The Holey Daytona | Page 29 | FerrariChat

The Holey Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great minds think alike Matt.
    I telephoned the FOC this morning, to warn them that i will not be coming, not unless the weather forecast improves, as it says, rain all day today, rain on Sat. and rain heavy and light all day there on Sunday.
    They told me they are thinking of canceling it for the first time ever. They also said if they had to rearrange it, it would probably be early Sept.
    Grant

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Will do Armen, when I get the car on the road.

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Just spoke to them myself and it is definitely on. I'll decide tomorrow or even early Sunday morning whether to go or not.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The engine ran in the car for the first time today.

Matt. FOC say Sunday is still on.

5. cc8s

cc8s Karting

Jan 28, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great Photo Peter.
    The blue makes a great contrast with the background.
    PM sent.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    How did it go? It looked nice and sunny at Silverstone anyway on Sunday...
    CH

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    CH.
    Sorry I did not take my car in the end.
    I had to make a decision on Friday, and based on the weather forecast I decided not to take it. It has not be waxoyled in the doors etc yet.

When I got to the concours it was dry, but it did rain hard for a while, so I was glad I did not take it. But it was not as bad as the weather forcast said it would be. It rained all morning in Cambridge and that's only 35 miles away!

Lots of nice Daytona's there though. Pic's posted in Paul's thread.
    Grant

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Wise move to keep the Daytona parked in a nice dry location.
    The debut should be on your own time and not to a schedule plus in a less demanding situation than the show field...
    CH

10. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    The correct column switch for the the Daytona is as follows:

1. pre 1972 should have the stalks fluted (petal).

2. 1972 may have both either the fluted or the square. US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards dictated in 1972 that passenger cars have wording on all manually operated controls. On some, like my Daytona, the turn signal has stamped 72 (for the year the US standard was implemented) but all on the base (requires removal) will have the 72 stamped.

3. 1973 all will have the square. For a more detailed explanation see the post on the daytona registry.

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #711 Wheels1, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the info HG.

Latest update:-
    Rob found the the new hoses Ferrari supplied to connect the fuel tank to the transfer tube started to weep through the material. The special yellow hose also supplied by Ferrari that connects the transfer hose to the pump started to disintegrate within a week of having unleaded fuel in. Which as you can imagine, I was not impressed with, and will be sending all back to Ferrari, for them to investigate. The yellow hose was an easy fix with a modern hose, and then Rob wrapped the new hose, in the yellow cover from the old hose.

The transfer hose was more of a problem, and has been talked about in other sections on F-chat, it is hard to find something to do the job, that will take be immersed in petrol constantly. In the end I found a company in the UK that makes hose on special order, for all sorts of cars including F1 cars, and they came up with a what they called a pro fuel solution, of a silicon hose that they line with a green rubber liner and then wrap the out side in another rubber layer to make it look old, they then bake it all together. This was made on Tuesday this week and fitted yesterday.
    Because of this hold up, the carbs still need to be set up and a few other electrical jobs need to be sorted out. We will get there soon I hope.

Pic. attached of new hose and cable ties which should be correct for the car as far as I can tell. [ or as near as possible].
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Grant
    Would you please supply the name of the company that will make these hoses.
    Also where did you buy the ties?
    Your car is spectacular.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I could not buy the hose direct from the people that make it, [Samco] but I did talk to them first to make sure it would do the job, their agent is http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/
    It is called Samco pro fuel classic [ with green liner] 35mm ID. The cost was £80 inc. post etc for 0.5m so its not cheap, and its normally sold in 1m lengths! They bake every two weeks on a Tuesday.

The ties came from
    http://www.voltimum.co.uk/fullSearch.jsp?mode=simple&fullsize=yes&leftnavi=no&universe=fullsearch&keyword=+Colson+cable+tie+0319+16# again you cannot buy direct and they are sold in box's of 100! Also very expensive.

14. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    thank you

15. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Nice parts! Thank you very much for posting.

We also changed hoses on the Daytona and replaced all water hoses with silicone hoses.
    http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silicone-polyester-reinforced-hose-13mm-choose-from-15-colours.html
    I like the classic pattern - sad, that they put their name on one side of the hose, but that's not a real problem (can't see the downside of the hose).

ASH also offers the 90° reducing silicone elbow and blue silicone fuel and oil fluoro straight hose - I asked twice, but they won't produce this typ in black:-(

IMO pricing is very fair!

16. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Hi Grant,
    I have met you a few times over the past few years at various FOC do's. At Sandringham you were photographiong my seatbelts! Sorry I missed you at the concours.
    I have only just come across your thread and the car looks fantatstic. When do you expect to be out and about, have you actually been out on the road in it yet? I haven't read ALL threads so forgive me if I am asking something, which is already covered.

And the big question is what do you plan to do with the car once you have finally completed the re-build. Do you plan to keep it as a show car or will you plan to put a few miles on the clock?
    Kevin.

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Kevin.
    Thank you for your kind words about the car.
    Yes I did get to drive it when I first got it in 2007, mainly going to restorers in it, trying to find one I thought would do the best job.

My intention is to drive the car, to the extent I have just sent another e-mail off to them saying don't worry about any small unimportant little things, as we can do them in the winter. I will show the car at displays if asked, but I have not done the car for entering concours, but I may get badgered into it buy the local FOC club members. It would be interesting to see what they make of it being a conversion.

As for the finish date, I am hoping within a month from now, as long as nothing else goes wrong!
    Grant

18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Grant,

A few teething problems after a restoration as thourough as yours are not unusual, to be expected rather. You do want your fuel distribution and brakes to hold their liquids though:)

Main thing: She;s back together, looking smashing, and moving under her own 12-pot steam!

I'm going to miss this thread...

19. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP

If I were you I would definitely take a bit of time to show it. Enter it into concours for a bit and then put some miles on. It'll never be as perfect as when you finish and the concours, plus other invites, which will come your way make showing the car a lot of fun. BUT there is nothing like driving it.

Have you had any feedback on the "conversion" issue. I wouldn't thnk it would make any difference on it's eligiblility for entry in concours? It's an interesting question. I certainly hope it is eligible.

Andway, I can't wait to see it.

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #720 Wheels1, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Caught testing this week, driven 10 miles testing this week. One of the benifits of being on an old airfield.
    Sorry Kevin, I have not had chance to ask the question, but i think it would be ok as the head judge [ I think he is the head judge, Nigel ] has asked me a few times if i will be entering it.
    Grant

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Simply well done to you and your team!!

Pete

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Grant,

She is looking superb.

Request: Video! Just take us around the airfield in this beauty!

23. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Can anyone help with a source for the aluminum tags for a daytona. The tags that have the Dr, Dl, Hazard. I have seen the tags listed at Super performance but they are upside down. The tags for the dino have the square at the bottom, and the tags for a daytona have the square part at the top. Obviously they are not interchangeable.
    Any help would be appreciated.

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Guys.
    Collecting the car today, going in a taxi, so no going back.
    The weather looks good for today and also for Sat. so i will be taking it to Silverstone on Sat. for the world record attempt. I will try to take some photos with, the other 1000 Ferrari's supposed to be going [ that is if i am not smiling too much ]!
    Grant

25. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Good luck and enjoy!