The last 330 GTC I will look at. Period. | FerrariChat

The last 330 GTC I will look at. Period.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by UroTrash, Nov 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #1 UroTrash, Nov 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last one I'm looking at I swear.

This 330 GTC shows well in the pics, and according to the PPI has a nice interior with weak gauges.

It is getting leaks from multiple seals, has an oily #11 plug, and oily and gassy #12 plug and a new (per owner) engine harmonic vibration at 2500rpm. According to the PPi it might be a flywheel or it might be a total engine rebuild. Carbs need tuning or rebuild. Very good compression each cylinder, only a tiny bit of smoke.

Clutch will barely disengage, that's being fixed today at owner's expense. transmission has bad 2nd and 3rd synchros.

Body has amateur respray with several areas of early bubbling.

So: needs engine rebuild, transmission rebuild, carb rebuild, body re-do.

Tha PPI said despite this it has a solid non rusty chassis and was in much better shape than the great majority of these cars that come in.

I have a deposit, but the seller is ready to deal with price. I have 24 hours to declare.

He had it listed for 99k. we talked 90k, and this AM he says bottom line is $70k, otherwise he'll keep it as a coffee table. $70k sounds pretty close, what do you all think?

Below are a few pics BUT MORE PICS AT THISWEB SITE I MADE WITH HIS PICS::::::

http://pages.villagephotos.com/page.asp?page_id=2699

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Fix it to run, and just stop the rust. Don't go overboard on the body or paint. Drive the hell out of it first, then determine if you want to go overboard on restoring it. This one would make a good driver. If you want a show car, pass.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ....sounds to me like Ferrari.search.stress.syndrome has set in..........;)

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Doc, unless you are looking for a project, don't do it. An engine rebuild, rebuilt tranny and clutch, carbs, and body work can easily cost $50k. This doesn't even include the "while we're here" stuff.

You'd be better off paying $130k to $150k for a car that has already been restored and is ready to drive. That is, unless you enjoy having pieces of old car strung all over your garage.

Dale

5. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    if you buy it for 70K and fix it yourself, you will know its done right. The car that's "perfect" for 150K is only that way until the first thing goes wrong. I'd buy it, fix the gearbox and drive it. Engine may get better with use (can't be used much now with the gearbox anyway). It certainly looks nice in the pictures. Stop thinking of it as an investment...its not. Buy it as if it was a 150K car you get to pay off over 2 years.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Of course you're right. She's quite the looker though, no?

She will (reportedly) be appearing on eBay in the near future.

This officially ends my 330 GTC search

except maybe that one in Atlanta...

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It looks pretty nice, that interior has had some big money put in it, original stuff (details) like the tire hold down, etc. point to an unmolested or cared for condition, IMO. Ownership history? I look for long term owners......

The point on the $150K cars is well made, as well......lots of 'pigs with lipstick' out there......no perfect ones......

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

WHOA!

I know that backyard and garage.... and Ohio.

Drop me a PM. This guy was selling a blue 348 about 14 months ago and was VERY VERY honest about the condition of the car.

-Daniel

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Doc, another car that I've looked at! When I made the call to a local Ferrari repair facility to set up a PPI, they told me that they were familiar with the car and advised me to stay away, but only for the reasons you have listed. Good luck! (You might need it.)

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Wayne, I'm done with the 330 GTC search. You have the entire nation to yourself.

Now, on to the 246GTs and 355GTSs...

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm right there with you. Couldn't find a Daytona to suit me and now having the same result with GTCs. Have to expand the search. If anybody out there comes across a fully-restored 250 PF Coupe or 330 America, please let me know!

12. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Doc..... I am confused.

I gave you the name and number of my friend that has what is certainly a no excuses GTC.

The drive train is fresh, body was stripped to the bare metal and redone.

Great color, new interior, not cheap, but reasonable and certainly in line with the cars you have looked at...

I have sat here watching you go up and down the rollar coaster.... you must be emotionally beat!

To my knowlegde, you never followed up, but you have had the bad luck of finding every terrible 330 GTC on the market!

I wish you luck.....

(You may just want to buy a newer Ferrari)

13. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    While I am sympathetic with your desire to buy a really nice 330GTC with no needs for less than what the market says it is worth, I think that may be the major source of your frustration. Dr Who and others are correct, the one at FJ still looks the best. The real issue is as the cost approaches daytona money, wouldnt it make more sense.....see how this works? Soon you will be looking at GTO's.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Chris, I'm interested. Please drop me an email.

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Doc, all those pictures and no serial number...? :)

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The car is advertised in FML: 9581

(BTW, you and I have discussed this car at length.)

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks for the number; have you and i discussed it in a good way or a bad way...?

...and what's up with your signature...? :)

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Email. Later.

:D

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'll be waiting...
    Why can't you just have a nice, nondescript, low key signature like mine...? :)

20. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    yes, it is cheaper to buy one already done, but some of us enjoy the work. I don't mind being a little upside-down and losing some money when I sell a car as long as I enjoyed working on it and driving the heck out of it. That is the cost of fun... within reason of course :)

70k for that rather good looking 330 with minimal rust would be perfect for me as soon as my boat is sold. Rust is the killer on restorations, engines just cost money and my time and since this motor runs, it would probably not be excessive to rebuild. Throw a few synchros in and drive the thing.

As it has been said already however, working on these toys is not for everyone, some enjoy it, some don't. You need to decide which one you are.

Can you find me a 246 GTS in that condition ? :) That is first on the list when the boat is sold.

21. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Wayne you have an email...

22. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    It is true that nice GTCs can be in the Daytona price range but they are two different cars and you should really drive both before making up your mind. The person I bought my GTC from also had a Daytona and he said that it was work to drive the Daytona but was a pleasure to drive the GTC. However, he did sell the GTC and he kept the Daytona for whatever that is worth.

23. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I love that color combo, so I'd probably buy it and fix it for $70k. But that's me.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have always been told that it best to pay for the restoration costs of a redone car and get the car for free. It would be a piece of cake to buy an old Ferrari for $70k and drop another $70k without blinking.

Dale

25. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Agreed. Just my personal preference. If the car has a solid chassis and is complete mechanically, but needs some sorting, I'd rather go with that car.
    I think interior work and major bodywork is a PIA. I don't mind minor bodywork and mechanical work, so this car would be perfect for me. If I were looking, that is. ;)