The F70 reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari XXXX by XXXX | FerrariChat

The F70 reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari XXXX by XXXX

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WarrenF355, Dec 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    Annnnd Go! You know you want to!

2. arakisfilip

arakisfilip Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2004
    I think Jim and Ferrari have parted company. Don't think it's gonna happen, at least not with the F70..

3. Amzamus

Amzamus Karting

Jun 7, 2012
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    True. If Jim buys another one-off hypercar I highly doubt that it will be a Ferrari. A McLaren is more probably. Something based on the P1 perhaps.

4. edtri19

edtri19 Rookie

Sep 21, 2012
    #4 edtri19, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    Isn't the P1 based off of the MP4-12C? So MSO would probably just take that tub and modify it for Jim although it would be horrifically expensive - just look at the X1.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Jim said he was considering a P1 rebody. And from what i read here, it would be a Pininfarina design. Too bad it wont be a Ferrari but i will be looking forward to see how it unfolds.

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Over the decades Ferrari has dealt with well off customers who want something different and also want to call the shots. Such people come with egos that clash with the collective ego of Ferrari. On occasion, such relationships have produced some very interesting cars but not lasting relationships. So it goes here.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #7 Napolis, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari had nothing to do with Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina except of course for building the Enzo that we used. It was entirely designed and engineered by Pininfarina. When it was done Luca saw it and deceided that it should become an official Ferrari and wear Ferrari badges. It's final name was deceided between Andrea, Luca and I.

My relationship with Ferrari is fine. The last time I was at the factory they told me:

"If you're happy We're happy."

There are several road legal cars I'm considering building.

A road legal version of our 2014 Daytona Prototype (Photo) should that program happen and a very light weight road car (under 2000lb) with a TTV8 producing about 800HP designed by Pininfarina.

We shall see.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    *Inserts history channel accent along with factory shots and cars.

9. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oh yes! All day, week and year, that's where it's at.

10. arakisfilip

arakisfilip Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2004
    the Ferrari F50 GT1, Porsche 911 GT1 '98 EVO strasse version, and the Merc CLR-GT1 would be great donner vechicals. Although you'd probably end up being shot by one of the fans as there are so few street versions of them (ferrari =0, Porsche =1, Merc =1)

11. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sorry, but using a vehicle/technology that is >15 years old would be a terrible base for a car such as these.

What he is considering is the future, and I'm stoked to see what happens.

12. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Id say P1 But im guessing JG will want Pininfarina to do the work not sure how Mac would take that

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #13 Igor Ound, Dec 28, 2012
    Something familiar there:

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #14 Napolis, Dec 28, 2012
    I really do like smaller, lighter cars. Look at how small Dino Competizione vs P 4/5. At 1800 LB even with only 230HP and 1967 suspension she's a real joy to drive. I'm thinking of a modern hyper version of something like that.

15. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am really sorry to have to say this. And I mean really feel bad . I love the P4/5 and I used to look up to Jim as a Ferrari fan's role model. But after reading all the baloney on here lately and the ridiculous change in attitude I am starting to lose respect for the man I used to idolize.
    So years ago when people were saying that the P4/5 is not infact a Ferrari, things were getting so heated on here and its owner was pulling all the stops to show and prove how P4/5 was of course a 100% Ferrari . Things went as far as lawsuit treats were made.
    Now Ferrari had nothing to do with it? Really?
    Shame on you Mr Glickenhaus. I know that I am probably just another hating shmuck that is jealous and all and you couldn't care less about it, but you just have lost all respect from me regarding any opinions expressed on this forum. I really hate to have to say it, but you need a reality check.

16. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    He has always stated ferrari had very little interaction with developing the car.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's hardly new news that Ferrari, except as I noted with P 4/5's donor Enzo, had nothing to do with P 4/5 and didn't even see it until after it was done. It's also hardly new news that upon seeing P 4/5 for the first time Luca decided that P 4/5 deserved to be an official Ferrari and that fact alone is what turned it into an official Ferrari with the the official name Ferrari P4/5 by Pininfarina from that point on. It's also hardly new news that after P 4/5 Ferrari shut the door on "Special Projects", a term coined by Pininfarina not Ferrari, ever being done again outside of the Ferrari system and control. Pininfarina, not Ferrari designed, engineered and built Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina and Luca didn't see it until it was completed as Car and Driver clearly reported many years ago. If your illusions have some how been shattered by this c'est la vie.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/pininfarina-ferrari-p4-5-feature

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tru dat.

19. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    Why is this topic even here? After all its about a nonexistent car that if build will most likely NOT be based on a Ferrari as stated by Jim.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think it is too strong. My take is that it is the cars that these forums are all about, and the car enthusiasts' world is a better place because of the P4/5. The squabbles about its origins and its pedigree, and who did or said this or that, have dampened the experience somewhat but the car remains.

Similarly the speculations about the F70 or F150 or whatever it is called, and what influenced it and what it could have been or should have been are both premature and frankly meaningless. When we get to see it and understand what influenced it and how, we will make our own judgement. I can't wait.

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Regardless of who said what when and did what where with who, I'd bet strong money that the F70/150 or whatever will have strong P4/5 influences, and that's a good thing.

22. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

A few thoughts.

I respect Napolis, as a fellow car enthusiast and as someone who calls them like he sees them. But there is nothing on here--such as any comments on his character--which would cause me to "idolize" him. I respect his business and I believe that his marriage and family life--as much as he has revealed here--is something worthy of praise and respect. Anybody who speaks as admirably about his family as Napolis does is worthy of respect. That includes lots and lots of members including--even Shamille and Blampee.

But, when we talk of idolization, I consider that to be something much deeper than one can learn on a chat forum. An idol is someone like George Washington, Mother Teresa or Bonhoeffer.

I simply do not understand your "hate." Napolis has been a perfect gentleman on this forum and posts very insightful and thought provoking comments. But, as I do not know him beyond this board, I think it is pretty shallow to make such comments based on posts here. I have PM'ed him a few times and he has been courteous and polite. I have not seen any "ego" rearing its ugly head.

In short, I see nothing that would cause you to use such pejorative words such as "shameful," "baloney," "reality check" and "change in attitude."

And, in short, I suggest a long look in the mirror, and perhaps a nice glass of wine to chill out.

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great post.

In my eyes, the response Jim gives simplton people such as myself when questions have been asked about the P4/5 and other, and he's gone to great length's to not only explain his answer/reasoning but also provide documentation. That says a lot, because he could simply ignore non-owners but instead see everyone here as car guys/gals.

24. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Personally I think Pininfarina should have never proposed the P 4/5 project. I may be wrong, but it seems unethical for a preferred long-term Ferrari vendor to use knowledge developed and funded by Ferrari to build their own "Ferrari" without first asking Ferrari if it's ok. But maybe this was not the case. I know I would be unhappy if one of my preferred vendors did this. It seems Luca said it's ok after the "damage" was done because that was politically correct to do at the time. The fact that it will likely not happen again seems to indicate it was a poor decision.

25. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I don't like where this thread is heading.