The hidden water hose that few people change on an early 308. | FerrariChat

The hidden water hose that few people change on an early 308.

Discussion in '308/328' started by JohnInItaly, Jun 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    #1 JohnInItaly, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    There is a hidden water hose on the top of the engine that most people never change without pulling the engine, and mine just started leaking, after 47 years of hot water and heat completely rusted through one hose clamp and the hose itself. If you are someone who does an engine-out major service every three years, then you can stop reading here. I have owned my own very original 308 GT4 for 31 years, and take pride in doing as much as I can myself, or at least in understanding how the thing works. I took my time and found everything that I needed at Mid-County Napa Auto Parts in town and Ace Hardware for a small Weber Carb spacer that was missing, and the perfect air box foam seal. I read on this site that every water hose on the car is standard size straight tubing except the simple 90 degree hose into the radiator. I can go back to church now without fear of saying something bad, because I used all of my foul words fighting that one hose. My arms also look like I lost a cat fight from the tight work quarters, but I heal well. I use Ferrari Chat to research things, and now post my own experience, to hopefully help someone else.

Remove the air cleaner to access the top of the engine, but there are small sleeve spacers between the lower air box and the top of the Weber carbs that would just love to jump into the throttle body throats, and there is no way to cover the carbs (except maybe perfect size pieces of cloth) until the air cleaner is off, which is when you would lose the spacers. But the butterfly valves are closed when the engine is cold and not running, and the spacers could be retrieved with the right magnet tool, if you lose one. I used a small probe in one hand to to poke the spacers out of the rubber gaskets in the air box, while lifting with my other hand. The one in the right front is the most likely to be pulled loose because of the interefrence with the air cleaner intake hose, and I could see that it was missing before I started. Upon reassembly, I applied a small dab of clear silicone to the top of the carbs where the sleeve fits, hoping to minimize movement during the next air box removal. I had three different magnets-on-a-stick, but none of them would fit insite the carb throats, and I added a new tool to the collection at this time.

My goal was to change the two big hoses at and under the thermostat without removing any of the castings. Ferrari uses metric hoses, but local stores have inch sizes. The thin alloy tube is also of smaller diameter than the alloy engine casting to which it connects, but Ferrari uses a single diameter hose. 1-1/2" is a perfect fit into the thin alloy tube, but a tight fit onto the casting. The bottom one is in a really tight space. I used the 1-1/2" on the bottom. Start on the left side of the car and remove the breather box and all hoses attached to it. It would be a lot easier without the oil filter, but I just recently changed the oil and did not want to disturb the filter, and there is enough room. With the thin alloy tube out, you may have to cut out the lower hose under the thermostat housing with a razor blade, if the clamps are badly rusted. With all hoses removed, take time to clean the alloy castings with long strips of emery cloth and you might as well clean the top of the engine, too. Reinstall the problematic lower hose first. I tried various installation angles for the bottom hose, but ended up pulling the bare hose onto the alloy flange from the right side of the car, with my large hands in the small space between the bottom of the carbs and the top of the engine. Pushing from the left side of the car, the smaller diameter thin alloy tube did find the other end of the rubber hose, even tough you cannot see that connection from above, and the alloy tube rotates until you find the perfect original postion to reconnect to the hose on the left side of the car, not forgetting the positioning rubber insulated clamp near the oil filter. For the top hose, without moving any of the castings, the gap between the top two castings is tight. I chose the same larger 1-3/4" for the top that someone else had already replaced, prior to 31 years ago. That bigger opening size allows you to bend it in the middle to install on the inside first, and then work it around the thermostat flange. Grease on the castings helps everywhere. The top hose wasn't too bad to install.

Take time to check positions of hose clamps to make sure that they will not rub through something nearby. I replaced old fuel hoses, while I was there, and tightened or replaced clamps that were not directly involved with the hose project. The water bleed valves found on the BirdMan site are extremely useful, and note that my early 308 (BUILD # 5) did not come with a bleed valve location on the thermostat cover casting, which had to be added. Check the coolant level and bleed out the air in the system a couple of times before taking a long drive.

I hope that this helps someone else, and thanks to the others for posting their own helpful hints.
    View attachment 3156352 View attachment 3156353 View attachment 3156354

Attached Files:

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am confused. Engine out service on 308?

Never heard of that.

Again confused. What hidden hose? I am people. I can assure you whatever hose you speak of I do change it.

308 milano and Martin308GTB like this.
  3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Maybe some pictures -attachments which are NOT broken- would help ??

Best
    Martin

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He has owned and serviced it for 31 years and yet seems to suggest we know as little as he.

waymar and lm2504me like this.
  5. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    #5 JohnInItaly, Jun 10, 2021
    Rifleman - How many of your 27,395 posts are not hateful personal attacks? You started in on me before I even finished the post! The second line of my post implies that my information is not going to be of interest to experienced mechanics, but to other owners who are trying to understand their own cars. Stop following EVERYTHING that I choose to write, and I will not respond to your "contributions". Fair enough?

6. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    For your benefit, I am posting photos of new water hoses typical of ones that you will find in an automotive store. You can also search the internet for more photos of new generic water hoses. What some people, with a different perspective on cars and life in general, might find interesting, is that a water hose so completely destroyed was actually still functioning in a car that is frequently used, and that is why I posted a photo of the old hose. Stop following my posts, because you only discourage otherwise helpful people from participating.

At the risk of offending more people like you, I will now add that there are threads on Ferrari Chat about how best cut water hoses to the proper length. The two suggestions that I found were a razor type knife for silicone hose, and "sawing" for rubber hose. At the automotive store, they used a crude saw to cut a one foot length at a crude angle. I used an electric "chop saw" saw with a blade for wooden moldings to make very nice cuts in exactly the right place, after looking at a cross section of the hose to make sure that there was not a metal reinforcing wire inside.

If this information is not helpful to some of the advanced engineers and mechanics who appear to live and die by their posts on this forum, please just move on without crappy responses.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

moysiuan, MFlanagan and Martin308GTB like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had to assume it was finished because it was posted. If you chose to amend it that is a very different thing. Your first sentence I'll just ignore because it is demonstrably false and stupid. I just reread your original post and see zero mention of experienced mechanics.Would you mind pointing it out? And you call me names. FU.

You imply others are as inept and as poorly educated on the cars as you then you proceed to display your ignorance. You are the poster child for why my clients are steered away from buying owner maintained cars.

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #8 Martin308GTB, Jun 10, 2021
    LOL! Made my day.
    Must have something to do with my recent experiences, but I find such posts increasingly funny.

Best
    Martin

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think you have had your money out of that one

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    John why the GE silicone?

Saabguy likes this.
  11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Changed water hose’s (first time noob) on a QV and changed the one under the Plenum without removing the Plenum lol, doesn’t get much harder then that. Took about 4 weeks for my hands to heal up.

moysiuan likes this.
  12. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    Officially, the little spacers are just supposed to float loose on their own, which creates anxiety for non-professional mechanics like me, that one or more would drop into the carburetor(s). There may be a future service function where the top of the carburetors must remain perfectly smooth (i don't know) and so I did not want to permanently glue them in place with a stronger adhesive. I only used a tiny dab. I am just hoping to slow down their movement when I next remove the air cleaner, and that tube of silicone seemed like a safe experiment. If it works, I will post a follow up in the future, while watching for meaningful alternatives here on FerrariChat.

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yep I did the under plennum hoses in situ as well, it can be done but as you note only a noob as I was too who doesn't give up easily would do it this way.

No question these hoses are probably still original on many cars, they last way longer than one would expect.

308 milano likes this.
  14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh so you used them in the spacers in the air filter housing gaskets to hold them in place.

15. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I try to keep an eye on parts that may wear out on all of my vehicles, but that hidden hose (not easy to see under the top hose and thermostat housing) was not on my radar, until I started searching for the water leak. Maybe my experience will help other owners to remember to check that hose during the next time that their air cleaner assembly is removed.

moysiuan likes this.
  16. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    Yes, a dab at the base of the carb stud, and then I lowered the clean spacer onto the silicone dab with a twirling motion to spread the silicone evenly. With the spacer in place, I wiped away any visible excess, and I will see how it held in the future. No damage to the parts, and it can't be worse than having them move freely on the studs, was my thought.

moysiuan likes this.
  17. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Every day is a school day! - Gene Winfield

Thank you, John, for your write-up!

moysiuan and JohnInItaly like this.
  18. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I never figured out if those spacers were supposed to stay inside the rubber carb gaskets, or stay on the studs during air box removal. Mine seem to be about half and half during air box removal.

I think, under ideal circumstances they would stay with the gaskets and lift out with the air cleaner base. If I was going to be using any adhesive, it would be to attach the spacers into each gasket, BUT, then i would be concerned about one dropping out into a throttle bore during reassembly and me not noticing. So, i just install all 16 spacers sans adhesive onto each stud and then drop the base on.

And yes, I always count everything and lay it out on flat cookie type sheet, 16 spacers, 16 washers, 16 nuts, before proceeding any further.

I also visually inspect each carb bore with a strong light for anything else that may possibly drop down on to a throttle plate before proceeding further,and then plug the bores, or just cover the whole carb arrangement with nice clean cloth to stop anything else from getting down in there.

Doug

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Italians like to engineer in a little excitement, otherwise it'd be German :p

Saabguy, Martin308GTB and MFlanagan like this.
  20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008