The Great 348 Brotherhood Poll (348 Primer) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Great 348 Brotherhood Poll (348 Primer)

Discussion in '348/355' started by No Doubt, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is the 348 New Owner's Primer ready for Prime Time?!

1. Yes. The 348 data is accurate and well organized and ready for prime time.

2. No. The data is accurate, but not well presented/organized.

3. No. The data is inaccurate (but the organization and presentment is OK).

4. No. The data isn't accurate and the style/organization is NOT ready for prime time.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  2. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    The 348 Primer is the best, most helpful, piece of reference information for the home mechanic I have ever seen for any car anywhere. Thanks so much!!! I like the one big page. Loads just fine on my computer.

Here's a tidbit in the spirit of giving back. I went to purchase Stabilant 22. After searching around a bit I ended up at a Car Quest parts distributor "open to the public." When I asked for "SL5" contact enhancer, they quoted me $99.99 for the 15ml size like online sources, however then the guy says: "best I can do is $66." (!) Hell, I was just trying to find a place to buy it locally without paying for shipping. He had to order it, but it was there the next morning.

3. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2nd that... my Firefox wont even load the whole thing, I HATE IE, but at least it will load the whole page... in about 5-7 minutes.

ND, i'm pretty good at writing html code... I do it by hand with notepad, I have lots of freetime too, i'd be happy to help, if you need.
    Here'e my company website... http://www.dsslv.com I wrote the code for the whole thing, by hand!

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!

5. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Except for me. I voted wrong. I hit the wrong button in a hurry....DOH!! I think it's awesome and a value to the community. Thanks for the good work.

6. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    A real help to 348 owners. Thanks for going to all the work!! I refer to it often.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  8. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    OOOPS!!!! Boy was I wrong again, dern it!! Kragen and Car Quest do not sell Stabilant 22. They sell 22A, the 4-to-1 diluted version. So for $99 or $60 you are really only getting 3ml. of 22. I am returning it! Posthorn in NY, www.posthorn.com sells the 5 ml field kit with a 15 ml bottle and brushes for $31.65, and they have larger sizes, all of pure 22, for a bit less per ml. That is the best price I can find anywhere in the US.

Best regards,

Randy Lee

9. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Steve, I'll be copying the tech page to the forum in the next few weeks. I already copied half of it, but somehow manged to delete the whole thing!!!

The way I see see, it works out better by putting it into a forum format as it allows people to target what they want and also to use the search function. Plus, more importantly it lets others add to it without having to create some custom website.

10. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    G'Day to all Ferraristi

Well im in the market for a 348ts (maybe GTS) and have been looking for 6 months or so for the right one. I found your Primer the other day and WOW what a huge amount of information for a newcomer like myself. WELL DONE ! One point I would like to ask help on. I've downloaded 2 vol's out of 3 of the workshop manual during which I had joined the 'Megaupload' site as required. Trouble is when I go to download the 3 vol (and you need all three for it to unzip) the Megaupload site claims the link has been lost because of the following

Reasons for this may include: - Invalid link
    - The file was deleted because of violating our Terms of service

Does anyone have a copy of this third volume or can the owner of the webpage correct the loss of the link ??

For any of the 348 ts ownwers out their any comments on what to watch out for when I finally buy would be most welcome, My direct email is

[email protected]

Best regs from Oz
    Reddesire

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Welcome to Fchat brother!! ;);)

Dont forget to fill out your profile. :):)

12. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I wouldn't look for that file to be back at Megaupload any time soon. I believe that once you buy a car, and then register your ownership with Ferrari, you will be able to download the manual from them. I was not able to confirm this because apparently my car's, a Mondial T, manual is not available for download. No surprise about that. According to the Ferrari mechanics I know, it's about the worst manual Ferrari has put out in years.

Anyway, I think the 348 manual is available. I would certainly want a digital version. Somebody sent me a xeorxed copy of the Mondy manual. It's OK, but I sure miss being able to search.

13. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Thanks for the heads up. Anyidea what happened to Vol 3. So frustrating to have the first two and not the third given its needed to unzip the lot.
    As for my prifile Ive added a bit more. Basically I've been an italian car nut forever with the usual dream to get into Ferrai one day. In the meantime I've been enjoying my 'poor mans' Ferrari, an Alfa Romaeo Montreal which for a little V8 (2.6L) still pumps 200BHP and is a ton of fun. Upgrading to the Ferrai will be about the only thing that would convince me to sell it..... and yes its a big upgrade.
    Spent a long time looking for a good 308 GTS QV or 328 GTS but the more I look the more I see that I can get my bum into a 348 for not that much more here in Oz.

Can't wait.......

14. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I have a copy you can download, but it will cost you!!!

You'll have to register at www.theferrari348.com.

:D

15. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Well I have registered at this site (which seems quite good actually) but cannot find any obvious links or downloads so you have my full attention..... what next !

16. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    You have a Montreal! Wow. I always wanted one of those, but the credit union that gave me a "classic car loan" only would loan me about half of the price of a Montreal whereas they loaned me 4/5s of the price of my Mondial.

As far as the 308 vs. 348 question, don't even think about it. The T drivetrain is worlds better than the older V8s. Sure, if you could get a Dino, thats a sweet all transverse Ferrari. But the V8s are too heavy and too high, at least compared to the marvelous T. Add to that the well-sorted engine managment and general high build quality and I have no idea why, in the States, some 308s are more expensive than comparable 348s. Marketplace irrationality I think. :)

That download site may have decided that the manuaul is copywrited material. Somebody here should be able to email it to you. If somebody has it and it's too big to email, let me know and I can help.

17. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Yeah, I registered too. Nada?! There is a Downloads forum, but no threads. Huh?

18. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    It's in a private area. To get access you ahve to post up pics of your 348. :D

PS. Sent you a PM with the download location of the manual. :)

19. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Hey SY,

how's the new site going? Also weren't you or someone else (mseals?) going to chop up ND's tech faq into more manageable sections?

20. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    After all, a Mondial T is a sister under the skin. Actually, I am hoping that the 348 engine and transmission section will have more technical details than the weak, (for Ferrari), Mondial T manual.

Thanks,

Randy

21. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I'm working on it, if you can call getting to spend about 2 hours a week on it working on it.... I'm in the middle of a huge proposal, as part of a team for a $2B+ 10-year contract... and just haven't had any time...

Had to put a number of things on the back burner, including this...and to do it properly, at least what I think is properly, is taking time...

Mike in Kuwait

22. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ready for prime time - although some organizational improvements can be made, and many good suggestions above (windows instead of one page) it is being used a lot now, and is extremely helpful for a new owner like me. I love it! Thanks, No Doubt. Tom

23. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    let me know if you want any help....appreciate your efforts!

24. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Thanks very much. I have this now although I noticed the pages scanned vary in size when you print. Any idea on how to standardize all the page sizes in Adobe ?

Thanks Again for the download

25. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal

Yes indeed I've owned many Alfa's but the Montreal stands apart from the others. Had it 14 years and I think its given me a good heads up on what its gonna take to own/maintain a Ferrari. I've rebuilt its lovely 2.6 L V8 and the body's in top condition due to Bertones Zinc dipping process when they built the bodies for Alfa.

As for Ferrari's, your right, In Oz the 348s are only slightly dearer than a good 328 GTS or 308 QV (my original choices) and I hadn't considered the 348 assuming it would simply be beyond my budget but from all I can see I should be able to get a 348ts (my new choice) in top condition with about 80 to 90k Kms for under $AUD 100,000.
    Looking hard at one now which is shaping up to be just want I want. Fingers crossed. I've found it a little early relative to funds availability.... !!