The Jeep Thread! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

The Jeep Thread!

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by GuyIncognito, Jan 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #226 Wade, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very nice! Those tires are perfect.

I need to send your photo to my friend to get him inspired. His project sits...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Love the jeeps, Mike.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #228 Mang, Jul 20, 2015
    See if he likes these wheels/tires...I sure do. American Racing, same as seen on the Icon brand, usually the FJ series though. They are Teflon coated.

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks Troy, aloha amigo!

5. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #230 Str8shooter, Jul 21, 2015
    Here is a picture of my 1989 Jeep Cherokee parked on A1A in Fort Lauderdale in 1990.

I was getting ready to take some pictures of this girl that I had pulled out of the bikini contest they held every weekend down the road at the Candy Store beach bar. She was doing some last minute fixing up and using my windows for a mirror and I took a shot.

You can see in the windshield I had the shade thing that was so popular back in that time. That and the tinted windows gave the girls a place to change their bikinis for the photo shoots.

Those polka dot bikini shades were everywhere back then. The actual picture was taken by a fellow surf photographer at the Surf and Skate Expo when it was held at the Tupperware Center in Orlando. The girls were modeling for a bikini line called Blue Man which was very popular at the time. He grouped the girls together at their booth, grabbed a quick shot and it ended up in everyone's windshield :)

A few years later I was renting a house with a friend near the beach in Melbourne FL. It was a big hang out spot for the locals and on one particular day we had all four of the girls in that bikini shade picture stop by for a visit. They didn't come together nor did they hang out together. One was my room mate's ex. Another was a friend's girlfriend. The other two just stopped by at different times. The last one came over in the early evening and when she left it dawned on me that we just had all four girls in that famous picture over here in one day. We thought that was funny, weird and cool. I sure miss those days.

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Great story and PHOTO! Thanks for sharing.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's an understatement! :D

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #233 Wade, Jul 22, 2015
  9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks like the Bedliner finishes, fairly easy to clean and resist scratches and chips. But i still think most of the fun of having a built jeep is building it. I know several people who build them over a year or two, wheel them for six months, sell, and repeat.

10. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    That is a serious Mall Crawler. If there is a market for those, I may have to start a new business.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #236 jm2, Jul 27, 2015
  12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool. I love the old Willy's trucks and wagons.

13. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #238 Str8shooter, Jul 29, 2015
    Was going through some old video for a project and found some video
    of my old Jeeps and thought I'd post a few screen grabs.

While most people think of Jeeps for offroading I used mine for hauling models around. :)

This was my first Jeep. I think it was a 1986. I know it was only a four cylinder. SUVs were nowhere near as popular then as they are today and the Jeep Cherokee helped get that trend started. It was perfect for a big guy like me ( previous car was a 1982 Z28 ) and I liked how I could carry a lot of stuff inside like a bike, surfboard and camera gear and lock it up unlike my buddies that used pickups.

I couldn't stand the engine and traded it in for the 1989 when I could. It came with mirror tinted windows in the back and the models loved to use it on location. I must say it served me well for the few years that I had it and sold me on Jeep Cherokees.

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #239 Str8shooter, Jul 29, 2015
    Last page I posted a pic of my worn out 1999 just before they hauled it off when I got my 2014. Here it is in it's prime serving me well at another photo shoot. I got just short of 250,000 miles out of it and it never left me stranded. I'd come out of the house to a dead battery once an awhile but never had to call a tow truck. :D

The lens on that camera is a 650 mm telephoto made by Century that I used primarily for surf photography and occasionally on models.

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #240 Str8shooter, Jul 29, 2015
    One last set of my 1986. This time I had a model and the use of a Countach and 512 BB. This was around 1988.

Once again the model took advantage of the mirror windows. You can also see the bikini windshield shade I talked about in a previous post.
    I still have that shade today.

I had a pretty good stereo for those days with a big box speaker in the back which I turned around for the photo shoot so we had something to listen to. By the end of the shoot I had drained the battery and it wouldn't start so the Countach had to give me a ride home to get another car and some jumper cables.

Yep, Jeeps have been very good to me :D

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Oh man, I loved the 80s! Thanks for the flashbacks.

Cool Jeep too. I used one of those to trailer my first Ferrari in the mid 90s; bought it in Clearwater and hauled it up to Niceville, FL.

17. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #242 Str8shooter, Aug 20, 2015
    I had posted where I just got myself a 2014 Grand Cherokee. I park it with my Scrambler on the side so nobody can park next to it and door ding it or rub up against it. Most of the scratches on my cars came from the parking lot.

Yesterday a teenager was backing out of a spot opposite my Scrambler and accelerated right into the back of it pushing it over the curb into the grass. She wasn't hurt. Bent the heck out of her car. Bent the tail gate on mine and broke the lens cover on the left rear light. Can't tell if it bent the frame or messed up the front jumping the curb.

Normally I would be pretty mad but seeing how she missed my new 2014 it feels like I dodged a bullet. I'm not rough on anything I own and I can make a car last a long time with the only damage coming from others. Stinks that I'm not even safe at home in a simple parking spot. :(

18. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That sucks! I'd be more worried about the CJ8! You can find a GC anywhere:D
    Hope the damage is light, those things are pretty tough.

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    holy cow, how'd she manage that? she only had what, 30 feet to accelerate?

crazy.

20. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    The Cop knocked on my door and asked if I owned the Jeep down in the parking lot. I said yes and she said it had been hit by another car. At first I was like Nooooo not my new Jeep and she said the white one. Then I was like Noooooo please don't be bent in a U :)

I didn't want to talk to the girl but the Cop told me the girl said her accelerator stuck.

I'm thinking like Troy that old Jeeps are built tough and cars like hers are made to crumble. My left tail light lens broke but the bulb still works and a dent in the tail gate seems to be all the damage I got which is pretty incredible compared to her's going in almost to the back seat.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    stuck throttle :rolleyes:

agreed on old vs modern cars but she still managed to accelerate hard enough to shove your 3,000 pound jeep up over a curb and about 15 feet. that's kinda impressive.

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Classic case of having the foot nailed to the gas pedal while thinking they're on the brakes.

And the driver of the old 4Runner needs to learn how to park. ;)

I hope the Jeep survived with just superficial damage.

23. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #248 Str8shooter, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    That's what I told the Cop and she nodded yes and gave the girl a ticket. Happens all the time. I remember walking on a sidewalk once and the road was wet after a rain and a girl came around the corner and started to slide. She panicked and stood on the gas wishing it was the brake and fishtailed off the road but didn't hit anything. All she had to do was lift when she first started to slide but panicked. I think this girl did the same in the parking lot.

We have really wide parking spaces but people still crowd the line like the 4runner did. :(

That's why I pin my new Cherokee between the grass and the CJ-8 so nobody door dings me and I'm still not safe :)

I should add that I park the Cherokee closer to the CJ-8 because the lawn service guys edge, cut and then blow everything and they are not afraid to run their weed-eater along the front of a car if it's overhanging the curb or blow all the clippings and rocks and stuff all over the car.

24. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #249 Todd308TR, Aug 22, 2015
  25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007