The Latest Corvette Blue Devil/SS/Stingray Pics | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Latest Corvette Blue Devil/SS/Stingray Pics

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheBigEasy, Feb 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's debatable. To you (and many others) it's about 'appearance' but to others it's not. There are plenty of people who feel that the current Z06 is not enough performance...they keep places like Lingenfelter in business.

Same could be said for Corvette. The Vette is what it is...and exotic isn't it. Chevy isn't trying to move into the exotic car market, it wants to produce a Corvette that can compete with the best that the exotic market has to offer. There's a world of difference.

The fact that people talk about the Z06 in the same sentence as Ferrari and Lamborghini is a testament to the success of the program. Again, Chevy isn't trying to build an exotic.

There are a lot of people who think the Z06 is pretty special, because prices have held very well over the last two years. You mention Lotus, which makes fantastic cars. However, they're not even coming close to selling the same number of Corvettes each year. People like the Corvette and it sells well.

I think you're severely underestimating the Corvette brand. There are VERY few brands in the automotive world that are as strong as Corvette. Very few.

Chevy's business plan for the Corvette is highly successful. Bang-for-the-buck has been selling well and doesn't show signs of slowing down.

It's funny that you mention the Viper. Seems that Dodge installs an anchor with each one at the factory because they sit on dealer lots like they're stuck.

I'm fairly certain the spy shots that we've seen thus far are merely test mules. I agree that the SS/Blue Devil/Z07 needs to have some unique features, but it still has to be recognizable as a C6.

What Dodge might have learned with the original Viper was QUICKLY forgotten with the Gen III. New Vipers drop in value almost as fast as AMG Mercedes.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    People who are looking for a new design for the Corvette SS or what ever it is called seem to forget that the styling is there for a couple of reasons. First to sell cars with a design that has broad appeal and second to go fast. The first is a matter of opinion and the second is down to the aero numbers that the body generates. When you start to modify the styling then it has an effect on the cd. Engineering requirements also dictate the 'look' for a new design. For the 2008 Corvette; Chevrolet looked at a number of body modifications. Nothing they were shown was a styling improvement on the current design features; in the opinion of the people that sign off on changes. People who want a new 'look' for the Corvette will have to wait for the C7 model instead...
    CH

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I appreciate your well stated rebuttal to my post. Im always up for a good debate and I hope Ive made it clear I like the corvette...Im no hater... But I do disagree with a lot of what Chevy does.

Sure its successful..never said it wasnt. But could it be more successful ? I believe so.

Im not all about appearance..if Chevy made the best looking vette of all time but it didnt perform I would be taking the opposite end of this argument. But seriously... Would it hurt the new Z07 to have very distinctive bodywork that shouts to the world ' I am the ultimate vette' ? Something that made the schoolkids replace their exotic posters with ?

Maybe its because i live in Los Angeles but I know a lot of teens and none of them are excited about the new vette...their DADS ( more likely their grandads ) are perhaps excited..but Chevy needs to do something to grab the attention of the next generation.

Im also not suggesting an entire redesign..I understand that will happen with the next gen...but IMHO the Z06 exterior changes did not live up to the cars performance upgrades. It should be recognizable as not a normal vette from a distance.

You say Chevy isnt trying to build an exotic..for gods sake why arent they ? They have the performance ! Make the car look exotic...give it a nice interior and charge $150k and grab the market that gobbled up the Ford GT... Thats what "I" want to see.

As far as c/d numbers dictating design.. I have experience in that and it really only comes into play above 150mph in cars like these. Take a look at the supercars out there...there are a lot of different designs that all take c/d into consideration and acheive unique and exciting looks. The idea that a corvetter looks like it does because of c/d is simply not true.

Also..what you said about Dodge is 100% true... and Im a viper fanatic ( well at least a Gen I and II fanatic ). The Gen III is a great car but dodge failed to design smething as iconic as the original Viper.

Your move :)

4. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    unfortunately this isnt that period anymore and those badges are only meaningful to guys in their 50s and 60s...if that.

Yeah, that's why all the 18-24 y.o. ricers in L.A. have 'Type-R' plastered all over their mom's hand-me-down Accord sedan.
    You know the ones.... with the muffler that added 20db and what *must be* 100 horsepower.

5. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The ricer crowd isnt the demo for a corvette and never will be.

Chevy needs to target kids who are drooling over Porsches, Ferraris and Lotus. There was a time when a Corvette could sit next to one of those cars and get just as many, if not more, stares.. I would like that time to come back.

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Debate is fun! Differing opinions make the forum interesting to read and I'm delighted that you're able to enjoy a civil discussion.

Chevy certainly isn't perfect. The company has done well with the Corvette, but I agree that there is always room for improvement.

I think there's a fine line here. Chevy builds the Corvette as a performance icon, then people comment about how they'd gladly pay a few dollars more for upgrades on the interior. If you start adding a bit of cost here and a bit more there, pretty soon you've alienated your core market. The Corvette has always been about a high performance-to-dollar ratio.

The Vette can't get too wild and crazy in looks. You've got to remember that Chevrolet sells a LOT of Corvettes each year, while most of the more exotic looking (from Lotus up to Lambo) sell in much lower volumes to a much narrower market. The Vette needs to look good, but can't go too far over the top (even though both of us would like to see a more aggressive look).

Teens hang Lamborghini and Ferrari posters on their walls. That's not going to change and I don't see a reason for Chevrolet to worry about it. Teens aren't buying any of these cars, adults are. When I was a kid, I had pictures of Ferraris and Lamborghinis all over my room. Now that I'm not a teen (but not yet 30) the Corvette has a lot of appeal to me. I don't think I'm an anomaly.

This is purely subjective, but have you spent much time looking at a C6 Z06 in person? I really like the subtle changes that the Z has over the standard coupe. There is just enough there to make the car look a notch more aggressive without going over the top.

An exotic doesn't fit in Chevrolet's business plan. Ford tried it with the GT, but had lackluster success. Early cars commanded a premium, but the luster faded and early buyers took a bath in depreciation (much like the ZR1 Corvette). I think GM knows the markets that it can successfully compete in, and the exotic market isn't one of them (at least not now). The SS/Blue Devil/Z07 will be pushing the envelope about as far as GM would want for the time being.

I won't argue that one.

The Gen II has got to be my favorite Viper. Beautiful lines and an attitude to match. In my book, a yellow GTS is about as good as it gets.

You're up. :)

7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Heres where our debate grinds to a halt because we really arent disagreeing on much..

I think the base vette is PERFECT. For the price the interior is fine...the looks are great and the performance is fantastic.

The Z06 I thought couold have used slightly more distinct bodywork but overall great car.

Now the Z07 is where I think they should do a 'spare no expense' version of the vette...look if people are on a budget and want incredible performance they HAVE the Z06 to buy. The Z07 should be for those of us who want the 'ultimate vette'.

Again I think the base vette is perfect... Im talking only about the Z07. THAT car should be wicked looking..sure retain the corvette styling cues but make it look like a million bucks.

I had vette posters on my wall with the Lambo and Ferrari posters. I loved the '78 pace car...I thought it looked as good as any exotic shy of a Countach. Definately looked as cool as a ferrari at the time.

I know teens arent buying but people tend to buy , as adults, what influenced them as teens. I feel..and hey i could be wrong...that todays kids dont care for the corvette and that will cause sales problems in 5-10 years when THEY become buying age

I live not far from a chevy dealer that has a few Z06s sitting out front...Ive been there a few times. Its an attractive car..but not enough for me. Totally personal preference there and I understand that they didnt increase the price enough to justify new bodywork.

I feel the Ford GT was a huge success...they are totally holding their value ( unfortunate for me as if and when they get closer to $100k Im a getting me one of dem ). Early buyers only took a bath because of dealer gouging...other than Ferrari theres no car you can buy new ABOVE MSRP and not expect to take a huge hit on.

I would disagree that GM knows its markets..if they did their market share wouldnt errode as badly as it does. Just because its a huge corp with ahistory doesnt mean they currently know what they are doing. If Dodge thought that way 15 years ago we wouldnt have got a Viper...

GM CAN make a super vette and it would sell..just keep the MSRP around $150k and limit it to 1000 yr or less. I bet theyd take sales from the Gallardo, Vantage and the new Dino.

Yellow vipers..cant go wrong ..see my profile and avatar :) Im really disappointed in Dodge..Ive come close a few times to buying a Gen II but then I look at them and really they just dont stand out.

Not sure we have much left in this debate..we're both too rational..lol..but please..fell free to add !

8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #133 anunakki, May 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think there are tons of fantastic styling cues GM could take from this gorgeous car WITHOUT making it look retro..

The curves on this gen vette are perfect
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    You people arguing over the "usability on the street" of the power are just plain silly.

Just because you can't use it doesn't mean someone else can't ;)

Pavement is pavement.

If you don't like the car, don't buy it. ;)

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe you're right. I do agree with a lot of what you said about the Z07 needing to stand out as a "super vette" when it hits showrooms. GM needs to be careful though, so that the Z07 is still very much a C6 Corvette. If Chevy can successfully do this, the Z07 should help pull up sales of all other Corvette models. I don't think we'll see a $150k Vette, but I think this new Z07 will come in just north of $100k.

11. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The Cadillac XLR-V, which is basically a fancy C6 with a supercharged Northstar, is already north of $100K.

12. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    But is it 'trail rated' ?

13. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name: