The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The fact that there are so many comparing this Corvette to Ferrari means Chevy hit their mark. Otherwise y'all wouldnt even be bothering to post in these threads.

Mbutner, italiafan, jm2 and 8 others like this.
  2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    davemqv, to your point the C8 is will not be $60k. Something no one has mentioned is all the choices you get to make your car. C8 is pulling a semi Porsche play. You want stitching, cha ching, you want the GT seats, cha ching, you want leather wrapped dash, cha ching. It does not sound like you have 3 flavors anymore (1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ) which I hugely applaud because the 3LZ never got you everything you wanted anyway. But as I demonstrated it will add up quickly. Oh red seat belts cha ching. See. Porshce is the best at this and it looks like GM has been studying more than just the 911. So no I personally would not consider a 360 if I was shopping for a C8. Its something that I could have already purchased. Same with the F355 but those are so damn hard to get off the brain. Now a F430 Spider might just tick the box for me.

A little off topic, do you all recall when the C6 Z06 hit? Back in 2006 people were paying $20-30k above sticker to get it. The common phase from them was life is too short so spend it now. Then is 3-4yrs those same people were trying to sell for way more than it was worth because they spent too much up front. You will see this big time with the C8. So I can see a dealer loaded up C8 getting in that $85-90k range with a market adjustment fee that all GM dealers are known for.

davemqv likes this.
  3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Yes and no. For me its a no. I would NEVER buy a corvette without a manual. Period. End of subject. Don't care how great it is. If I ever get another corvette it will be another C5Z for track days only. So as I said earlier, its time for me to move on to other experiences. The ones Chevy is going to pick off are not on this forum. They are the ZL1/GT350/GT500 crowd that are already spending $70k on a new pony car and all the loyalist who always trade up. I really don't think someone who is looking to spend $100k on something that was $200k new are going to change their minds and go C8. Why would I?

4. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I whole heartedly agree :)

davemqv likes this.
  5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My point is, people are comparing it to Ferrari. Thats the best marketing GM could ever ask for.

6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Its not a car designed to attract ferrari buyers, but it'll attract many others. Given the specs and price, the car will sell like hotcakes. It’s a home run for GM. I don’t doubt it'll dominate on the track eventually too.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I see what you're saying. $60k is base price.

Hmmm. As I gaze into the future with my crystal ball I see.. many young men barely out of high school with overextended credit. Lol

Yeah Porsche are masters at the add-on's. BMW and Ferrari are pretty darned good at it, too. Certainly doesn't make this car seem like a better deal to me but as this thread has proven people kind of like what they like.

I'm sure that GM will sell a lot of these cars. That's cool. More power to them. Maybe some folks who were eyeing that 360 will opt for this instead. If the C8 drives down prices on 360's, 430's, and 458's, I'll send Corvette a fruit basket to thank them and buy another car!

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    I got shouted down the other day by some sofa expert who profoundly denied that to make a C8 that you want to drive and for it to look great you’re going to have to spend circa $100k

Maybe I wasn’t clear, but that could well mean waiting for the vamped up model Z06/GS

I think the $60k base model is going to be a dogs dinner.

Just my 2 cents

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> I think the $60k base model is going to be a dogs dinner.

I can see a fleet of these being sold to the rental car companies.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anunakki likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Craftsmanship in an F430? Come on now..that's a bit of a streach dont you think? Sticky interior, warped dashboards, leather shrinkage, poor wearing seats side bolsters) taillights that snap the mounting studs, exhaust manifolds that fail, water leaks, I could go on.

Let be real..

rbryson, BOKE, Frontv12 and 5 others like this.
  12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I always wondered why it wasn't possible to make something look cool, be fast, and be "cheap"........looks like this vette is gonna perform pretty much like a mclaren, look like a mclaren, and be much less, i imagine it will sell TONS.

Benny Blanco and anunakki like this.
  13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    your 430 is cool, but lets be real owning a soon to be 20 year old ferrari is not for everyone, yes depreciation vs repair costs is probably going to be the same but for me, the 575 just pisses me off bc i've had multiple instances where my car is stuck 4-5 weeks in the shop waiting for parts to get out of customs. That isn't going to be an issue with a new corvette. I had an awesome tech I've been using for years who passed away last week, now i have anxiety about finding another trustworthy indy shop who knows what they're doing(many say they do but they don't).....that is also something you won't face with a corvette.

NuorderSG likes this.
  14. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Chevrolet hit a home run with this car! I have not really been very interested in Corvettes, or really American cars in general, in the past (I did have a brief ownership of a Mustang but I just didn't really like it) but this one is impressive. There are 3 things I don't like about it (the automatic, the rear end and the interior) but all if they fixed those, I'd think it was a great deal at $100K+. For a $40K discount to that, I could probably live with the interior and rear end if they just put a manual in there - that's a hard requirement for me.

I'm going to be paying close attention to future iterations of this car - if there is a manual Grand Sport-type option, I will be quite tempted! And this is coming from someone who only owns European cars (3 Porsches, 1 Ferrari, 1 Aston and 1 Range Rover)

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Better not hold your breath waiting for a manual :(

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting how many people are going insane with their negative comments about this car. I’m not an American sports car fan by any means, and I am not a candidate for this car, but GM nailed it perfectly for their audience. You’ll be able to buy a serious, high performance sports car and customize it for anywhere between the low $70’s to over $100k. And, I’m sorry, but it does look pretty nice. A lot of muscle for a good price, which is what Corvettes have always been. It isn’t meant to be a Ferrari. It’s a mass produced, very attractive, high performing American sports/muscle car. I give them an A.

17. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes Ferrari is a better handling car, but let’s be real most are used for casual driving and dinner, very few owners track them. This corvette will accomplish most of what most Ferrari owners want for less money and with less headaches.

18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Better handling... Says who? Lets see how the C8 does on the track before we declare an entire brand as better handling. Corvettes have been stomping on Ferraris at road courses for over twenty years.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Corvette candidates are not buying Ferrari’s. It’s really as simple as that. But, for the money, they are getting extreme performance and a cool looking package. GM will sell a boatload.

xplodee likes this.
  20. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    That’s not true, a guy with a $70-100k budget may be considering a 355,360,430 and may get this instead of dealing with an older Ferrari and it’s quirkiness. It could affect the used Ferrari market quite a bit bc this car has a look that no car has had previously at $70k price point....used 355 and 360 are already having a hard time moving without manual transmissions, this corvette certainly won’t help

Mbutner and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  21. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

That and a couple of members have already said they own both in this very thread. I have a friend who has a 488 and a C7 Z06 (and a maclaren 720s and some others). He will buy a C8 performance version and he will buy more Ferraris in the future. They are not mutually exclusive.

G. Pepper and xplodee like this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    totally agree. no corvette quenches the ferrari thirst. just a different passion and mindset.

BOKE and Thecadster like this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I suppose a few, but I don’t believe someone looking for an older Ferrari experience is the same person who will frequently, if not daily drive a Corvette. Also, barring few exceptions, a new car buyer wants a new car experience, and Ferrari obviously has nothing to offer them as an alternative.

24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    No it really isn't. That's 100% not true. At all.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  25. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Well, it used to be that a corvette was a corvette and they made a lot of them. But now it seems that Ferrari wants to take the same path, so maybe we will see some competition between the two on the same level. But in my mind a Ferrari will always command more attention from car guys than will a corvette. But maybe I'm just old fashioned...