The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 14 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Lots of commentators on uk tv, but no news yet.

Best wishes to Michael, he must recover... Forza michael

2. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Good morning.
    There will be a press conference on German TV station "ntv" on 1100 CET.

Seems like his condition didn´t change in the night.

BTW, there is no confirmation to the rumour Schu and his son have been off-piste when the accident happened.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    How long till the hospital or MS's management release a statement? It's 5 pm here, should be around 9 am there in Paris. So 2 more hours?

4. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    It's 10 AM in Paris, 1 more hour.

5. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    News is out, so i can report. There has been a 2nd op in the middle of the night. Pressure in head was more than critical.

6. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Doesn't bode well. Thoughts and prayers are with him.

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks for the info. Latest news is, docs want to keep him in coma condition for the next 48 hours.

8. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  9. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    Hail the KING of F1. I am sure he knows millions of wellwishers are backing him up. Best to him and his family at this time.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

Be aware that in the case of Jean Todt and Ross Brawn at least, Schuey wasn't just a driver that they liked a great deal, he was like a son to them, a part of their families, so it's not that strange that would want to be at the hospital, not just for Michael, but for Corinna too.

As for:

The news I'm expecting to hear is that the situation is pretty much still the same.

As for all the talk of the coma:

Whilst a non-induced coma is obviously a serious concern, especially as it's not controllable in the way that an induced coma would be, it is the bodies natural way of shutting down to the bear minimum in order to assist in repairs to the body/mind (think of it as the body operating in "safe-mode", for all the computer experts out there).

The brain is the most misunderstood organ in the human body! - To this day, we still do not really understand how it operates fully! (Basically our brains cannot comprehend how amazing our brains are!). If damage to the brain occurs, it has the ability to detect it and rewire itself to use a different part to do the same job to one degree or another.

One thing that is for certain is that just because someone is in a coma, it doesn't automatically mean that they have simply given up on life!, or that they are guaranteed to be completely incapacitated if they come out of the coma. No two situations are ever exactly alike!

As I've previously posted, Schuey is a fighter! He's a professional sportsman who doesn't like to lose! His brain cannot accept the idea of just giving in! - It's simply not the way he is!

If you want to get some idea of how his mind works, try reading Alex Zanardi's story!:

Legs smashed off!, 70% of his blood lost!, heart stopped!, in a coma for 3 days!

His Doctors gave him very little chance of surviving and told his wife she'd be lucky if he even recognised her. if he did survive!

She knew differently though and told them: "You don't know My husband at all, do you?" and contacted BMW immediately to order a car with hand controls because he'd want to drive again once he was out of hospital!

Somehow, he did survive, because he wasn't prepared to just give up and lose! - He simply couldn't allow that to happen, even subconsciously!

How about Niki Lauda? - Given the last rites by a priest, but no way was he going out without a fight! - And he did fight back! - He stared death in the face and said: "f:censored:k you! - I've still got too many things I want to do!"

It's the same with Schuey! - His mind will not just give up!

11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    :(

Got up hoping for good news... or even no news.

Come on Michael!! You can win this!!

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Again, nothing is official in these informations, only rumors, hearsay, deductions, etc...
    We should wait for the official communiqué, still scheduled for this morning at about 11:00 Paris time, that is, 33 minutes from now, keeping in mind that it could be a little later.

I state again that I guess (this is only my guess, but I stand for it) that there will be nothing more than the mere facts, and no forecast whatsoever; not before at least 48h after the accident; it is more or less the usual practice here.

Rgds

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Assuming the facts in that article are accurate, he presented with a coma --- meaning that the injury trauma directly caused the coma immediately, and that he was comatose upon arrival to the hospital and prior to undergoing surgery.

Again, assuming that to be the case...... that does not bode well for him :(

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    That is all true......however.....

Assuming the facts in that article are accurate, he presented with a coma --- meaning that the injury trauma directly caused the coma immediately, and that he was comatose upon arrival to the hospital and prior to undergoing surgery.

Again, assuming that to be the case...... that does not bode well for him (or for any patient with a similar condition / presentation) :(

I will be greatly saddened, but not all surprised, if he does not make a full recovery :(.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, informations on this are clear: he was fully conscient after the accident, and chatted with the two persons that came to rescue him, who found him "coherent, but in a rather agitated state of mind". He then fell into coma during transportation (whether in the helicopter or after is not clear).

Some medias here have been questioning why the hospital has been giving only very few informations, and rather late after the accident; the hospital's answer to this is clear: it is Schumacher's family decision that official informations should be kept to the minimum.
    So these official informations are, until now, limited to the health bulletin of yesterday at about 22:30 here, and to the forecoming one at about 11:00 this morning.
    All other informations are non-official.

Rgds

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  17. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good luck for the Shu----------- now our health problems don't feel so critical! Lost

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Very helpful. Thanks for the link. As an MD, I try hard to avoid speculating on the medical condition. But this is worth a read to understand the issues at hand.

Bas's Link text quoted for simplicity.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Doctor: Without the helmet he would've been dead already.

Surgeon has said there's only been 1 surgery so far (which is good).

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Very true. While I am not an authority on head injury I have a neuroscience PhD (from a lab that did work on stroke and trauma injury) and still couldn't tell you precisely and definitively how it all works - all I could do is to identify which regions are structures are implicated in which processes. We can't even pin down a precise cause for intensely studied conditions such as depression and schizophrenia (part of my thesis), although some associated circuity has been identified and we know that pharmacological intervention with some systems (e.g. monoamines) can have positive and negative effects on symptoms. The phenomenon of a brain region retraining to take over a function is neuroplasticity, and it's amazing.

Specifically on stroke/trauma, if Michael's injury is severe enough to have killed off part of his brain either through blunt force trauma or ischemia (lack of oxygenated blood), then doctors will be working to save the penumbra, which is the area surrounding the core of the irretrievably damaged tissue. Unfortunately, dying tissue releases neurotransmitters when membranes break down and this can kill surrounding cells in the penumbra through a process known as excitotoxicity. This is a danger in addition to those discussed earlier, such as pressure and swelling. I hope it is not that bad.

You are right, Michael Schumacher is a fighter - I cannot believe he'd give up. He also has the resources to ensure the best medical care on the planet, so will give himself the best possible chance for a good recovery.

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Condition is very critical, extremely serious.

Fight Red Baron, FIGHT!!!!

23. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    All the best Michael. You can win this one as well!! Let's hope he fully recovers from this.

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Woke up to hear that is is as bad as crazyblack indicated.

Terrible news;(

25. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Press conference.

Still in critical condition, brain is damaged, still in coma. ONE operation has been done yesterday, no talk about a second one!

Crash would have been fatal without helmet and Schu´s great physical condition was/is a big advantage in this case.