The (In)famous 358 rises from the dead! | FerrariChat

The (In)famous 358 rises from the dead!

Discussion in '348/355' started by plugzit, Nov 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    #1 plugzit, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A few teasers of the infamous "358" rising from the dead. Thanks to Dave Helms for technical and historical information, and to Mike Donohue for rescuing it from auction death! Current Stooge ownership is freshening the car for track duty, general fun, and possibly to move the car on to new stewardship where its' history and performance can be appreciated by somebody who can afford it! Note beautiful new wrinkle powdercoat on airbox by Worco Powder Coating 562 602-0477 (old guys may know this is owned by Tony Pisano of Pisano & Matsubara funny car fame). Also reupholster of seat in Alcantara by Noel at Trimline Upholstery 310 540-0649. Challenge car #27 of 32. More to come as the project progresses!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    So, this is what exactly....a 355 with a 348 Challenge engine installed???

3. msa

msa Rookie

Jul 19, 2007
    Linkoping
    Full Name:
    Marcus Ahlberg
    love the challenge exhaust

4. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow. Does look like a 355 with a 348 motor, but has 348 mirrors.

How did this one come to have a 348 motor? Or is it a heavily re-worked 348?

5. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hood, doors and exhaust hangers look to be 348 as well. I'll say 348 car with F355 rear clip.

Rob

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Spot on! :D:D

I assume it had a hit in the rear and it was repaired using a 355 rear end? :D:D

Or someone just wanted a 355 rear on that car?? :eek::eek:

Powder coat and retrim looks great! :):)

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
  8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #8 davehelms, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    Nice work for a special car!

A wood wheel... that's new.

After melting numerous plastic catch bottles I fabed the aluminum one, it drove the tech guys nuts... A pretty sound arguement for header heat shielding but... there was never any time and those headers got welded a few times from off track expeditions and vibration.

The 355 rear and gutted doors was an effort to get a slipperier body work for straight line speed.

Still have the T6 engine pan and grid work? As many times as that went on expeditions off in the weeds after clearing the gravel traps I had to make something to save the sump! Looks like that is long gone now but if the sump and shifter are still intact, it worked.

Well done, it has needed this type of special attention for a looong time but you HAVE to loose those Super Trap flanges. Those were a "what do I have on the shelf, last minute tack on" as it was being loaded for Laguna and I was sure the exhaust flow would melt the rear bumper off the car. The bent up exhaust twin tips it once wore got recycled and are on the side exit exhaust of the ranch rat Land Cruiser for "spark arresters".... The BLM guy had never seen Ferrari exhaust tips and bought it.

Guess its time to pack up the "make it stinky and go fast" loaner box. Call me with your fedex number when you know your schedule as that must go overnight and heavily insured.

9. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Never seen a fire proof wooden steering wheel in a race car.....maybe you can get a wooden dash to compliment the 50's boat look...

10. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    At my age, any time I can get wood, I do....

That catch tank is a work of art, and we're so proud of it, Vince polished it. Should have a SR logo on it.

The exhaust tips will be replaced with some off my old can and returned to SR for placement in the SR Hall of Fab Fame!

I thought skid plates were a tech requirement at all GFRT events.....considering who will be co-driving this car, I think it needs more. Of course it'll be on the car!

11. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Is that the OBD connector I see hanging under the dash in that one pic? :D ;)

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Cool project guys! :D :D :D

The wooden steering wheel isn't fire proof - and that's a safety feature! :D In the event of a severe collision, rather than dangerously pinning you in the burning car, it will disintegrate to ash, allowing you to escape with ease and grace... to be extinguished yourself by the marshals. :cool:

Having said that, keeping the car away from the Armco is preferable. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I always remember Joe Pisano "running" the funny car operation, although I think all the brothers were involved.

I remember the Pisano & Matsubara car as a child, then seeing Joe Pisano with Mike Dunn in the 80's. Joe Pisano passed on in the '90s, never heard much from the Pisanos after that. I surmise Tony (his brother) must be up there in age, no?

Good for him - looks like a cool car...does anyone still have the Pisano & Matsubara Funny Car?

14. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Yeah, Joe ran the operation, he's gone. Tony's 78. The old car was at SEMA. Visiting the business (across the street from Venolia, next door to Wedge Engr), was kinda like going to a museum, what with all the old photos on the walls and even the old 200mph Bonneville Studebaker there.

15. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Thinkin' 'bout a wooden splitter-kinduva nice "prow" for the thing?

16. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Just assembled an engine for a racer last month that was a JP2 block alcohol hemi.
    Joe designed that block.....

17. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    He's got a pallet 4 high of those in various stages of finish there...I kinda wanted them. Tony said he was thinking of having them melted down.

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Now, with glasses on, I see the skid shield leaning against the wall... didnt see it on the first viewing.

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice work Bruce.

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Is that Allie Ash's old car?

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Good eye. We believe it is. I'm in the process of collecting the history. Interesting thing is these Challenge cars got morphed after they dropped from the series in '96 (being squeezed out by the 355's). This car was converted to SCCA ITE specs, although it appears incomplete so far. We're working on a suitable steering wheel. Still thinking of an exhaust system, probably something based on the scrap parts B and I have lying around. Maybe FBB has some spare junk. I like Ernie's tail pipes so there's that possiblilty depending on goth's availability. The front clip is coming back soon so we'll put it together and do a Stooge detail. Thinking about better striping, maybe CS style. Also got to do the interior paint. Then there's the second race shell and belts (Challenge ran both), if we get that far. Mostly I wouldn't want B to destroy the car on its first outing without me on board. Trying to do this without blowing through the budget. So far so good, though.

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Unless I've fallen at hit my head, it is indeed his car.

23. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wonder what it looked like way back when as a fully fledged 348 Challenge car?

Managed to find any history of which car it was and how it did all the way back then?

Extremely interesting project either way, I remember seeing the state it was in with the front bumper being torn to shreds and so on, not nice to see a Ferrari that way (or any car for that matter). Kudos to those who are putting it right and taking it to the track to be used as it was intended to be.

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #24 davehelms, Nov 22, 2010
    What.... is that supposed to make us feel better?

This is the Vince and Bruce show working on a Famous Race Car! Everyone reading this knows better than to think there is any "Budget" involved.....seesh, what utter nonsense! Bruce, Vince, Race Car and Budget... 4 words or the combination of them have no place in the same sentense, this is a "cost be damned" project.

I have a few spare Challenge seats in the loft for your "at any cost" project.

25. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #25 jetfixr, Nov 22, 2010