The genealogy of today's F1 teams: | FerrariChat

The genealogy of today's F1 teams:

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gatorrari, Apr 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    An excellent video that shows the origins of all of today's F1 teams graphically. The only error I've noted is that Tyrrell actually became a constructor in late 1970.

SPEEDCORE, Canuck550 and jpsf1uk like this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Tyrrell raced a March in 1970... but did build & test their first car in 1970... 71 was the first full year as a mfg. in F1.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Tyrrell was known as Matra International when they started.
    The team operated a Matra chassis with a Cosworth engine.
    The "official" Matra team used a Matra-designed V12 engine (with BRM input initially).
    Then, after a couple of years, Matra was prevented to reconduct the arrangement with Ken Tyrrell because of a conflict of sponsorship, I believe.
    Ken Tyrrell bought March chassis, but recruited Derek Gardner to design a Tyrrell chassis.

spirot likes this.
  4. jpsf1uk

jpsf1uk Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The "conflict of sponsorship" wasn't quite that; in the winter of 1969-70, Matra was merged with Simca, which was the French operation of Chrysler Motors. Tyrrell wanted to keep running Cosworth engines, but as those were Ford-based, that would now have been impossible with Matra. He was offered the opportunity to run Matra's factory team, but we wanted no part of their own V-12 engine, so he took his operation elsewhere, and the only opportunity was the new March company. He was not really happy with their chassis, so he set Gardner secretly designing his own car.

Tyrrell ran the last three races of 1970 with his new Tyrrell 001, so effectively he was already a constructor before the end of the year. The car failed to finish all 3 races so he scored no constructors' points, and 1971 was his first full season as a constructor (and a dominant one).

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #6 william, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

Yes, there would have been the issue of 2 cars, one labelled Matra-Simca and the other Matra-Ford to start with.
    Also Matra, initially sponsored by ELF, was now backed by SHELL which didn't take kindly that some of their sponsorship would be used to develop a car run by an outside team and wearing ELF logos, a rival oil company!
    SHELL put pressure on Matra to stop supplying Tyrrell; that was reported in the press in France at the time.
    In fact, the chassis for the Cosworth and Matra engines were not similar, which necessitated different fabrication too, and added cost.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes Tyrrell ran coopers in F2 then Matras in F-2

The F1 problem came from Smica Chrysler who owned Matra sports not allowing Tyrrell to run a Ford engine in 70 - Matra wanted to use their leMans engine.... eventually they realized they had to do an f-1 specific engine. Stewart thought the v12 was not as drivable as the DFV- in mid range.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If I remember correctly the 69 Matra was only legal for that year - as the fuel tanks after 1970 had to be in bags - and the MS80 had lots of little tanks in the bulkhead all connected vs. larger tanks behind and along side the driver. I grew up with a Poster of the 69 race at Watkins Glenn in my bed room... with Stewart in the Matra .... one of my fondest childhood memories. ( still have the poster its in pride of place in my garage ).

william and 375+ like this.