the last but one dry sump is almost ready... | Page 15 | FerrariChat

the last but one dry sump is almost ready...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Albert-LP, Dec 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    This pictured is the fuel pump of every 308, according to the spare parts catalogue

Ciao

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Update: As many have said, these are BCD Corona pumps and are common to Dinos, Carbed 308s and some Fiats. The originals seem to have had only one wire from the casing with the clamp serving as a ground to the frame/mount. Thanks to all for setting me straight! I am attempting to restore one...will post when done.

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    the new front exhaust manifold arrived last week: now all the exhaust system has been changed.

ciao

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #355 Albert-LP, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I have a good news. My drysump engine n.1690, that was painted outside during the previous engine out service, will become in factory finish again (means no paint, just he rough cast aluminium).

The two polished (by the previous owner) valve covers will be replaced by two (almost impossible to find) factory valve covers.

The rest of the block will be cleaned and stripped.

I'm very satsified of that: thanks to my mechanic Toni Auto for finding out those very rare pieces.

ciao

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    No chance to give the valve covers back their original appearance?
    Glass bead blasting? Walnut granulate blasting? Or something similar?

Best Regards
    Martin

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #358 Albert-LP, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Two others still in original finish is the best: I found them, so where is the problem? :)

Ciao

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #359 Martin308GTB, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Not quite sure, where the problem is, but I would have taken the following into account for a decision:
    For cosmetic reasons it's the best solution. But not sure, whether this the case technically. At the factory the bores for the camshaft seals, for example, have always been cut together with the mating cylinder head. Tolerances are small, seals are soft and sealant helps a lot too. So there will be probably no problem regarding leakage or so. But though little, you will always get some deviation regarding the two semicircles and on the cut front faces.
    This is the reason, why covers are so hard to obtain. They probably never came as a separate spare part -though listed in the parts books- and those now being available come from damaged cylinder heads. At least this is, what my official Ferrari-workshop once told me.

The moral of the story is, that in such a case you have to decide between the best solution regarding looks and the best technical solution.
    I myself would never sacrifice perfect mechanical things for a better look. But that's just me.

Best Regards
    Martin

10. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Martin, Alberto was talking only about the Valve covers , NOT the cylinderhads to be replaced.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #361 Albert-LP, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Yes,Martin, Markus is right: I was just talking about the cam covers, nothing else. Toni Auto shop in Maranello is very likely the best Ferrari repair shop in the world, so he knows what he is doing.

Don't worry, the only big problem was to find out other two ones. Toni has in this moment another drysump undergoing a major service in his shop, a red German car. The German owner wanted red valve covers, so instead of polishing his valve covers before painting in red, they gave him mine already polished so he saved the polishing. And I took his still factory finish cam covers. One of the advantage to send the car to a big shop.

Ciao

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #362 Martin308GTB, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Yes, but the camshaft seals are sitting in the cover as well. Their seat is formed by two semicircles. One in the head, one in the cover. And those were always machined while clamped together.

Best
    Martin

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I won't die. Nor the engine will.

And it's not the first time they change a valve cover: the oil leaks from the valve cover is caused by the wrong positioned draining hole in the camshaft housing, and that was already done (another draining hole in the correct position).

Thank you very much for the advice, but you don't need to change the engine if you change a valve cover. :)

ciao

Edit

An Italian Fchatter that I know very well and that has a spare part service, just sold a drysump valve cover (one of the two) at 2000 euro or so. I had two at ZERO euro cost. That's not bad at all!

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes Alberto
    you are right.
    Seems, that we have different philosophies regarding technical things and looks.
    This is like swapping mothers and children for a better looks.

Best
    Martin

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I just even got a new set of CPS forged pistons and state of the art valves for my drysump engine: I'm a monster that eats children!! :D

ciao

16. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    That's a very good news you will have the original finish.
    If Toni Auto could do the same for all the car he's doing...because one of the detail you recognize an engine from him is that unoriginal paint.

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #367 Martin308GTB, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Alberto,

who painted the engine once? And why?

Best
    Martin

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Toni Auto. The cam cover were polished by the previous owner. It doesn't look bad at all, painted, but I prefer it in the original look. The paint is the 800 C resistant.

Ciao

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Then glass bead them to kill the shine and the timing covers too then clear coat them with a satin clear for engines so they dont oxidize but at least they'll look more correct.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #370 Martin308GTB, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    And remain on the matching head with which they once have been machined, clamped together.
    BTW. What comes to my mind regarding this discussion. Are there casting date stamps on the heads and inside the covers?

Best
    Martin

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Casting dates on the outside of the heads at the ends and inside the covers maybe. I cant recall seeing any inside but I also wasn't looking. I would want the original covers back on for the matched cam seal bores for sure.

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #372 Martin308GTB, Jan 31, 2017
    Other than for that bores, I'm not quite sure. But I suspect further things, which have been machined together.
    Front faces on the distributor end, distributor bores?

Regarding casting date. I found something. Seems to be present.

Best
    Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes all of those other surfaces would be machined as an assembly so if the option is there to use the mating parts then its a no-brainer.

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Please let that problem for my mechanic: it will be solved. I asked him the direct question and he answered me this: "yes, they were machined together when new, so you have to pay a lot of attention when you change the valve cover. But we had to change many times a valve cover (without changing the head too) and so we know very well which are the problems we have to solve and things we have to check to have everything working well as it has to be. And with no leaks. How we do it, it's our know how, sorry, so please don't ask. You just have to know we will do everything necessary to have it well done. If there will be a leak, we will fix it on warranty, of course"

ciao

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #375 Albert-LP, Jan 31, 2017