The Latest Corvette Blue Devil/SS/Stingray Pics | FerrariChat

The Latest Corvette Blue Devil/SS/Stingray Pics

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheBigEasy, Feb 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    GM accepts Viper SRT10 challenge, confirms "Blue Devil"

General Motors is determined to reclaim its king-of-the-hill position from the new 600-horsepower 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10, which was introduced this week in Detroit.

"As you all know, it is not our policy to discuss future product programs," product boss Bob Lutz said during a meeting with analysts on Thursday. "However, it is very important for Corvette to be the most powerful, most capable, best handling sports car in the United States." According to the Detroit Free Press, Lutz acknowledged that "a recent competitor" had surpassed the Corvette Z06 in terms of horsepower, but "the Corvette vehicle line executive will not take that lying down," he said.

GM has long been rumored to be working on a more powerful Corvette project known as Blue Devil, Sting Ray, Z07, or SS. Back in May, GM's head of performance cars Tom Wallace confirmed the car was under development, but in recent months there has been some speculation as to whether the project was still a go. Lutz's comments confirm the Blue Devil is very much alive.

^ From Left Lane News

2. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Did I miss the pulley? Its obvesely a roots type blower but im not seeing the pulley.

3. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    not only will it have 650hp, but it should weigh around 400lbs less then the viper as well ;)

and before "well dodge has a XXXhp viper motor ready to go" a SCed 4thgen can get just as much :shrug: but that weight thing is a killer :D

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This thing is going to be a beast. Who knows, GM may actually do something right after all.

5. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I love the corvette, but if they think that they are gonna get better than a hundred grand for this thing they better put some engineers on the interior. Looks like a plain ole C6 on the inside.

6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    It's just a mule z06... The rumor is that the interior in the final car will be quite nice.

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I love the Z06, its the first American car that didn't make my stomach turn as soon as I sat in it. I'm even looking to get rid of my M5 for one thats how impressed I am with it. I am a long-time fan of German cars, it took a lot to sway me the other way, but GM succeded.

The interior is still not there, but its really not that bad, I have no complaints about anything else with the Z06 other than the image, and I have reached a point in my life where i don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm looking forward to future variations, lets just hope that GM doesn't go bankrupt before then.

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 teak360, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go. By the way, I love those composite brakes in the other picture and that water cooled intercooler.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is the powertrain, it is not the body or interior of the Final car. That guy who got busted apparently also did a few burnouts instead of just getting the car ready for the trip to Germany.

10. early93viper

early93viper Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan

It's going to be a battle. Until the Blue devil/SS/Z07/Z01001 comes out the viper is going to be on top. Until then know that rumors are flying on both Viper and Vette slatted to come out in 2009.

11. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    No, no, and no.

I haven't seen confirmation of 650hp... that's an estimate that folks have been bandying around for a while - but rampant speculation based on pure hype is nothing new in the Corvette world :) Wasn't the C5Z going to have 500hp and weigh 2800lbs or something? :)

Regarding the weight, there is not a 400lb delta and won't be - I'd take a bet on that any day. As for the power, its absurd to think that a Corvette V8 can get as much power as a Viper V10. It's not even really that close when you start modding both cars. But Dodge has already highlighted an upgrade package for the Viper at 675hp, and more to come in the future.

We shall see.

12. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Cheers to the man who took the pics! (Sorry GM)

13. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Hahah! Too bad he's in jail now.

14. heckler40

heckler40 Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    IL
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The speculation is due to no information being released just like any other car community. The 600-650hp estimate is the logical next step for that car.

It was pretty well accepted that the 2002 Z06 was going to get a minor bump in hp to 405. As for the weight, there was no real expectation to go below 3200lbs at that point. IIRC, there was no real indication of CF or any major chassis changes from 2001 to 2002.

The 400lb delta would be really hard to pull off. The advantage is only 200lbs now and that was with a lot of tricks. To get that car down to 3100 would be tough. 3000lbs? I highly doubt it too.

Regarding the same power, the 2006 Viper had 510hp (not sure, just off the top of my head) and the 2006 Z06 had 505hp. That seems close enough, no?

Also keep in consideration that one of the goals of Chevy with regards to the Vette has been to avoid the GG tax. They accomplished that again with the new Z06. Quite impressive IMO.

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

The true weight difference between the 2007 cars is approx. 300 lbs. Throw in the new Corvette's composite brakes, and maybe get rid of the clunky runflats and you are already pushing that 400 lb delta. The delta will indeed be greater than 300 pounds even with supercharger and intercooler, etc.

Besides, the viper is a cartoon on wheels in the styling department. No comparison to the current Z06.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I see that as a good thing.. the one thing that seems to always keep the vette off my shopping list is its atrocious styling...looks cheap and does not turn heads.

I dont think the viper srt is that much to write home about but way better than the vette.

I would only buy the vette as a track car..for the street id go with the viper even if the vette has slightly better performance.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    #18 shakazulu12, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a fully optioned Z06 with the following mods done:

stoptechs, headers, and an Exedy Twin clutch (info taken from another forum)

Anyhow, you could easily lop another 40 pounds off with different wheel's/tires (callaway's carbon fiber wheel set is 10 pounds lighter per corner for the vette). Stoptechs upcoming ceramic brakes are about 35 pounds lighter as a set over the ones this car had on it as well.

The SS is rumored to have carbon fiber body panels, saving a ton of weight, plus the hood is likely carbon as well.

Lighter seats etc, strip out some of the options. You could probably get it down to 2900 and still be easily livable.

The question would be, how much does the supercharger etc weigh?

I'm betting on around 2950 pounds by the time it hits the streets, which is still pretty awesome for a modern car with potentially 650 horsepower. Not to mention more power is simply a pully swap away. However, if they stick those crappy EMT's on it, then kiss all of them goodbye. I got wheelspin in 4th gear when it started to rain during my test drive, I hate those damn tires.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. yellowenzo123

yellowenzo123 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    Got one coming, from Champion Chevrolet what a great car for the money

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Awesome!! You have TOO MUCH fun mate!! :D:D
    When does it arrive and what colour you get? :):)

20. heckler40

heckler40 Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    IL
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The current Z06 already has some CF panels. Keep in mind the non-CF panels are composite. So, going from composite to CF isn't much savings. Maybe 50 lbs if all were done? Here's a quote: "The C6 Z06 CFRC fenders provide 6kg reduction of vehicle mass as compared to the smaller RRIM fenders used on the Coupe and Convertible models." So they save about 15lbs for the 2 front fenders.

I'm guessing the SC and the IC will weigh 150lbs??? So, based on your estimate, and assuming CF wheels, we are still over 3000lbs.

One thing that I have in the back of my head is that Chevy will probably never return to the old days and allow a la carte deletes (radios, power steering, etc). They seem to understand that the current market wants really nice features with a car that runs like crazy. So other than some CF seats, I'm not certain they will compromise the interior of the car.

21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Might be cool if Chevy took a page from the Stradale book for the interior on this car - add the dash covering and lose everything else.

22. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Well than the Vette better get on it's knees :)

23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is going to be a SERIOUS car when it comes out. Hope the guy that got fired thinks it was worth it.

24. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I hear you - my only beef is that the Vette guys are famous for clinging to rumors and repeating them as "fact". I guess all car groups do it - but I haven't heard any confirmation of HP numbers or weight, yet if you ask on CF they will say 650hp and 2900lbs "fact".

I tend to think it will be 650hp and weigh in around 50-100lbs heavier than a C6Z or at best the same (more weight from extra stuff and beefier components, higher MSRP allows them to spend the $$ to reduce weight elsewhere).

It sounds like it will be a hell of a car!