The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 11 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Understood. Let's get our positive thoughts together for Michael. He needs it.

2. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    #252 thirteendog, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No I'm sorry, I didn't type that to correct you. I was just glad someone posted them because my photos, even though they looked eerily similar to yours (same grandstand), didn't turn out well. Do you remember if it was his car that wouldn't start or someone else's? There were several this year that died going up turn 1 hill.

Thanks again for posting them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

2am my time seems to be when 'something' will be announced.

Gives 'em time to get the PR team in place. Makes sense.

He's gonna be OK!

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ from your lips to Gods ear...

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  6. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Dont worry. I understood it as you meant it as I'm sure many others did as well.

e

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    A close friend of mine was rushed into surgery on Thursday last week. She kept drifting in and out of coma. She had a bad fall and hit her head on a night out a couple of weeks ago on a curb in the streets of Singapore. Some drunk dude knocked her over and she fell in a bad way.

She was fine until she started bleeding just a few days ago, and was rushed to hospital just last week. I just got off the phone with her earlier. She had fits, and had difficulty breathing last night. She kept drifting in and out of consciousness. However, i believe words of encouragement plays a huge role. She's with her family right now, and off and on i call her to speak to her to encourage her. So far, there's been improvement. She was in critical condition on Saturday, and almost gone on Saturday night. But she kept fighting.

She's just 26 years old university lecturer and a pint size person. And here we are today with terrible news on MS I heard as well. However, if she can do, so can MS. I just have a feeling he will pull through.

On the side note, he's something i just found. Shows his mentality :

This time, however, the Benetton team successfully appealed. An FIA tribunal on April 13 reinstated Schumacher's 10 points for the win in Brazil, and he now leads Hill by 11 points—a fairly comfortable margin in F/1. And this time around Schumacher handled the controversy with greater equanimity. "Maybe I was already used to winning races and getting disqualified for, really, nothing," he says. Then again, perhaps his mature response was attributable to something else.

The day after the Brazilian Grand Prix, something happened to Schumacher that made all the F/1 hoopla seem meaningless. He nearly died, in a completely unexpected way. "This," he says, "may tell you something about my character."

He was scuba diving off the coast of Brazil, with a crew whose ineptness Schumacher did not discover until it was too late. The crew carelessly allowed the dive boat to drift while Schumacher and his companions were underwater. Weber, who dislikes diving, and Betsch, who was seasick, remained on the boat but weren't aware of what was happening.
    Schumacher says he and two other divers "were down 30 or 40 minutes, with a diving teacher who wasn't thinking about the boat drifting away. When we came up, the boat was gone. I looked around and finally saw it, far away on the horizon."
    "In the beginning," says Schumacher, "I tried to keep all of us together. I said, 'Come on, boys, hand-by-hand, let's swim in the direction of the boat.' But after 10 minutes, two of the guys were finished. They just couldn't go any farther."
    With his superb conditioning, he knew that he must be the one to swim for it. "I kept thinking, You do one of the most dangerous sports and nothing happens to you, you're never afraid, and then suddenly you're in the water doing something that everybody does, and now you have the feeling, That's it. This is strange. This is the first time in my life I've thought. That's it."

At last he was within 200 meters of the boat, screaming at the crew, which was playing loud music. Finally he was spotted from the boat.
    "He wasn't exhausted, and he wasn't panicked," Weber recalls. "He was pissed."
    "That was the first time I have seen myself very upset," Schumacher says. "I threw the goggles into the boat, and I was close to throwing the tank, but then I thought, If you throw it wrong, then we're going to have another disaster. So I cooled myself down. That shows me, now, that I have never seen myself out of control, which is how people view me—they say I am a machine, I never get out of control."

The other divers were picked up, their lives likely saved by the levelheaded actions of a world driving champion who was more frightened than he'd ever been in his life. "But it is my personality," says Schumacher, "to be in all situations under control."

8. clayton bigsby

clayton bigsby Karting

Jan 29, 2008
    seattle wa
    Full Name:
    Arby Asatoorians
    I was in a coma for 2 months in late 2004 from a car accident. I woke up with not a clue what had happened to me. I was fortunate enough to not suffer any brain damage, I can't say the same for my spine but thats not the point right now.

I really hope he recovers, he was my favorite driver before leaving Ferrari :(

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Was it a medically induced coma after surgery? I hope so otherwise I hope he really pulls through this. :(

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

as we understand it he was in a coma before surgery

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Doesn't sound good in that case. :( If he was conscious after hitting his head and then went into a coma, sounds like a subdural hematoma.

12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    No worries, this unfortunate event has us all a bit stressed.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Already been conjectured as a possibility many pages back..... :(

Otherwise!..... I know you didn't mean to say that! :)

Ian

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The word "coma" is so misused and carries such negative connotations I think it is just about meaningless to discuss it.
    Likely he began to lose consciousness, and in that case a person will need to be incubated to protect his/her airway. With cerebral edema the procedure was likely to relieve a hematoma, and possibly place a pressure monitor. I have seen many people recover from similar trauma.
    He is no more in a "coma" than anyone who is incubated and sedated in an ICU anywhere across the world, or an Operating Room for that matter, or on propofol getting a colonoscopy.
    There is no use speculating at this point.
    Wait for news, send positive prayers.
    If there is any person on this planet who has the conditioning, and the strength of will, and fighting personality it is this man, Michael Schumacher.
    I will go out on a limb here and predict an excellent recovery for him!
    Like I have screamed so many times....

"GO SCHUMI!!!"

15. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    Isn't it an epidural hematoma when you have a lucid interval/consciousness first and then slip into a coma?

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    There's nothing wrong with a medically induced coma...I've had numerous patients in the ICU that required mechanical ventilation (intubation) and we put them in a "coma" 95% of the time and gave them a sedation holiday in the early mornings on rounds. On the other hand another guy needed it for literally years otherwise he was always in seizures without it. The "otherwise" comment meant if his body went into a coma by itself, than I really hope he makes through it as a medically induced one is pretty easy to reverse (just stop the medication drip) unlike the other. :(

You mean intubated? ;)

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Whoops yes, it is. Been a long weekend after a 15 hour drive to get back to FL last night.

We had two patients in the ED a couple years back in Tampa. One had an epidural hematoma (lady fell off a golf cart partying) and person next to her in the trauma bay a subdural hematoma (fell in the mall and had a headache get worse over a weeks time). Both arrived in a coma. Usually the epidural is worse as it rapidly can expand and herniate the brain. That night, the subdural patient died, but the other made it. Pretty serious stuff if you hit your head. Definitely don't think everything is okay just because you could get up and walk right after it happened. :(

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I am curious about something. If he hit his head so hard that through the helmet he was bleeding. If this is in fact true, then did he have a fall off a cliff or down a pit or something? It has been said that he and Mick were off pista.

19. trackspeed

trackspeed Rookie

Nov 6, 2012
    Win us one last race Michael, we all believe in you.

20. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    Never read that story before. Thank you so much for posting that. I hope our Schumi shows that determination this time too...

We're all praying for you champ!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, understood.

I guess I too am a little 'stressed' right now......

:)

First time I've smiled in hours! Thanks!

Ian

22. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Amazingly they reported Schumacher's accident on my local 10 o'clock news. They also mention former Formula 1 champion driver Dario Franchitti wished him well via Twitter. By God they gave it their best shot LOL.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Maybe he was just going too fast.

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Perhaps. If so, I hope he was going as fast as one can on snow skis.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    True.

One post (link?) a while back said they were between two 'intermediate' runs IIRC.

That doesn't mean the terrain they were in was likewise rated of course, but 'off piste' does not mean 'out of bounds' - I only use the piste to get to the trees. ;)

OTOH, coverage in there can be very sketchy when there's not enough coverage - easy to catch an edge on a rock/tree root. Normally, you hit more snow. But if you hit a rock? :( no cliffs required. :(

Ian