The F50 on BaT. Current bid at over $3M | FerrariChat

The F50 on BaT. Current bid at over $3M

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Octonion, Aug 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
  2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'm guessing it will bring $3,575,000

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    f50 has traded above f40 since 2009

4. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    I think there is a surge in interest for the F50 that it may eclipse the F40 in value increase. That V12

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did you read my post? lol. there is nothing to eclipse.

6. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    What I mean was that the % increase for the F50 going forward may be more than that of the F40.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Love the F50 its my fantasy and becomes evermore elusive and beyond reach as each day passes :p

mikesufka likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the f40 will hit $10M first

ross, Macula and Octonion like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    production number adjusted the f40 is at $10M already

ross likes this.
  10. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    This simply isn't possible.

As demonstrated by the results last night, the F50 requires a lot less appreciation than an F40 to hit the 8-digit mark. (Granted, the F40 wasn't the sort of example that would achieve a top price anyways, but then again, neither was that particular F50).

The production numbers of the F40 will always hamstring the values to some degree and it simply comes down to the sheer number of them. It's something that's been seen in other rapidly appreciating cars recently (i.e. Carrera GT), where new high watermarks induce more sellers ("if I can get $X, then I'll sell"), bringing more cars to market and and thereby reining in prices.

If for some miracle last night, the prices achieved on the F40 and F50 were reversed, you would wake up to see adverts full of F40s asking $5mm... And I guarantee you wouldn't be able to buy another F50 for <$2mm; the owners would simply keep them.

Boomhauer and ChipG like this.
  11. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    As one commenter pointed out, This F50 could have been about $300K of buyer’s fees at traditional auction houses, and was $5k of fees on BAT.

What are some distinct advantages of using a traditional auction house besides the white glove treatment and complete hands off approach? Is it worth the expense?

VetroresinaNL and joe sackey like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #12 ttforcefed, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    You are simply wrong and it is happening. The f40 is a must have for current and future collections. The f50 is a nice to have. The f40 trades way above parity right now when you adjust for production and over the next 10’yrs it will be the first one to hit 10m

13. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    No offense, but you seem to have a bias towards the F40 for some reason(s). I do think both the F40 and the F50 are both unbelievable cars. But hear me out. A naturally aspirated V12 will be the first kind of car to go extinct to regulation and it is sort of the holy grail of motoring. Turbo V8s like in the F40 will be around for the foreseeable future. On that basis, I value the F50 more than the F40. When Gordon Murray set out to make a new hyper car, the GMA T.40, he decided that the only power plant that is fit for that car is a NA V12. If I am an investor/collector today, my money would be on the F50 because there is probably more upside in an underdog that has potential.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im absolutely biased to the f40 and so is the market. If this want the case the best f40 wld trade at a quarter of what the best f50 costs, and thats just not the case.

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  16. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
  17. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
  18. Hopfenholz

Hopfenholz Rookie

Mar 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joel Hopwood
    Spot on

I have both (and sold my CGT) and I think your analysis is bang on

19. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013

Two actually good F40s sold for very close to $4m US weeks ago and one had 10k miles. So while there are more F40s total, there are still likely less than half the amounts compared to the number of CGTs in America. Some people here prefer US spec cars, others want Euro cars. They are rare and hard to aquire for those that want to own one.

The F40 is timeless, tiny, Enzos final car which he would likely say is his best, a single mind engineered car, it completed Le Mans and has pretty deep racing history besides, its among the most famous poster cars, the best drivers rave about its driving habits, they are EASY/CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN WHICH IS OFTEN OVERLOOKED UNTIL YOU OWN OTHER SUPERCARS!!!!

And on and on. The F40 is arguably the most important of the Ferrari supercar range and that's not insignificant or lost on those purchasing great examples today rather than spending on F50s. These things don't exclusively have to be about supply. Looks at some of the older Ferraris not catching bids lately and some of those copies can be counted on your fingers. After all, an F40 can pretty much get you into most any Ferrari related event and that also seems to have value historically.

20. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    My theory is that if you swapped the production numbers around between both cars then the F40 would be trading for more than F50s currently fetch, and F50s would be selling for less than F40s currently go for. Even the layman knows what an F40 is, I very much doubt they would recognise an F50.

With regards Gordon Murray, he recently stated that the F40 had the second best steering he had ever encountered, with the Lotus elan being the best, and he confirmed that includes the F1 in his comparison (just don't asking him about the quality of the welding!). He was far less complimentary about the F50!

Prices for F50s have risen not through sudden recognition of the car, investors are jumping on the low numbers produced as a safe haven for cash at the moment.

ross likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    F40s wld be 4x the price if they made a 1/4 of them. The math is simple.

Veedub00 likes this.
  22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    But they didn’t make less of them. That’s the whole point. Adjusting for production is a thought exercise, that’s it. Real world, the results tend to the F50 being significantly more expensive than the F40. Good for those who want an F40, I guess. Not so good for those who want to sell one for more than an F50

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013

The fact has been for a decade that F50s traded double F40s. There is no way an F50 would trade at $8m today. That gap has closed is the point ppl make. Tastes change, different things become more important to buyers as the demographic changes. Clearly the F40 is coming into its own in a big way lately.

It would not be crazy to have them go to parity in time. Crazier things have happened with other models and marques.

ross likes this.
  24. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    One advantage of the higher F40 production numbers, as demonstrated by this thread, is there are more owners to talk prices up ;)

25. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #25 rmolke85, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022

What ppl fail to realize here is this venue represent a very small subset of the owners/buyers of these cars. I am highly doubtful the prices paid for the cars are influenced by comments on FChat. The information on these cars is very easy to source now. You don’t need to be in some obscure forum to learn cars anymore.

And if you look at the first post of the thread it would tell you the opposite story.