The French Laundry - overrated? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The French Laundry - overrated?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by F430Bill, Oct 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
  2. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Amazing! We were upstairs! Saturday night, yup.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    either you get it or not.

its like saying i can paint a Picasso... why pay $1m for one of his drawings.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i’ve eaten there. no desire to spend that kind of money again. now, if i’m being treatedd by tax payers or a gov’t lobby, i will be first in line. :D

6. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I actually didn’t try that - the “Mac and Cheese” was part of the vegetarian option that my wife had.

Look, it was all very interesting. Flavors, presentation, absolutely top-notch service… A long evening to be sure, you need a lot of stamina! You’d have to be a real world-class eater to go there more than once a year or so, IMO!

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I've never been to the FL...haven't been up to Northern California in years. But I never begruge anyone their price. If I don't like what I get for the money, I don't go back. I don't know if my favorite Italian restaurant in Los Angeles is "the best"... but I've never been disappointed, and they always indulge my special requests not on the menu (usually a risotto)...nothing tricky, just what I want the way I want it. Their costs have gone up but everything I go there for hasn't gone down. My second favorite LA haunt is just a "joint"...it has been there for 20 plus years, their waitresses were well worth going to see but now it seems there are more gay guys. The food is very good at best, and some other dishes in the past have never seem to work for me, so I ignore those. I always over tip at both these places because I get exactly what I want, every time. The Italian place I usually visit alone...for lunch. The "joint" is where my wife and I go just to be with each other.

Rifledriver and JWeiss like this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've been a bunch of times, and yes one year 3x... In my opinion, he has slowed down a bit, and is mentoring the next generation of Chefs so some of the dishes are not as innovative as in the past. But the overall experience is well worth the money. What you are paying for is the Ferrari of Food preparation and service. The ingredients are expensive, the labor even more so, and the amount of labor = $15oo a head - easily. It is not for everyone.

JWeiss likes this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm all for the spectrum of restaurants. Places like TFL are special, they make no bones about the cost, but also they strive to truly be the best. and from my personal experience, they have always delivered. TFL and Per Se are truly great restaurants deserving of their accolades. We were just in DC and went to Jont - a one-star Michelin restaurant. It was very good, but not quite in the same category as TFL - yet the cost for the two of us was $2.2K. full wine pairing and truffles etc... would I go back - yes, but I would not do the wine paring or the upgrades... they did not add much other than cost. At TFL if they offer you something - then you definitely want to take it.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    You need to do Per Se and compare the two. I like TFL slightly better, but the view in Per Se is outstanding.

11. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Yeah, we might give Per Se a try given that it’s local to us.

We did get to see the Per Se kitchen on the closed circuit monitor in the FL kitchen, though.

12. French Laundry just feels tired and old.

Oysters and Pearls is so, well, 2010.

In Napa / Sonoma, there are so many better restaurants, and much more inventive ones with higher QPR.

And, for what its worth, Per Se is nice, but only if you're on a corporate expense account. Otherwise, EMP is eons better. Literally and figuratively.

F430Bill likes this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We were at EMP in November I liked it, but it was not that great. I will say it was far cheaper than Per Se or TFL. I understand cooking only vegetables and legumes is more difficult, and the flavors were strong, but it felt a bit one sided - very japanese and lots of ginger, wasabi and celtius in the menu. Morells were prominent so that was great. TFL is a bit dated, but its the consistency that is impressive. It's still up there with Arpeg, Ambrosiere, Robochon...

14. I should clarify.

EMP is and was better pre- all vegan tasting menu.

That move was, to put it mildly, one of the most bizarre decisions ever.

F430Bill likes this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It was still good but clearly not for everyone. I've been before and after several times. I will say that you do have to focus harder when you dont have any meat as your centerpiece... but for my $ Per Se and TFL is better.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    what other places are better in Napa Sonoma? I'm always on the look out... heading to Cali tomorrow...

17. Single Thread
    La Toque
    Barndiva
    Auro