugaboos. If they can be overcome, EV sports cars will be very exciting- noisy no- for better or worse but will have a much more analog feel. I don’t think it will ever reach the heights of a vintage Ferrari or even an 812 or F8- the sounds, smells and aura of a time past but will be exciting in a different way.
    We just have to get through the growing pains first…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #704 paulchua, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Music to my ears.

I couldn’t agree with you more sir.

I’m glad your not the type of person that will proclaim so publicly that the Mclaren 720 is “boring” like the Rimac and LaFerrari. Sometimes I just ask folks to take one step back and realize what their saying.

hell, the 765LT? Sleepy and bland, reminds me of a golf cart actually.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #705 paulchua, Aug 17, 2022
    Car and Driver tests the 1,400 HP Mustang Mach E. Declares it boring. (I think?) too easy to drive, you know, like a golf cart.

my heart rate goes to 171 beats per minute—and not just from excitement. This thing is a workout.
    -Deluded professional car reviewer.

6. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I deduce that those who do not share your opinion are stupid !?
    Your goal is to force us to like what we don't like ???
    We explain to you rationally what our reasons are, but I have the impression that you don't hear us...
    You are a politician, it is not possible otherwise :D !!!

Bas and Gh21631 like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #707 paulchua, Aug 17, 2022
    Why you so mad?

First drive in my new 2,000HP Hypercar! The Rimac Nevera is a beast...fully electric, ridiculous acceleration, awesome design...racing the car feels insane
    -Nico Rosberg (August 11th, 2022)

I'm not the one saying I'm more hardcore than a Formula 1 champion. We got it.

Hello, Mr. Rosberg and @day355. Could you say in one word what you think about electrified cars?

Nico Rosberg: Insane
    day355:Bland

Okay...

I'm certainly not forcing you to buy one. I get it's your opinion. I even encouraged you to go to the 296/La Ferrari forum here and make sure you let them know; in fact - let everyone know. Just please don't get upset at me when you see more and more eye rolls from people.

It's cool, that you disagree with Car and Driver with their headline "2022 Rimac Nevera Hypercar Is Alive"

More power to you! You don't like Ferrari as it stands today. That's fine; that's another point I've been making; what do you want me to say: I don't like Ferrari today too? No! Heaven's no - I love Ferrari past, present, and future. (Looks left, looks right) This is Ferrarichat, yeah?

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

:)

I never thought I would have to defend Ferrari so much on a Ferrari enthusiast forum. At least the naysayers saying all Ferrari owners are a cult of "Maranello can do no wrong, bearing Rossa-colored glasses" are utterly debunked.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You are so emotionally tied to the brand that you can't see beyond it and you are unwilling to accept other people's preferences in a sports car.

Thecadster, anunakki and gliazzurri like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #710 paulchua, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    You got it exactly backward; you're confusing preference over objectivity.

Easy to prove me wrong; simply quote where I say it's not right to prefer a vintage Ferrari. (or any car for that matter.)

I'll be waiting.

11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    To be honest I believe hype is stronger than reality.
    Propaganda is so dominant right now people like Rosberg MUST collaborate to be tolerated by the new ideology.
    No other way around.
    I was at the French Grand Prix this last July and I can tell you the lack of noise by the hybrids Power Unit was a shame compared with the former NA engines.
    No comparison if we are talking about EMOTIONS not performance.
    ( frankly a 2000hp electrified car is just ridiculous)

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You have a point. I have not driven it personally, so I can't say. I have experienced the La Ferrari, SF90, 296 though - while I respect they might not be everyone's cup of tea (that's fine) - to claim they are similar to golf carts?

Come on now.

Can't one say they prefer the older cars? What is this chest pumping to trash the latest vehicles?

It's actually rhetorical. I've pretty much figured it out, and this thread helped me understand.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah, it's done wonders for UK's economy. (slapping myself) - interesting that P&R again rears its ugly head in discussing Horsepower being too high....

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Meet the Dodge Charger Daytona SRT: an EV That'll Kick a Hellcat's Ass

Sounds Like A Hellcat?

This is the industry's first exhaust system for an electric vehicle, producing a similar 126-decibel sound as the one coming from the today's Hellcat engine. Dodge calls it "Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust." When the Daytona converts electricity to power, air flows through the exhaust system and the sound produced goes through an amplifier and tuning chamber at the rear of the vehicle. You can see and feel the pressure from the exhaust coming out the back.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No, you make the same mistake as @Gh21631 here.

I NEVER said one couldn't prefer anything they like. Hell, if you want a moped over a 250GT - Not only would I be happy for you, I would laud your honesty about what you love.

Just pause, and realize something:

You are getting mad at somebody even daring to suggest new cars can be as exciting as older ones and that it's an impossible feat.

Some people here claim all (fill in whatever you want) cars are bad, boring, gulf cart-like bland, and wrong. (those are not my words, but folks here)

ROFL.

Yet, I'm not the one being intolerant and not accepting of other possibilities?

Good lord, it's scary to see the lack of self-awareness; my supposed dogma may hit closer to home than you realize.

Why yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly that people who dismiss other people's preferences are boorish.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #717 paulchua, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    They are not the fruit of progress but born of political and bureaucratic constraint.
    They are a regression in terms of pleasure of the senses and emotions !
    The unusable powers do not compensate for anything !
    I'd rather drive a 458 Speciale 1000 times than a Pista.
    Let's not even talk about hybrids...

19. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Ferraris (and other exotic ICE powered cars) are the result of over 100 years of development, trial and error and competition. Although EVs are being forced upon us very quickly by the political class rather than by competition and market forces,there is also opportunity here for those with the vision and engineering chops to come up with entertaining and immersive EV sports, super and hypercars that may (or may not)eclipse the ICE cars.
    There will be lots of failures and disasters and obsolete vehicles along the way and it will be fun to watch it happen. I see it happening already with things changing very quickly (manufacturers are drooling at having planned obsolescence for their vehicles like cell phones and computers) but I for one will sit on the sidelines and wait for the dust to settle a bit before I will part with my hard earned cash.
    In the meantime I’ll enjoy my V12

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Thecadster likes this.
  20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Keep it and buy another:) !

EnzoItaly and paulchua like this.
  21. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Again with the P&R?

Okay, I'll play, and not snitch (like many others here seem to do)

I don't think you understand how democracy works, then. The political class needs to be voted in by the people. Well, this used to be the case. The only thing folks seem to agree on is that elections aren't what they used to be.

So mea culpa, maybe you're right after all.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #StatesRights yeah? I find it ironic that some of the most prominent advocates of Jeffersonianism now are against it.

I think at least we can all agree that our education system has failed in the spirit of bridge building. Look no further than this thread.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ...and more power to you! I'm not saying you can't prefer whatever you like! I've been redundantly clear.

Your claim is that EV technology can't provide the same thrill and excitement as ICE.

I believe you feel this way. Why would I doubt your sincerity?

That a Speciale is 100 times better than a Pista...and that the 296 is right out. (these are your words.)

I disagree and think this is hyperbolic at best, and just plain wrong at worst, but hey, we can disagree.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @Newjoint I don't plan to part with my Dino V12 or Tipo F119, nor my gated. Tell you guys what, I pledge, on my honor, that if I ever see my cars banned, I will be the first to join hands with you and march in the streets.

Until then, I rather not shake fists at clouds shaped like EVs.