The Gin Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Gin Thread

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Ricambi America, Mar 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackonBlack

BlackonBlack Formula Junior

May 30, 2010
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Gin and tonic with a touch of grenadine was my first indulgence when I was sixteen. Not one of my best
    moments. To this day, I cannot stand the smell of gin. Sorry guys.

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Anyone tried a Vesper? A guy at work keeps talking about them like they are the best drink ever.

It's basically a gin/vodka martini but with a splash of Lillet instead of using Vermouth.

I had never heard of Lillet before but it looks like it is available at my local liquor store. I also need to grab some more Tanq-10 so will probably buy some of each and give it a try.

Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel

3. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    Get away from the large distiller's and start trying some of the smaller batch gin's...

Much like micro-brews there is some great stuff going on out there off the beaten path.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That is very difficult to do in North Carolina where all liquor sales are by state run stores, and there are no legal internet shipments into the state (BevMo, for example)

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    start runnin' moonshine in the 348 :)

6. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    I'd grab a FF then if you are going to go into the "import business".

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I might make the 30+ mile drive out to the little distillery near me just to see how the gin is.

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #83 It's Ross, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Then call me Rosie.
    I started on Beefeater(Dad's gin) moved to Tanq.(crazy juice) then found Sapphire and haven't looked back. Didn't care for Hendricks(cucumber, blechh).
    As I'm out of all but the Hendricks I'll be shopping soon so will perhaps revisit good old Beefeater, I can always add tonic.
    Define dry please.

9. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I musch prefer Beefeater over Bombay. I haven't tried Hendricks.

10. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    It depends on the gin but with Beefeater I would say about a quarter ounce of vermouth for one martini is the max before it starts getting a wet. I don't usually measure though, so I could be off on that.

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

what a week. Glad the Ten awaits at home.

13. 430Lor

430Lor Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    TGIF.....Ten Goodness It's Friday

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #90 TexasF355F1, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I guess it's déclassé in this group, but I don't think you can beat Bombay Sapphire.

Herbalicious!

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #92 nathandarby67, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I wouldnt say "it's déclassé", I just preferred the taste of others over it. It wasn't bad at all though.

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While I haven't had Hendricks, I have had Bombaby. I really like Bombay, but I have to say The Botanist is now my go to Gin. I strongly suggest giving it a try.

20. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I've given Hendricks another try as a bottle languishes in my liquor cabinet.
    Mixed with a bit more vermouth than I normally use it was very good, perhaps more suitable for the "perfect" martini?
    My $.02

21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought a bottle of Hendrick's yesterday to give it a try. When I made a drink though it didn't taste very good. Could have been due to the fact that I mistakenly bought and mixed it with club soda instead of tonic. Was quite a disappointment!! I'll grab some tonic and report back when I make a proper drink with it!! :)

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Dude, that is a Cardinal sin !

Speaking of which... I'm enjoying some Tanq 10 right now, while watching the Cardinals vs. Pirates.

101 degrees outside. I needed to stay hydrated, so I had only one choice.

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, it was funny. I don't know how I was able to not only buy the wrong stuff, but then make a drink with it and still be surprised when it didn't taste right!!?? Guess maybe I need to pay more attention sometimes! :)

24. FloridaF355

FloridaF355 Rookie

Oct 12, 2008
    Glad that G&Ts have such a following in the States. In England Gordon's and Schweppes is the standard, always with lemon, never lime; slice, not a wedge.

Lime juice and gin is a different drink, often using Roses lime cordial instead of freshly squeezed, and no tonic added. More like a martini than a long drink. In the US you can get Gordon's Export, with a yellow and orange label. (Gordon's in the UK has a white label on a green glass bottle.) I buy the liter bottles so they are glass - the 1.75l tend to be plastic.

In the US though Schweppes uses high fructose corn syrup (in the UK it's cane sugar). The taste of US Schweppes is therefore cloying and sickly if you are used to the UK version.

Fever Tree is the answer. Excellent tonic. I've done blind taste test with Q and Fever Tree wins for me.

Never Canada Dry though. The most depressing thing is to be offered a gin and tonic as a guest and find the spice of the Bombay Sapphire fighting the sickly tonic with wedges of lime and too much ice.

I use an egg cup to get the gin measure correct and buy glasses specifically for G&Ts so that with 3 ice cubes the correct amount of tonic will fill the glass to within 1/2 an inch of the rim.

I didn't realize how particular I was until I reread this. I guess at a certain age you get to know what you like.

25. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    What are the measurements you are using for your drinks?