the F40's of Pebble 2022 | FerrariChat

the F40's of Pebble 2022

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Aug 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    plenty of drivers out there, and a few will be sold at pebble....but i dont think they will be going for less than $2 mil unless they are super high mileage or have super questionable history...gas monkey car comes to mind....

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know the car and owner. Only one I have given a 100 point score to. He has a lot of cars and they come and go but surprised hes selling that one.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Thread title: 'the F40's of Pebble 2022' - ok, how about listing them? ;) (I'd do it, but I have too many cat video's to watch :p )

6. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    i struggle to rationalize the price disparity between the F40 and the F50. I get production numbers, but still. To me, the F40 has it ALL. All business, raw, brute....Love it

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if there were only 400 F40s it would be worth 2X the f50

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its the build numbers.

BUT, by now there are likely only about half the original number of f40's in any kind of decent and unmolested state, whereas just about all fo the f50's are probably at least driver's.

and that number of F40's is likely 750, vs the f50 at 350 is still to the f50 advantage.

other thing is that f50's are mostly held in hands that dont need to sell, and form part of a big collection, so they rarely come up for sale, so when they do there is a run.
    whereas f40's come up all the time.

as for popularity, the f40 wins most contests among the big 5, but thats not the only criteria for value.....

all that being said, i would rather have the f40 than any of the others since maintenance is manageable , and it is a relatively user friendly car, and the impact is extreme.

the 288 is probably just as easy to live with but not the same impact.
    the f50 twice as difficult on all fronts.
    the enzo is probably easy enough actually, and i would not mind having one.... ;)
    and the LaF is just not desirable to me, and will be a huge hassle going forward.

tfazio, schao and Rifledriver like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    honored to be within a stone's throw of this club

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i put 5 up - each with their own window for discussion and comment. ... maybe there are more.

Texas Forever and BJK like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was just reading the old score sheets to catch up on the car for sale at Mecum. You have a very good car. Between the Sotheby and Mecum cars but very little score wise separates them.

Its a good year to buy an F40. The Sotheby car should get all the money. It will be a watermark for the current market. Owners a good guy. Makes me wonder what he got to replace it.

Texas Forever and ttforcefed like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i don't remember what it needed but we addressed it as soon as the car came back home!

17. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    #17 Superquant, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    You’ve never driven an F50; it would be clearer then

Aside from the production numbers, as driving machines one has wooden driver controls, throttle that behaves like a crude switch, non functioning brakes, clutch pedal that is like doing a workout and is built on a tubular frame with an turbo engine in it. You drive an F40 by waiting for the straights and then carefully rolling on throttle to enjoy the boost between corners. Not really a confidence inspiring car.

The other is a full carbon tub formula 1 car with a license plate, a naturally aspirated v12 as a structural member, exquisite steering, brake and throttle finesse. Gearbox like butter and clutch easy in town. Brakes that properly work yet no ABS, steering assist or stability of any kind. It’s open top and yet has no squeaks or rattles because it’s carbon construction. In short the purest race car for the road that will ever exist, with proper race pedigree. Also in my experience the best “analog” driving car that exists.

Boomhauer, Arkaid, ZF123 and 3 others like this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have driven both, a lot and it isn't obvious to me. Both have significant pluses and minuses.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    SQ does know!

20. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    well would you care to elaborate with some specifics then? What are the minuses of the cars ? In which dimension is the f40 a better car other than the static looks

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Well in the world of Ferrari looks is a big one so discounting it seems a little like saying "Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play".

Minus F40. I am not a huge fan of turbo motors. The F40 has a lot of lag and very poor off boost performance. In my late 60s I do not look forward to getting in and out of one. Race seats in a street car got old for me in my 20's.
    Plus F40 Pretty reliable car that has had impressive longevity with its power output. Easy to maintain and repair.

Minus F50. The interior noise level is a deal breaker all by itself. A client of mine drove his with he and his wife or passenger wearing aircraft head sets so they could communicate. Engine being F1 based was not built for 100,000 care free miles. Its a pretty needy piece and have had a number open for that reason. A stressed member engine in a street car was a dumb idea. Is directly related to most of its troubles. The engine flexes and there is nothing to be done about it. There is nothing easy to repair. Not a huge deal for a car of this type but is a profound difference between the cars.

For the F50 Great engine power and response, great gearbox, brakes and suspension. Jack screw in front suspension to raise front was executed beautifully. Can get in and out, even old guys.

All that said I'd take a 288 over either. Great usable car. You would never look at it and say "Gee, do I really want to drive that now"?. Good performance, looks are an 11. I know one that was a commuter for the guy for a long time. Its a great sports car that does not punish you for driving it.

22. alps

alps Rookie

Nov 17, 2012
    Zurich
    Is the smart money bailing out of the USA F40? Why own the modification when you can get the original for less?

PAUL500, Texas Forever and ross like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hear that everyone? The sky is falling. Better dump your US F40s before they are worthless.

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think what you meant to say was 'is the premium of a USA version F40 diminishing vs a ROW F40 as they are all fungible now'?
    the answer is yes.
    however, the delta is not zero, and since america is the market driving the prices right now, the usa version will continue to hold some premium to the ROW for a while.

speaking just for me personally, it holds absolutely 0 value. the euro version is superior in my view, and a cleaner look with no compromises.
    but i understand where some 'mercans are coming from

Superquant likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    To every time there is season

Turn, Turn, Turn

A time to buy

A time to sell

God swear I hope it’s not too late…