News

The F12 market in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BusterX, Sep 15, 2020.

1. BusterX

BusterX Rookie

Aug 24, 2016
    I've been dipping my toe into shopping for a F12, now that I have a spot in my garage. It doesn't seem like the healthiest market. I understand it will always be limited in numbers, but a couple of observations I have made:

1. The private sale market seems to be non-existent. I assume that most people consign their cars through 3rd party dealers or through their local Ferrari dealer. Buying private from a FC member would seem to be preferable, with perhaps a Ferrari dealer being a close second. It would be great to be able to chat through the history of the car.

2. The ones that seem to get to autotrader seem to be missing important options, like front lift or the LED steering wheel. So they sit.

3. I'm not spec sensitive, other than truly crazy color combos. I'm going to stay away from black as well just for maintenance reasons - but black seems to be a really common spec.

Is the best strategy to try to get the word out with the FCA chapters and hope that I can grab a clean private sale?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    You can reach out to Ferrari dealers and those that specialize in similar inventory directly. Some have car finder services and may know of ones not publicly available.
    Silver Arrow, Kulu, Pfaff, Marianetti, Motion Endeavours, Weissach, Blue Star are those I am thinking of.
    Otherwise, your thinking seems sound. The only other option would be to monitor auto trader and see what pops up. By healthy, do you mean values are depressed?

4. BusterX

BusterX Rookie

Aug 24, 2016
    Yeah, I wasn't that clear in my post. When I mean healthy, I was referring to there being enough supply/inventory and demand that determining values is relatively straightforward. With very few cars advertised at any given time, I think sellers and buyers spend a lot of time guessing and waiting. Whenever I have purchased cars out of the US, I find the process much simpler or this reason.

5. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Canada typically has 10% of the cars the US has. Because of the stronger US dollar, cars in Canada are priced illogically for domestic buyers sometimes. I think as long as you are happy with the price and feel like you aren't overpaying, you should be fine.