THE F50 THREAD | Page 5 | FerrariChat

THE F50 THREAD

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 360C, Oct 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    is that right scott 360hp?

2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

at rear wheels. Conversion was 540 or something at flywheel

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    that's taking it as a 17% lose in the transfer gears ?

those runs scare the hell out of me , what if the car ever jumps the chocks at the front ?

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have no idea how the formula works. These things should be taken with a grain of salt. I view it as a bit of fun and don't for a second think it is definitive.

Done many dyno runs in many cars over the years and have never seen anything of concern. No way I would put this car in harms way!

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thanks for the videos SD. Im sure these computer speakers dont do the exhaust note justice. When I dyno'd my 348, stock and with straight through pipes, it was NUTS in the workshop. When I watched the video on the computer, the speakers dont do the amazing exhaust note justice. Im sure your F50 sounds glorious in person. As you know, what HP you have at the rear wheels is what you want. The dyno calculates the engine HP numbers. Around 15%-18% they reckon drivetrain loss for transaxle cars. The 360 ponies you have at the bags is as spot on as it will ever be. :) Ive seen cars here with 500HP at the wheels that never have a drama flying off the dyno, so Im sure your F50 will be fine. The big HP cars, tend to lose traction on the rollers. Sandbags or guys sitting in the boot is a must then to stop smoking the wheels up.

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Lots of noise from the rollers in those clips. The car isn't as loud as I thought it would be; but on the plus side it has zero boominess and it is within the noise limits of all the race tracks. There are several versions of the Tubi system. There is one that replaces the big rear mufflers with smaller hot dog type units. Maybe I will get those too at some point.

I have the professional sound recording which gives a better representation of the sound. Haven't worked out how to post it yet.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    you realise this is a 1300kg rear engined car with big tyres, right?

8. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
  9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#110 360C, Nov 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

1230kg from what I have in my reference books. ;)
    What weight over the wheels? That engine weighs around 220Kg max. The gearbox probably 60kg max. Suspension ect..... Then its all carbon fibre baby. Plus the weight is forward of the rear wheels as it is transaxle PP. "Normal" front engine/rear wheel drive cars probably have more weight over the rear wheels just in the metal of the passenger compartment. :)
    My 348 was not strapped down on the rollers and it smoked 1 wheel a few times. But my 348 only has 249HP at the wheels with measly 255's. :)

12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    *sigh*...you're thick sometimes. compared to the large horsepower cars you mate is NORMALLY putting on the dyno.

and the book you're reading is wrong. An F40 is 1230kg wet. I think scott said the F50 was 1350.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    please please more pics of her with the hard top on!!! What a beautiful car..in Yellow , she's to die for.

14. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I just went out to the garage and checked the owners manuals.. ;)

1988/1990 F40: Kerb weight, empty: 1235 kg
    1990/1992 F40 (US): Kerb weight, empty: 1350kg

1995 F50: Kerb weight, 1320kg.
    1995 F50 (US): Kerb weight, 1360kg

Greg

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    well...i weighed my Euro with full fuel and it weighed 1230kg (+/- 5kg i can live with) and i'm pretty sure Phil weighed scott's with less than full fuel, and it was 1350. he can comment when he returns.

thanks greg

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    One of the best threads ever!

Pics, videos, soundclip, feedbacks..

I'm loving this!

17. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the pics and vids! I loved reading thru this thread.

18. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ok.. it will be interesting to find out the correct weight.

Does it take much practice to drive a LHD manual quickly?
    I noticed Goobers 360C is 'flappy paddle' so that wouldnt be too bad.

And Scott.. any underbody photos.. with the mention of F1 before, how much aero is going on under there?

cheers,
    Greg

19. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    not speaking for Scott, but i have a couple of Porsche 356's, 1 RHD and the other LHD. i tend to drive the LHD car more these days - about 12k miles in just over 2 years. it's very easy to get used to. i think it took about 15 minutes when i first drove the car. of course, something as beautiful and valuable as the F50 may be a different story, especially in traffic.

20. shniven

shniven Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    It is so good to know that there is at least 1 of these beauties in Australia.

Awesome thread, thank you for all the pictures and videos, the car sounds awesome with the tubi installed. Your car is just perfect.

21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Thanks guys for the nice comments. The car is a pleasure to look at.

I love my job.

yeah, it weighed 1320kg with about 1/4 tank of fuel showing, before the std exhaust and air injection were removed. I weighed each part individually, and the saving was 37kg... which is incredible.

I remember riding with Scott at PI when it was std, and how hungrily it turned into the apex... and I have to say when I drove it, I was surprised how it seemed to need help to get to the apex... but that was with me driving and I didn't drive it before or ride with Scott driving after... so it's not a fair comparison... but theory would suggest that saving all the weight with the exhaust has perhaps tamed the tail a bit.

Pap... the bits I plated were things like brackets for fittings, shock actuator buckets, oil tank fittings, brake calliper/pipe fititngs, nuts and bolts etc etc. You can't tell what was plated... and that's the idea. True concour is the skill of making things original. Bling is out.

As Scott said, some of the new Ferrari supplied exhaust mounting stuff I wouldn't have accepted from a 1st year apprentice fabricator. I messed around with all the bits to make the best of what was there.. some old bits I tidied up and re-used. Some were fine, some were junk.

The new Tubi was far from a direct bolt on too... I'm glad SD didn't come in the day the pipes went on......... No photo's that day ;)

22. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#122 360C, Nov 8, 2006
    Now for some pictures of the interior "refresh" done by John Allan earlier this year. The interior was stripped out and all the carbon fibre trim was polished to remove surface scratching. The leather was all cleaned and treated.
    A lot of time was put into getting the doors and rear deck to fit better with better shut lines.

Note the thickness of the sound deadening material used to make the passenger compartment "liveable" - and it is still deafening!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    it's a pretty sad state of affairs when a car that's only done 3000km needs all this sort of stuff done...well not NEEDS...but you know what i mean. any other car would still be like brand new at that age...but nooooooooo...not our beloved OHOS ferraris.

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The interior is cool and has the very basic boy racer look to it. :)
    Was the gearstick ever bent SD? It looks like it in the top pic. :p

25. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#125 360C, Nov 8, 2006
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, the car was delivered to German dealer TAMSEN, first owner Ralph Bosselmann. I know very little at the moment about this part of the cars history, so if anyone reading this knows anything, please speak up. Picture one is service book.

The car was then sold to a Saudi Prince- H.R.H Prince Saud bin Turky bin Abdul Aziz. The name indicates that Prince Saud is a grandson of Abdul Aziz, the founder of modern Saudi Arabia. The Prince held some sort of diplomatic position in Paris and the F50 was kept there and saw little use. Picture 2 is a copy of the carnet document in the name of the Prince

The next photos are of # 107200 at the Paris dealer Pozzi. These photos are courtesy of Andrew Turner who located the car for MM.

The last 3 photos were taken of # 107200 when it was spotted on the streets of Paris. I am not sure who took these, so apologies for not noting copyright.