The Media's Current Craze: Create Undeserving Celebs and Destroy Them | FerrariChat

The Media's Current Craze: Create Undeserving Celebs and Destroy Them

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've discussed this with several friends and was wondering what the experienced wisdom of the F-chat community could contribute... but it seems lately we are in a big fad for the media to create celebrities out of people who (IMO) really don't deserve recognition/admiration as they receive (think Paris Hilton, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Martha Stewart etc), but then the real delight for the media is to destroy these people. And the bigger they can hype them up in the first place, the harder and farther they will fall.

Take the Hilton thing: it was almost too good to be true for media... all of the sudden this superwealthy skank is on every tabloid cover and all these TV shows, and then only a short time later that video "appears" and then her TV show and her personal character (IMO) is completely demolished. I would think given what she's done, she probably deserved the smackdown she got, but the timing of everything was so sudden.

These situations reek of the old Eddie Murphy movie Trading Places, as if producers and executives carry out the destruction of peoples' lives just for simple whims and more advertising revenue.

Makes me happy I gave up dreams of an acting career! I realized that the best thing to be (vs. celeb, athlete or even politician) is a wealthy businessman -- as long as you're not in the super-big-leagues of wealth, for the most part you can 'fly under the radar' of public scrutiny and enjoy the trappings of success without the jealous glare of fame.

While seeing people make the bigtime is inspiring, the media loves nothing more than to dine on the carrion of personal reputation and honor. Hence American Idol, where we celebrate the really good talents of a half dozen people and wish them well, but can also see the utter humiliation of many, many more people.

Have any of you noticed this?

2. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I have noticed this. I have noticed the "artificial celebrity" and all that go with it.

It is all media hype. If people did not buy into it, it would stop. The only thing people love more than an artificial celebrity is the downfall of one. It makes "us" feel better about ourselves.

I find that I do not care about most celebrities. My favorite actors, musicians, athletes, etc. are "nobodies" or "classics".

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think Americans in general tend to get pleasure out of seeing the rise and fall of people. The greater the fall, the more they seem to enjoy it. I think it is an inherent cultural sickness.

Ever wonder why shows like Cops get such good ratings?

4. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    No. It is just a good way to see what my family is up to and how they are doing.

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I think William Hung is a perfect example of this.

6. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Good post, Ryan. I know I am personally so sick of hearing about, reading about and heaven forbid you turn on the TV, celebrities. I mean, do people really care about Rosie O'Donnell political and social views? I supposed they must, otherwise we wouldn't be saturated with it. If it's not celebrity gossip garbage, it's reality shows with people being mean spirited and eating Yak dung. I'm over it.

The only one with any courage to take a stand for their beliefs in the face of adversity is Mel Gibson. Agree with him or not, at least he has convictions and courage, and puts his money where his mouth is.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I agree with Ryan. As Americans, we're just weird about this stuff. There's this narrow band of success where we tolerate people. We enjoy pulling for the underdog, since many of us can identify with the status. But as that underdog rises to success, we get sick of them, so to make ourselves feel better we start picking at scabs to watch them bleed. As far as these pseudo-celebs go, that's just called pop culture. It's been that way for a long time. Music is notorious for that, which is why bands like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, etc. are as popular now as ever among those of that don't buy into any of the hype. With that whole Janet Jackson uproar, the thing that ticked me off about all of it was the fact that the Super Bowl had such a ridiculous halftime show going on in the first place. And the Daytona 500. What the hell are Whoopi Goldberg and Ben Affleck doing there as guests of honor?! Oh man, I've got to stop...

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Unfortunately it's what sells and what people gobble up. Human nature is to want to see people's misery cuz in some sick way it makes us feel better about ourselves. The media is only catering to what they think the public wants. When a celebrity takes a tumble they know people will want to know all about it. Bad news sells!

9. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    HILARIOUS!

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Were they dating?

11. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Thats what I heard.....

Antony

12. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    HOLY ARCHIVE SHOVEL!!!

13. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    Why are you bumping all of your threads?

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    He's just trying to quote precedent.

15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Bump for timeliness.

16. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    again, here i am participating in a discussion just to spout my specific non-participation in stupidity. :p