The history of Team Williams | FerrariChat

The history of Team Williams

Discussion in 'F1' started by pnicholasen, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    This may be old news, but I ran into a very interesting film on Netflix simply called "Williams" which gives an in-depth history of the team and family. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kylec likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I saw it and found it a very sad documentary.... but well done and if you are not familiar with how Frank Williams started out... its a great reminder.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I saw it on a transatlantic flight a few years ago. It was well done but depressing, the family tensions and financial stress laid bare. It’s been a painful journey since the days of Rosberg and Jones.

4. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I thought it was excellent (as was the McLaren documentary which also came out a few years ago). I recently picked up a well worn copy of Doug Nye's 1982 book Racers: The Inside Story of Williams GP Engineering. Reading about Frank's childhood made me think of the old movie Tommy (with the original lineup of The Who, as well as Tina Turner), where the boy's father goes missing during the war. He had a great deal to overcome, and became a remarkable success story through massive personal motivation and an unwillingness to give up. He's experienced the highs and lows, and that is part of what makes the history of F1 competition fascinating. I hope they can keep improving as they appear to have already this season.

5. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I would say the pain started even before that. The Frank Williams/Piers Courage relationship seemed very much like that of Colin Chapman/Jim Clark with an eerily similar outcome.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree about the McLaren movie. It was well executed and downright inspiring.