The Jalopnik flame thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The Jalopnik flame thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Sep 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    That is.... AWESOME

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    They never said good driver. They said "good indication" that the driver was into what the car could do, not what it represents. ie not showing off, enjoying it's abilities maybe? As said below, a 528i badge keeps the punks from wanting to race you. Every boy racer knows M is supposed to be fast.

M5 with 528i badge, aka sleeper. A lot of people like creating sleepers. Sleeper = car that is made to look ordinary but has much higher capabilities than it's appearance lets on. Sometimes used for stoplight drag racing unsuspecting folks. But I think a lot of folks simply don't want to flash how much money they have to spend on a car.

3. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
  4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #154 agup48, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ha!

I love this:

Mayor, is that you!

ROFL! :D

I do have to agree. What ****** thing to say about someones pride. Some of the Jalopnik posters think that some owners as stated, "have a disposable income and insurance". The fact is lots of owners that I have met are true car enthusiasts, not someone who has lots of money to burn on a new look-at-me item.

"To be honest, it's kind of a relief." :rolleyes: Seriously?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
  6. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    So, if I put duct tape over the embossed "F430" on my mirror, that'll solve my boy racer problem?

7. jcroeth

jcroeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    Haha. Maybe!

Seriously though, I know my story sounds ridiculous. But I'm only repeating my friend's experience. For some reason he always got harassed at red lights, but once he took the badges off it stopped. It's really strange, I know.

8. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Haha, I know of guys here with 540s and 550s who take them off just to shake off some potential car thieves. A friend had 540i E34. His car got stolen. Got a second one, put on 520i badge, no one cares!

I know there are some changes in rear bumpers etc. for the newer 335i/535i+ models, so it's not that easy to fool a knowing enthusiast any longer...

Apropos this, I would love a M5 3.8 E34 Touring, wonder if reverse badging would work (has to be parked on the street, other cars need the garage space)...

9. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    That Bentley pic has gotta be a fake, no? How would he open his bonnet if it were real?

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What do you mean? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Bentleys. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    It's a real pic. Google "Bentley Hyundai" and there are more pics of the same car.

I'm sure the badges are stick-on.. not drilled into the sheet metal.

12. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    To open the hood, after you pull the hood release in the cabin, the B in the center of the logo pops up. You have to pull the B up further to unlock the hood.

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ah, thanks Ray. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. dantealdente

dantealdente Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    not being a u.s.citizen i may be off on this but wasn't jfk duly elected as president and as such given permission by the electorate to speak and act on their behalf? freedom of speech is a double edged sword.