The first twist of the key... | FerrariChat

The first twist of the key...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nicksta, Mar 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    My 1995 issue of Car & Driver is creased and has the inked rubbed off the pages describing the editors’ first drive of the F355 GTB. So, over the course of 12 years, I’ve been listening to the stereo and day-dreaming about having that amazing car someday. This week, I am awestruck that one resides in my garage and it looks exactly like the one in the picture – the car I lusted after for more than a decade. Mission accomplished.

This past weekend, however, was the moment I really waited for… my first drive. To be fair, I drove it to my house from the transporter and I ‘granny’ drove it around my neighborhood to get acquainted, but Saturday morning I plotted a route into the mountains by my home and set the alarm for 5:30AM, to make sure the road was free from RV’s and ambitious policemen. I noticed that I was actually shaking with excitement as I brushed my teeth that morning.

I slid into the seat, gave the key a half-twist to prime the systems, and let the Tubi bark to life. Simply amazing. I just took some time to admire the workmanship of 1995 while the engine burbled up to temperature and at the same time, I was mindful that I was probably waking up the neighbors.

The car is a joy to drive. It is not difficult to drive and its nuances are more amusing than annoying. It is more connected to the road than some race cars I’ve been in. You would expect that a car so vocal and stylized in its abilities would clearly communicate its acceleration. Yet, speed builds so effortlessly that I was frequently astounded by my velocity. I breezed through curves at speeds that seemed entirely reasonable until I glanced at the speedo. This car is simply brilliant. As a future owner, I could pay attention to nothing but the shape. As a current owner, I am completely consumed by the sound. I was not pushing hard, but the enjoyment came from being just inches off the road and through the apex of every corner as I caught the echo of my engine off the canyon walls. Speed up and listen to the urgency, back off the throttle, and listen the barking gargle down to idle. I can’t explain how mesmerizing it is.

I stopped only once during my drive, to get out and admire the car and the view in the pale light of sunrise and enjoy the stark silence of the desert. The only sounds were the pinging of hot metal from the rear of the car. I could see the faint heat-haze rising from the rear venting; the whole thing is just so mechanical, you seem to forget about the engineering because its masked in so much art.

During my drive, I saw exactly 3 cars. Perfect. This car was purchased not to be an exhibition of me, but for personal enjoyment of motoring that I have pursued since youth. I just wanted to share a brief excerpt of the experience with the people from whom I’ve learned a lot and will undoubtedly rely on for help in the future.

2. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    NICE!

The best drives are the ones where you are all alone, just you and the road.

Congrats!

3. EFerrari308

EFerrari308 Rookie

Mar 20, 2007
    Middle Ga
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Post Pics Please!!!

4. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Beautifully written!
    I just laughed at that "shaking with excitement" part as I did the same when I took my car out for the first time as a new owner.

Cheers! Here is to all 355 owners!

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Your story is great and reflects the new excitement which, in reality, will never leave you.

Let's see pictures, please.

Best of Luck.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Excellent - this actually gets your teeth cleaner.

8. JCM615

JCM615 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2005
    Knoxville,Tn
    Full Name:
    J C
    Wonderfully descriptive! I still feel that anticipation on the spring weekends when I take back-country drives. Congratulations on a great choice, have fun!

9. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good post.

Congrats on your new purchase.

10. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    I would like to see that article in car and driver. Anyone have scans?

11. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    CONGRATS NICK!!! I know the feeling and it never gets old!!!!!
    Post some pics!!!

12. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Congrats Nick Drive and enjoy

13. supernova

supernova Rookie

Nov 17, 2006
    Wow! I loved reading every word of that essay. I don't yet own a ferrari, but in a few years with gods grace I will get a chance at owning a 355. For until I'm just browsing around researching and researching. To find the perfect buy! DYNAMITE keep em coming!

-Awais

14. kingsdare

kingsdare Karting

Oct 24, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    David King
    Congratulations! I still get that feeling everytime I drive it, and that is most everyday!

15. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Congrats Nicksta!!! Now get the pics out and post em Mo Fo:D

16. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    Pics will be up soon, I promise! Thanks for your compliments, everyone.

17. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Did you buy this car from another Fchatter? Congrats on the Ferrari purchase. Enjoy putting miles on her.

18. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Very cool Nick; still waiting to catch a glimpse of your new car.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice story Nick. :):)
    Can wait to see pics also. :):)

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Great story!!! When I first brought my F355 spider home, I must have stared at it for over an hour after I put it in the garage!! :)

21. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Aw man, that was beautiful. I'm close, real close. I can't wait to enjoy that feeling. After paying for the car, while waiting for delivery, did you have any buyers remorse? I feel it now, I felt it when I bought my house. What the hell am I doing, that' s lotta dough. Are you crazy? That's almost what you paid for your first house. I'll sleep better when I can snuggle with a Ferrari in my garage.
    Bee Jay

22. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Magnificent! - I experienced the exact same feelings - thanks for sharing!

23. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    Still working on the pics, but wanted to answer some questions here.

I did buy the car from another F-chatter. "BOBAER" had listed his car in FerrariAds last year, but it took a while for me to finally take the jump.

Did I have any regrets? Hmm, not really, but its sort of a factor on how this purchase was handled.

I bought the car while on vacation in Maui because I was afraid someone else would get it first. This occured once I had decided it was the one I wanted (had also been looking at a black 456GT). We then coordinated the transaction between NY and HI and I arranged for delivery to occur in AZ while I was in the Bahamas. So, I was too distracted to worry about it. Delivery took 5 weeks, so I had plenty of time to let it sink in. However, on the morning of delivery, I couldn't stop pacing while waiting for the truck and kept running to the window only to find the garbage truck driving by.

In 1997, I almost purchased a 1989 348GTS. Then someone told me the service was $5k a year. That killed the plan. Last year, my Mercedes ate $10k in service. So, I decided that I was ready for F-car ownership and that I should probably go back to Lexus ownership at the same time.

I bought the car and excitedly told my family. Then I cautioned, "It will break. I probably will get stranded. It may even catch fire." If you go in with passion for the car, but a bucket of reserves, and realistic expectations, then you probably can't be disappointed. I educated myself enough (probably too much) and finally just had to pull the trigger. Under-promise and over-deliver to yourself.

24. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Congrats. 355's are awesome cars. Enjoy it.

25. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    I myself want to share that exact same experience one day soon

355B is a work of art, both in audio and visual :cool: