the Ferrari market watch thread | Page 662 | FerrariChat

the Ferrari market watch thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ashsimmonds, Oct 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    well, you get an error light for every fricking thing that happens. I suspect there's an error light for the error light too. It's the nanny state, now migrated to cars.

What I especially love is that I can't start the engine of the 575 without the door closed. That is a benefit how?

btw an independent mechanic explained to me the technique for clipping the mileage of modern cars, so assume it's widely done in the used car trade and don't believe the odo of a car without corroborating evidence.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have to put your foot on the brake , seems stupid to me as I assume you have to pull both paddles forward to ensure it's in neutral before the key starts the thing.

355 start procedure, ensure the gearbox is in neutral, turn key ..... that's it

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    No, it puts itself into neutral when you twist the key. Not sure if foot on brake is needed, I do that anyway out of habit.

The owners manual tells you to leave the car in gear when you turn it off, because you can't trust the handbrake! No doubt they got sued in the US after a car rolled away in neutral with the handbrake on...

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Shows up when you plug in the SD2 / SD3.

Mileage "correction" is a huge temptation for importers of used Ferrari's as the speedo has to be changed from Mph to Kph anyway for compliance.

A proper PPI on a modern car will include an SD scan. Also useful to establish remaining clutch life.
    Some sellers will also pull bulbs out of the dash to prevent faults indicators illuminating.

M

5. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I forgot about that.

I have an SD2 printout from my old F50 somewhere in my files. The printout even goes so far as specifying the distance covered in each gear.

From memory the top speed the car had attained with the previous owner was 260 km/h.
    I improved on that :p

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

When I had the ECU in the F50 read as part of the PPI, the dealer had trouble with the diagnostic computer failing. I was told the later SD4's or whatever couldn't read the car. I'm not sure if this was BS or not; but the SD units on the early cars are now really old and you may have trouble finding a working unit to read the cars ECU's.

7. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

If you reckon the 575's nanny computer is a PITA, you should try a current model.
    The Speciale SH*TS ME TO TEARS every time I wash it or put it on the race scales. Bloody warning chimes and lights for any opening panel left open when you go to move it and it puts itself into neutral. You can't crawl backwards or forwards with the door open when manouvering it on to the ramps of the race scales. Puts itself into neutral and sings it's stupid head off. Drives me insane; but I guess it's a small price to pay when everything else is so awesome :p

8. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Keep in mind quiet afew 360 owners that had the very first revison of TCU have swapped these out for the Challenge Stradale TCUs. (Better shifts, and the ability to set the PIS correctly with an SD2 = longer clutch life).

If done correctly, my understanding is the mileage from the old TCU can be transferred to the CS one.

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's what I've heard as well. Even though the SD3 is supposed to cover preceding models, the SD2 is apparently more stable on the earlier cars.

With the 458 there is apparently a new "system": the car is plugged in to an interface at the dealer and connected through the net to Italy where the data is read and faults decoded.
    So the dealer has no "tool" as such, one way of ensuring that in the long term, the 458 and its successors are serviced by the dealer channel and not independents.

M

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is my understanding on the 458's and other current models as well. Kills the independents going forward which has to be against all sorts of
    anti competition/monopoly rules in many western countries.

11. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
    Mercedes has done that for years and even Chrysler do it with techs online in Detroit.

Independants can still buy aftermarket devices that are updated to link up with the cars

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    This sort of thing happened in the computer industry decades ago, in the end what happens is that the OEM says ok if I have to share my toys service then I will just charge them what I think is a fair price, triple or quadruple the normal price of spares, diagnostic tools and information.

13. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I don't think converting mileage is mandatory - my car still has mileage in miles, and a quick search on carsales reveals many more imports in the same boat

14. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah it is.
    Cars are fitted with the parts needed for compliance such as speedo, cats & tyres and standard exhaust and are inspected and signed off, then the original parts are fitted again.

All good until someone does an audit of the person doing compliance.
    e.g. Complied 5 cars: but can only evidence purchase of exactly 1 set of OEM cats....1 speedo, 1 set of tires etc etc.

(On some cars you can simply press a button to change mph to kph so no speedo change required.)

M

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmm, my QV had miles and kms on the speedo graduations BUT the odometer was still miles

16. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Interesting - they changed the face on the speedo to read in KPH, cats seem to look much newer than everything else in the engine bay, so may have been changed too, or simply taken out and cleaned - who knows. tyres were definitely changed.

17. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like your odometer is still in miles.... , so when it says 50 000, that's miles, which is close to 80 000 k's

M

18. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    yep, you're right
    good thing is I'm way below 50000 - currently sitting at 33800 :)

19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    that's yet another trap to watch for when buying an import. The speedo says kmh but the odo is miles.

Honest car brokers would of course point this out.... and there is a tooth fairy too!

20. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Easier to find a pink unicorn.

M

21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Poor Horse

22. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Whom is a broker.

23. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16548 Steve355F1, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Correct. My speedo was changed to km/h, but the odo is still in miles.
    And that's how it was when it went through the compliance inspection.

I actually wouldn't mind changing it over to km with an appropriately certified entry in the books, but it's probably more hassle than it's worth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ExoticCarSite

ExoticCarSite Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Brad
    ^ I see your 355 speedo is wonky too.
    My old man was a panel beater for 35yrs and taught me the first thing you look at is the aligning of the speedo digits to see if its been tampered with, so this scares me.

But if this is now 2 x 355's like it, it makes me wonder if its just the early 90's F car build quality norm.

25. ExoticCarSite

ExoticCarSite Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Interesting topic though. I hadn't even considered the import milage with KM speedo factor.