"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston | Page 13 | FerrariChat

"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ronald A. Berke, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    No, nothing at all. It just came.

siemensmotors and bloomberg like this.
  2. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I will post a comment about the book in the thread about the GTO 64 book. And of course, at Instagram (@Buchpilot) as soon as I got it and looked through it.

Rosey and hgreg91 like this.
  3. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Excellent!

4. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    My Miura #36 shipped directly from the bookbinder - Ludlow Book Binders Ltd

Ludlow seem to be the go to binder for many limited or special editions produced by British publishing houses.

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    hgreg91 likes this.
  6. hgreg91

hgreg91 Rookie

Aug 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Hgreg91
    Rosey likes this.
  7. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I have to correct my answer from a few days ago: Today, FedEx "surprised" me with a three-page invoice and orders me to pay a handling fee and EU VAT, although, as far as I know, books are exempted from VAT ... So, I have to struggle with some red tape now.

But that doesn't diminish my joy about the book.

8. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Correction: it's 7 per cent VAT, but no customs fee.

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    7% Vat is still a chunk of money...

Regards, Alberto

Buchpilot likes this.
  10. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Money for nothing!

Rosey and Buchpilot like this.
  11. lambdaman

lambdaman Rookie

Jul 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Egan
    Has the froth gone out of the market for the Miura book? Been watching one on eBay go unsold for past month with no takers at 3500 pounds or has a further 72 Jota books at 4000 pounds settled the market?

Buchpilot likes this.
  12. AndyM3

AndyM3 Rookie

Jul 8, 2021
    I guess that might have have had some impact. Why pay £4k on a standard edition when you can have the more exclusive Jota edition for the same price?
    Mind you, at paying £4k for a book your
    Possibly. Why pay £4k for the standard edition when you can get the more exclusive Jota edition for the same price?

Rosey and Buchpilot like this.
  13. hgreg91

hgreg91 Rookie

Aug 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Hgreg91
    I agree. It’s gone fairly quiet! I’m half tempted to advertise my Jota edition for a daft price!

14. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Total agreement with what has been said above: I had been among the poor guys to miss the standard edition, and when I was offered the Jota edition at a price significantly below the price tags for the standard edition at that time, I saw that as a kind offer (although it was and will ever be the highest amount of money spent by me for a book). Obviously, all other people chasing the standard edition thought likewise (that is: if they had been offered the Jota edition). I had been in contact with Kidston Motors about the Jota edition for a while to get one.

15. AndyM3

AndyM3 Rookie

Jul 8, 2021
    Maybe once all the Jota editions are sold (if they aren't already?) they will hold their price and be the book worth £4k and the standard ones fall back to a lower level i.e. £2K? Who knows?

Buchpilot likes this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Once again another example of why I personally don't buy the special editions of books.

Standard was around 500 UK and went as high a ten times that amount.

The special edition was around 4,000 UK and if it just doubles in value I'd be surprised.

From a purely monetary point of view "Uber editions" just don't make iconic sense to me.

Lusso123, bloomberg and Zeltweg like this.
  17. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Hi @Rosey , being an owner of the Uber Edition, I totally agree with you: It doesn't make sense to buy one if you are betting on an increase in value. I don't even think that it will sell out in the next one or two years.

But it's just about emotion ; -) I really like to take that wonderful leather livery into my hands, as will be the case with the special Schedoni book.

And at least, I don't think Uber and Schedoni will depreciate in value. They will hold it and that is a good deal for a start.

Rosey likes this.
  18. AndyM3

AndyM3 Rookie

Jul 8, 2021
    Agree, the Uber versions are an emotive purchase. It only makes financial sense to buy the Uber version when the standard one is only available at effectively the same price.

Buchpilot likes this.
  19. hgreg91

hgreg91 Rookie

Aug 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Hgreg91
    All have sold out now. I was advised to insure for between £5k and £7k. Will be interesting to see if any appear for sale. I think you’re probably right here though.

20. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Maybe it’s time to start reading?

21. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    A number of people are understandably cashing in and I reckon that £3k is par value. The Jota is now sold out and the Register I believe down to about ten percent max left which I feel has sold faster than expected. Give it a year of sorting itself out and then I can see prices improve again.

Rosey, Buchpilot and Zeltweg like this.
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Sorry, I was mean't to write economic, not iconic.

Sometimes I get on this forum late at night and rely too much on spellcheck. :)

Lusso123 and bloomberg like this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #323 Rosey, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    True, buying the special editions is definitely a heart over head decision which I fully understand and respect (after all I do own a Ferrari :( ).

Most good motoring books maintain their original value at the very least, and if they strike a cord in many will increase, so I think your money is safe with those two examples.

Similar to current Rolex watches.

Most will retain their value, a fair few will double and then you get those rare models that increase 3, 4 or more times in value (that ironically are mostly the cheapest model in their range).

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    No kidding. Or move this thread to the Business and Investment forum.

25. lambdaman

lambdaman Rookie

Jul 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Egan
    Great idea, I will set one up!
    Track by CPI, perhaps trend to 10 year bond yield as well, Hagerty may pick up and add to their Market analysis also

hgreg91 likes this.