the Ferrari market watch thread | Page 1401 | FerrariChat

the Ferrari market watch thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ashsimmonds, Oct 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agree, Troy's behaviour has always been excellent.

kerrari, Gizzi and knocker like this.
  2. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As opposed to moretti's.

kerrari and Gizzi like this.
  3. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Try bending forwards instead of backwards :p

4. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He was looking for the torch.

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Magnifying glass !!!

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    This a million times - lots of kids are just dumped in private schools the same as others are dumped in state ones.

7. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Absolutely Mike, and a lot has to do with how the teacher and pupil connects. No way I'll be throwing 10's of thousands of dollars at private education, the money I save will go on private 1 on 1 tutors if required. The no.1 school in Qld last year (may have been the year before) was a regional State School.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Form an orderly queue of those not eligible

9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeah I agree with this, too. I don't have kids at school (maybe my view will change one day) but as the product of a public school - along with plenty of friends who turned out fine - I don't buy the suggestion that private is value for money, nor that it results in more rounded students. In fact I'm inclined to think the opposite.

Observing the many kids of my friends, I'd say there is no correlation between whether they go to public or private school and the person that emerges at the other end. If anything, the ones who are most fuchsed in the head seem to be the ones at the uber expensive schools.
    But, more than anything, I think it comes down to parenting style, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of money floating around.

10. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I like this a lot. Not sure if I love it, but I like it a lot.

Although IMO the styling is not as nice as the Pista or the J50 (in particular), it does show yet again that a car doesn't have to be spectacularly ugly to be fast.
    McLaren fanboys take note.

Gizzi, Its328 and greg246 like this.
  11. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Giddy Up!!!!

12. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    If I lived in Sydney where the public schools are well funded and full of happy kids from nice educated middle class families who only know the pretty life sure I’d send my kids there but I live in Penrith and the nearest public high school at the time had lots of sad kids in it from drunken or drugged up single parent families who all live on the delightful estate next door to the school, I know How pleasant it is because my wife and I used to live in one of the council houses with her family in our first few years of marriage, all our nephews and nieces went to the school, they used to share an old second hand computer between 4 of them on the kitchen table doing their homework, boohoo
    There was very little real money, Seela worked in a bakery and ,I washed cars, we made do and the kids turned out nice people because at home we and Seelas mother Kena the main Carer, did our best to teach them good values But even though they were all very bright individuals due to the circumstances and distractions at school, due to constant Agro and disruptive pupils from sad homes their grades were average and they all started out in basic manual labor jobs, they All could have gone to university and had a completely different start in life with that one thing lacking in the equation,
    Money
    Argue you’ve lived it and you’ve done things better or differently or more intellectually, whatever but I’d wager your not A 65 year old Samoan widow on a pension saddled with 4 kids.
    The trick is, some sorry soul has to be the first guy or gal off the boat with just his or her luggage and a few quid .
    Knock your selves out

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's still aluminium instead of carbon fibre..... A bit low tech in that regard. However, I do wonder if they've done that for a very good reason.

knocker likes this.
  14. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Would never knock(er) anyone’s lived experience.
    I would just say that the idea that one has to go to university to do well in life is complete BS.
    Especially these days, where every second idiot ends up there doing something pointless and stupid which leads to precisely nothing.

knocker likes this.
  15. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Very true Steve your absolutely right, not everyone’s academic and good people will always find a way out of the doldrums, I’m just saying I had a choice With my kids Kena didn’t have with her lot and I took advantage of that and the best facilities available for the money, that’s the choice I made as a parent

16. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  17. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I live in a culdesac and have watched every family send their kids to private schools @ $15-20k per year and out of about 6 kids 1 went to uni the rest are tradies. Nothing wrong with tradies as I'm one. But its a lot to pay for the outcome. Adrian you may be in a different situation. At the end of the day like Steve says everyone has their own experiences and makes decisions based on their best knowledge and intensions. We all love our kids and want what's best for them. And that's all that matters.

DMWC, Steve355F1 and knocker like this.
  18. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I agree entirely mate, I left school as an apprentice roofer, I really should have stuck with that

Its328 likes this.
  19. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will ad that the dilemma facing parents when choosing a school is that you only get one crack at it and the outcomes are not immediately apparent. A good outcome for one kid at a specific school doesn't necessarily translate in to a good outcome for another kid in the following year.
    Kids ( people ) are all different, nothing at all wrong with being a tradie, I know many that have done well for themselves. My observation has been that the most succesful people I know are those that ended up in jobs that they really like to do. Some were lucky and found that early in their working life, others tried a few different professions before they came across what they liked to do. Some never find it.

20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    As a young father and a 'regular Joe' of two young daughters placed in an average regional QLD state primary school, I think I have learned in my short pathetic little life that it's not how much money you pay to put your kids through school, it's how much time and effort you put into your kids to help them achieve results in school.

Here is what a little bit of time put in each and every day after school can achieve for two little outback girls.

When my girls turned 5 years old in Prep in 2017, they completed their "Magic 300 sight words" and were reading at a Grade 1 level by end of year. *QLD Education department expects kids to complete their Magic 100 sight words between Prep and Grade 2*

They told me one of their little friends in class received her Magic 100 sight words today, she is in Grade 2. My girls smoked their Magic 300 words by mid year and were reading with the Grade 1's after September school holidays.

When my girls turned 6 years old in Grade 1 last year, they were reading at a Grade 3 level towards the end of the year and would sit in with the Grade 3 kids when it came time to their reading groups. We don't stuff this crap down their throat, we just do 10-15 mins a day reading their books and home work and they enjoy it.

This year, my girls just turned 7 years old and are in Grade 2. They just started reading at a Grade 4 level and sit with the Grade 4 kids in their reading groups. Their reading levels are 32 and 33. They are the best readers in their class and in Grade 2.

They also been finishing their week long homework in around 10 minutes every Monday afternoon, so for the last few months they have been getting extra homework which has been a little full on. But I haven't let them slacken off, they chip away at it everyday and get it done by the end of the week.

That is just the reading and comprehension side of things. They are very good at spelling, writing and maths also because we help them every day. They are currently learning money, so I make them count their piggy bank money when they have a money 'exercise' in their homework. And like most girls..............they are very good at spending money.

These girls can also count to 20 in Greek, Japanese (English of course) and my Dad is teaching them to count to 20 in Turkish also. They also want a family friend to teach them to count to 20 in Filipino lol.

And my little bubba?? She is 2 years old and can count to 20 in English and Greek by herself because she copied the big girls. She is going to be Einstein when she is 5 years old.

I feel sorry for a lot of kids at their school, you can tell who helps the child out at home and who doesn't. These kids are so far behind it's not funny and they are going to struggle in life if they don't get the basics taught to them at a young age.

And as time marches on, I hope my kids enjoy their schooling and we will help them as much as possible so they can go on and achieve great things in life, in whichever way they choose to do so.

DMWC, I16, kerrari and 6 others like this.
  21. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Well said pap. I applaud the effort. The tall poppy syndrome in Australia is a joke. We all have 8hrs a day to make a go of it. Good for you and your girls. Go get em and reap the rewards life has to offer.

PAP 348 and Maranello550 like this.
  22. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice story, now can you come and wash our cars on the GG? :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

DMWC and knocker like this.
  23. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Gladly,I do a mean wax n shine

24. Aircon