The Gin Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Gin Thread

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Ricambi America, Mar 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #126 It's Ross, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Nolet's is great. Tanq Malaca is my current favorite. But if I had to take one on a one way trip to Mars, it would be Old Raj.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Citadelle tonight. FTW.

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

5. NerfHerder

NerfHerder Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #130 NerfHerder, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Well, answering this question about 3 years too late, but what can I do, I'm new to the site. ( =

Unfortunately, Kina Lillet was reformulated in 1986 to remove a lot of the quinine, and relabled as Lillet Blanc. The most commonly accepted available alternative is Cocchi Americano.

For my birthday this year, I had a friend pick up a bottle of Cocchi Americano to make proper Vespers.

They're good, but ridiculously potent.

I think they're very worth trying, but the Cocchi Americano is a bit of a pain to find (especially in states where it's illegal to import wine *cough* Virginia).

Responding to a 3 year old post as my first post... probably a faux pas - and I don't even have a Ferrari... I do however, have quite the liquor cabinet.

6. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    In the Swedish monopoly, Systembolaget, there is a new gin called Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin. Any of you guys heard about it?

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    A martini is made with gin. That's why a vodka martini is called a vodka martini.

I have tried many different brands, but I prefer good ol' Tanqueray. Boodles is a good second choice. Not a fan of Bombay, though it's a step up from Beefeaters, Gilbey's or other well brands. Unlike whiskeys, I don't drink gin without mixing it with something else. So I don't appreciate the subtleties of the expensive, small batch brands of gin.

8. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    Had a couple of pours last night of the Botanist Islay Dry Gin 22. Outstanding! First time I'd ever enjoyed a gin served neat.

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes. Monkey 47 is VERY good. I first had it in London at the Ritz. Brought a couple of bottles home with me.

CW

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    …For those in the pacific northwest, has anyone tried Halcyon Organic gin, from Bluewater Distillers in Everett WA?

Liking the strong botanicals, and the 'purity' of the finish.

Bluewater also does excellent organic vodka.

(apologies if this is old news……)

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

NbyNW and JAYKAY like this.
  12. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I quite like the tea essence that comes through from that one. Refreshing in a G&T, but I don’t recall making a martini with it.

JK

Ricambi America likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bombs away Bombay.

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Yes -- I used it for G&T with standard Fever Tree tonic and (as recommended) a slice of red grapefruit.

Still, just weird. Good news, is that it's only Friday. I'll give it a whirl again tomorrow. :)

15. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    depends on what I'm drinking
    for a Negroni I prefer Monkey 47
    for a Martini; Bombay Sapphire

16. SMSD

SMSD Karting

Oct 23, 2022
    How do I get through two pages (still scrolling) and not one mention of Monkey 47? Craziness.

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Uh, post right before yours... :)

18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking back through this thread is a trip down memory lane. I honestly don't remember ever posting about the Vesper and don't think I ever did go find all the right stuff. I quit drinking quite a few years back. But sometime in the past a friend gave me a bottle of Islay Gin from these guys. It was very good, higher botanical flavor and smell than other gins if I remember right. Still have a couple drinks worth in the bottle just sitting in my bar.

https://www.thebotanist.com/en-us

19. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall