The Jalopnik flame thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Jalopnik flame thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Got a feeling they are going to make Bob famous over there lol....

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #52 TheMayor, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ah yes... I can see it now:

"Lone Fchatter 1%-er upset with Jalopnik! Epic fail!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Fair enough. It seems to me that if they no longer have corporate access to the manufacturers, the problem will sort itself out on its own.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    ?? Ferrari has recently approached them for detente so that's not an issue.

They allow readers to comment. Some don't like what those readers say? I'm stunned.

Not.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, I guess that detente isn't working too well, is it? Funny way to take an olive branch while tossing a hand grenade in return.

Sorry Jim but making fun of people injured or killed in a car crash is boorish and uncalled for. They can do whatever they want with their website...

...and we can be outraged by it.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari approached Jalopnik. Jalopnik in no way offered to change their reporting to suit Ferrari. You're outraged by comments made on the internet by anonymous readers of Jalopnik's articles?

I'm outraged by Ferrari dealers who attempt to censor legitimate criticism of how they treated a customer vs the same customer's treatment in a McLaren dealership.

I'm glad that Jalopnik stood up to that Dealership and continues to publish that blog.

That's what real news sources do. They stand up to Tyranny.

I remember what the US Attorney General Told the Publisher of the Washington Post would happen to her if she published something Nixon didn't want to come to light.

"You're going to get your tit caught in a ringer" She published it and Nixon's Presidency came tumbling down.

Exposing Tyrants and Tyrannical Behavior is a sacred duty of the press.

I'm glad Jalopnik has the Balls to do it.

Equating Jalopnik with comments their readers make is absurd.

You're outraged. Go to Jalopnik and comment. Commenting there will be seen by a lot more people than will view your comments here.

7. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    That is true. And post the replies if you can......

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Tyranny? Really? Ferrari of Ontario is tyrannical? Just what do you call "tyranny"? Companies aren't allowed to defend themselves anymore? If you do, you're being tyrannical? On what planet does that make sense?

So, if someone published a blog about your company that you didn't like and thought was unfair, you would be "tyrannical" in defending your company? Maybe even threaten them with a lawsuit?

Hardly.

Ok Jim, you don't like this dealer for whatever reason. Fine. Maybe you have a perfectly good reason not to like them. But I think you're going over the deep end here. You're talking about two different things which have nothing to do what one another.

What does a dispute with a Ferrari dealer and Jalopnik have to do with bad behavior? You have to admit, these comments are completely out of line, right? If someone posted "it's good he crashed, dumb ass MF. He deserved it. What a moron" here on Fchat, we should just sit around and say "well, that's your opinion"?

These guys love to troll. Some of us don't like it. I don't see the big deal in calling them out.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bob

Once again if you want to "call out" Jalopnik's reader's comments do it on Jalopnik where those commenter's will see your "calling out".

The Ferrari Dealer didn't like the blogger's opinion and threatened him (absurdly) with legal
    action. Last time I looked people in Canada are allowed to have opinions and blog about them. Noting the blogger said was untrue and this particular Ferrari's legal threats didn't cause Jalopnik to quiver in their boots and stop publishing them. I applaud them for that.

Once again the comments you refer to are Japlopnik's readers not theirs. Implying Jalopnik should censor their readers freedom of expression because you don't like what those reader say remains as absurd as the first time you suggested it.

To answer your specific question yes it is clearly the behavior of Tyrants to censor expression of opinion they don't like with absurd legal threats as this dealer did in this specific case based on Jalopnik's reporting of what happened.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why? It's off limits here? Aren't we car enthusiasts? We can't comment on what another sight says about us or other owners?

But, let's stay on the subject.

I contend that they lurk here for "juicy" stories to post, have unfairly and inappropriately spread rumors about our members (including ****348 which blew up in their faces), and allow, if not foster, their readership free rain to insult us while making fun of people who are killed or injured.

And you... don't think that's a problem.

Obviously, we disagree. But we are still friends. :)

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm not saying it's off limits anywhere. I'm saying posting here won't reach the reader's who are posting on Jalopnik making the post's you think are distasteful while posting there will.

As for looking for news that's what Journalists do so looking over Ferrari Chat makes perfect sense to me and they've often given Ferrari Chat credit for tips and stories. What's not to like about that?

12. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    If your trying to make a change I think it wise to at least speak directly to those who you wish to change......Sure theyll eventually get word of it hear but why not take it to them directly?

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think pressure from real enthusiasts will be far more effective than one guy lost in the wilderness over there.

Ferrari dealers lurk here. FNA lurks here. Believe me, Jalopnik lurks here.

Am I really asking too much of people here to say to them, enough is enough? When you have a car crash or tragedy, is it OK to throw more fuel on the fire-- or maybe -- can you have a little class?

14. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I think all of us here pretty much agree that they are the TMZ of the auto world. Im not wasting my time pressuring them, and I doubt many others will here either. Even TMZ though will sometimes "report" on something interesting though and thus they have a place in the weird world that is 21st century journalism. They all have a place....

And even bad press is good press for them.....

15. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Just saw the edit: I think most womens magazines and other entertainment news is trash but Im not going to waste my time trying to get rid of them. Market will sort its self out and at the end of the day people will get what they want....

16. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  17. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Jalopnik is just bitter at Ferrari because Ferrari doesn't let them test new cars at Maranello anymore. Jalopnik took it personally, because they chose to exploit a couple of isolated incidents at dealerships where customers weren't treated well. Guess what? Some customers have bad experiences at Honda and Ford dealers, too. Jalopnik just took the opportunity to bash Ferrari, and also begin their worship of McLaren.

It's a bit...extreme. It's quite annoying, because Jalopnik can be amusing sometimes.

18. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    I suppose that many people on Ferrari Chat share that same opinion, and that would explain why people here are so quick to criticize Jalopnik. As I said before I do not follow Jalopnik whatsoever so I have no idea about that.

However, the main point of my post was simply to say that it was anonymous users that were writing the hateful comments, not the site Jalopnik itself.

Some people here, mainly TheMayor, seem to think that there really isn't a division between the commenters and the staff of a site. And that the site should be responsible for the content of user comments. I respectfully disagree with that opinion. I don't believe that you can ever really be in control of what the anonymous public says.

(However I do agree that comments could be temporarily suspended in the case of a tragedy, out of respect, of course).

Anonymity on the internet is a great thing in my opinion, and I think it is a fundamental part of the internet as we know it. It allows people to share their opinions completely freely without concern about what other people think. However there are downsides that come with that freedom. People posting vile comments is one of those downsides. For me, the freedom of the internet is worth that downside.

P.S. In the post I made earlier that was quoted I made a typo and typed "I" when I meant to type "It". I think this may have led some people to think I was affiliated with Jalopnik. I reiterate: I'm not affiliated with Jalopnik.

19. VOLTURBO

VOLTURBO Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Halifax
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree. Jalopnik is trash for people who's interest in cars blossomed only from Fast and Furious movies. It was a great site over 5 years ago...

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I haven't bothered reading the comments since they changed formats, but Jalopnik still delivers the goods with offbeat car reviews and very well written articles.

Just in the last days:
    Nice price or crack pipe: BMW 635csi convertible
    graverobber's writing style is unique, hilarious and dare I say almost poetic.

Used Car Face Off: War Of The Well-Preserved Italians
    If a head to head showdown between a Fiat 130 Coupe and a Alfa Romeo 164 is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

Classic Clarkson review
    Saves me the trouble of finding this, drunk, at 1AM.

If you don't like the occasional snarky comment about Ferraris (I don't care, not so serious about myself or cars in general to worry about such things) don't visit the site.
    Voila, no more outrage ;)

21. BullsFTW

BullsFTW Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    It's still a great site, with more readers today than ever before ...

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's good to see a Ferrari actually being driven.

Our race Drivers use this technique all the time when they spin and wind up facing the wrong direction. It's also usefull when you want to make a U turn in a race car with large turning ratio steering.

25. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I'd rather see them on a road course or hell even autocross. Usually hate big smoky burn-outs (which Jalopnik seems to love), they're overdone and frankly a waste of tires and needlessly hard on drivetrain/suspension components, but they are useful for the scenario you mention.
    Reminds me of the guy on his first lap or so at the 'Ring on a public day who spun a few times around Hohe Acht. Didn't realize he got going the wrong way until seeing a pack of GT3s roaring up towards him at full tilt :/
    Nasty crash, but no bad injuries IIRC.