The Ferrari SUV Thread | Page 42 | FerrariChat

The Ferrari SUV Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Il'inglese, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #1026 sixcarbs, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    During all this month until first days of september, ferrari has been deciding the course to continue with the next cycle of models.
    The "SUV" is not going to happen as it sounds.

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Fingers crossed. Whilst I want Ferrari to be competitive and survive I don't think they should build an SUV. I was devastated Maserati and Alfa have, surely not Ferrari.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I welcome this news! While I've said I think the brand could absorb the SUV, it doesn't mean its my preference. I wish Ferrari would stick to making focused vehicles.

5. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    They could make like an Volvo V90XC or Audi Alltrack! An FF on larger, fatter tyres.

6. Sr.Pininfarina

Sr.Pininfarina Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes they did mention looking into a gullwing door option to keep 2 doors and improve ingress and egress. If you take the FF/GTC4Lusso platform and put gullwing doors on and suspension that raises and lowers for ground clearance, I could see them trying it.

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    At least they could build a crazy 4WD like Lamborghini LM

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Like this ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

That picture is from the AutoBild article a few years back, right? I think this is a rather interesting solution to add better accessibility while avoiding the 4-door layout.

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes that pic was circulating the web with the statement by Uncle Sweater about possible gullwing doors.

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I could care less if they build a SUV.
    If they do it will be the Ferrari of SUVs.
    I remember all the pissing and moaning when Porsche built theirs.
    Now ?...Who cares.

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

14. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I have told my dealer and the owners club that they can remove me from their lists the same day the Ferrari SUV is released.

Ferrari should retain its uniqueness in the new mass-market world. Focus on competing with the theatre of Lamborghini, the performance of McLaren, the perceived quality of Porsche/Bentley.

DGPF likes this.
  15. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Ferrari plans to develop a super-fast electric roadster. The announcement was made by CEO Sergio Marchionne during the Detroit Auto Show. "If there is an electric supercar to be built then Ferrari will be the first," he said. Marchionne also said that Ferrari plans to build hybrid cars, as well as its first SUV, which will be "the fastest SUV in the market." BLOOMBERG

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was right about the suicide doors! Happily wrong about it replacing the shooting brake, and didn't see the V8 hybrid only engine coming. That may be a deal breaker for me, but we'll see. I'm sure they learned a LOT from LaFerrari and the FXX/Evo cars.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Not only do I believe they will build an SUV, I think electrical is also here. It's a brave New world for sure, but Enzo once said aerodynamics are useless and mid engines are not necessary either.

Ferrari can do it all imho. I dont mind the 'all of the above' option in the 21st century.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In Europe all they can think about now is hybrids and electrics. I was there and at dinner 3 out of 4 couples had just bought some sort of hybrid volvo/audi etc. I asked why, they thought couldnt answer, and then said that even though it saves no money at present, it was the future. 3 genrations later WW2 did more damage than we think.

As to the Urus its more than butt ugly and basicaly a vw/audi, you know lipstick on the pig.

I dotn get why its important to have the fastest suv, maybe they shoudl focus on the best suv thats more than fast enough.

An electric ferrari is the future, drive a tesla and you'll understand why, the on road performance delta to gasoline is that huge and range is not a primary factor to a sportscar..

20. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Hence my decision to order a Porsche Mission One. It's the future of 'affordable sportscars'. Range anxiety is a non factor for hobby cars. Plus the look and what should be the best of German electric engineering. Maranello better get moving quickly on electric technology. Otherwise it could be like Jaguar today- just a legacy brand with only historic models wanted, not new ones.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I do think that the "performance" of an electric ferrari will so exceed that of a gas powered one, that all those ferrari is all about performance peopel will not be bale to brign tehemslevs to buy lesser performing ones.

For those of us who go to the track i can forsee ferrari offering a classic series car, somehtign really light, gas powered, maybe even stick and no ps etc.

its really going to be 2 or 3 niche within the sprtscar market. Pure electrics, gas hysbrids for the street only crowd(98% of ferraris), and a classic series for those who do street track or track only. Each will have its adhereants.

It will take a long time for an electric only car to supplant gas for track, electric weight works against tires and brakes, electrics also dont have the duration in a track enviorment, and gas powered can be refuled/recharged in minutes or less. The extra power accleration of an electric is also somewhat moot on track and the weight is a huge penalty.

Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :eek:
    Speak for yourself and your European friends. I don't and neither do 99% of my car buddies. :cool:

23. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    what will be price of this FUV? somewhere between Lusso and 812?

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Real Car people is one thing, thats what % of the market, the rest are sheep. Regulation is a one size fits all, for any serious production manufactuerer and once ferrari is hitting 10K cars thats them.

That regulatory green mantra may not be logical but its overpowering, First it was diesel because it saved "c02" even though any nitiwit could see how bad it was, now the new mantra is hybrids. Europe is also ultra regulated. On friend was going to buy a diesel now for a great price, his fear is 5 years on it will be outlawed. Point is its not what we enthuisiasts want, its regulation and the mass herd who follows a green mantra supporting that regulation even if the product is not really green, why they follow this they cant articulate but they do, its just the way it is, and I'm talkign about relatively high level management corp types who otherwise have a brain..

Personaly I think its because euro society (in genereral)sees gov and regulation as the answer to most things, its just the default setting to be a statist, the only question is what flavor of statist.

On the positive I had rented some sort of 3 series BMW with a diesel and it was a great cruiser, the steering feel and other sports attributes were near zero but for the modern enviroment it worked great and consumed little. On some twisty French mountain roads the speed limit was 90kms regardless and I could see the perfection of the new renault alpine for this space.

Meanwhile we can see cars are being built for a regulatory an "social" enviroment, and for a european manufacturer that means eletrics/electrification, including ferrari. The sell point as with paddles will be that performance is better and also that its green. Enthusiats we will still have some alpines loti Gt3's and even some ferraris to buy, but the majority of any manufactuers product line will be electrified, including ferrari.

In some way we should see this as a boon because instead of the remainig gas cars havign to chase some green idea or be comnfortable/useable for the average buyer they can go back to being raw NA drivers cars for the small niche that cares. By my estimates thats maybe 2k sales per year for ferrari, all the others be electrified Gts, Its what most of the buyers will want.

25. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Ferrari turns to hybrids, SUVs to double profits by 2022

"CEO Sergio Marchionne does not expect to double deliveries, but aims to keep pushing technological boundaries, launch new special editions and expand a customisation programme to drive profit margins, which stood at 30 percent last year.

Ferrari is also expanding its product range to vehicles that appeal to a larger demographic. Hybrids will be part of the portfolio from 2019, and an SUV is expected to be launched by late 2020.

Downsizing engines was a possibility in future as long as Ferrari’s uniqueness is preserved, Marchionne said."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ferrari-results/ferrari-turns-to-hybrids-suvs-to-double-profits-by-2022-idUKKBN1FL51Y?rpc=401&