The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 195 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    I hope to see Mick in F1 one day!!

absostone likes this.
  2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    When the interviewer asks him about whether he and Schumacher were friends, Rubens says how much he was a nice guy with a wine glass in hand, but in a competitive environment a completely different animal.

He says in his recent hospitalisation he spoke Schumacher's name under sedation, as he is present sub-consciously.

Finally yes, the quote above is correct, however it should not really be understood as a standoffish attitude from the family, just a matter of fact kind of statement as in "it won't be good for you, and we don't think it will make a positive difference for his condition, so it's better not to go there". There's a subtle difference. It's not that seeing Rubens would be bad for him, it's just that it wouldn't be good/wouldn't make a difference. So I'm thinking they just want it to be private. Remember, Massa had access, as they were really friends. Rubens and MS, not so much.

Jeronimo GTO and SPEEDCORE like this.
  3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I completely disagree.

Michael choose his career. And while in that career, he made hundreds of millions by schlepping for products--beer, banks, etc. In essence, his advertisements were requests of his fans to become customers of his sponsors. And as more fans became customers, Michael grew richer. Michael asked his fans to do something, with the "wink" that Michael would return the favor.

He put himself in the public eye, and that brings a concomitant obligation to allow us to look in on his life.

While I believe the family is free to do whatever they want, I am equally free to criticize their handling of the matter.

Patrick Dixon and rob lay like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 he was and is a public figure. We are so shocked the public is interested in his condition.....lol. A statement from the family will not be a big surprise given the nature of his injuries at all. It would be more of a confirmation.

rob lay likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You might make that argument while he was actively racing and schlepping products, but not after.

Matt LaMotte and Bas like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He continued to make money post career. He is a public figure by default injury or not. The family can do what they want but the precedent was set by them long ago. I dont care what they really think but there are fans who honestly simply want to know how he is doing and not profit from it. They care for MS. Essentially a fan is now the enemy more or less. THey were not when profit was involved.

Patrick Dixon and rob lay like this.
  7. Absolutely. I don't even know why I come to this thread any more. Hopefully to find some reasonable posts like yours. I suppose I should just "unwatch" the thread as in accidents on the highway, there are those that are never going to stop causing traffic to get a view of nothing to do with themselves.....

So many are just "rubber neckers". It's nobody's business except the family's what info is made public.

No mas.

8. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I felt a need to know after it happened. 4years later,let it be a private matter.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Let's wish Michael well and leave him and his family alone.

If that's what they want, it's no business of ours.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, because Michael got rich we need to invade his privacy and his family's privacy? Sorry I don't get it.

I'm sure the family, and perhaps Michael himself, does not want the public to see the state Michael is in now. I'm sure it would be disturbing to most of us.

They don't ask for our sympathy. They only ask that his health situation remain private. I don't see what's so wrong about that.

I know one of the security guards who worked the Reagan Ranch when Reagan was in his last few years. There are no photographs of him that we know of but he was in a pretty poor state from what I was told. Reagan was the President of the USA. I don't recall anyone complaining we need to see pictures of him in poor health.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Michael became rich, before his accident it was reported that he quietly supported charities that he didn't want recognition for . Let his family have the privacy they ask for.

mcimino, Makuono, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  12. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    There is only going to be one press release from the family

scudF1 likes this.
  13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Pls people...consider doing with Mayor suggests. repect their wishes. its the classy respectful thing to do. dont toss around conjecture or opinions. You have no idea who is reading this now or will in the future.

14. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I really don't think it's a question of photos. Only a ghoul would want to see photos.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Then, I don't understand the point. The family says he's rehabilitating. What more information do we need?

The answer: None

I personally think the family has taken the correct route here. Michael's struggles are extreme. Issuing "updates" or "reports of his condition" only bring speculation and questions.

When Michael feels he is ready to be back in the public eye, he will. That's his decision and not ours.

16. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Then we will have to disagree. I think Jules Bianchi's family did it much better and owed the public much less.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Did what? And who owes anyone anything?

Jules died in a track accident. Michael had a serious accident having fun on ski course while retired. Somehow I’m trying to find a connection between these two but I can’t.

Jakuzzi and Matt LaMotte like this.
  18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Jules didn't, but I'm not here to educate you.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #4869 TheMayor, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Jules did die of a track incident.

The first week or two after Michael’s accident wasn’t much different than Jules’ updates.

When the idiot reporter snuck into his hospital room to take a picture the family shut everyone out. I don’t blame them. It’s their family and their call.

tifoso2728 and Matt LaMotte like this.
  20. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

There is nothing wrong with it. You fail to understand my point. The family is free to do exactly what they want. I am not suggesting that we invade their privacy in any way--especially now that a substantial amount of time has passed. Frankly, I had not thought of Michael in a long time. My son has a Michael T-Shirt in a family photo taken on vacation long ago. When I see it, I remember Schuey in full throttle, braking late into a corner, controlling the oversteer (he preferred oversteer because he could control it). I remember him at Spa, when Mika overtook him and Zonda, blipping the throttle and jerking the car every so slightly to the left to give Mika enough room to make the pass stick, but not so much room that if Mika overshot his braking that Schuey could pull the over and under on Mika. It was a brilliant move by Mika, and an equally brilliant move by Michael to stay so close and not cause an accident.

But, I am equally in my right by wanting to know more. However, given where we are, there is really no use in getting more information. The next update will be his passing. And, that, to me that is the end of an era--when I came to love F-1, and saw the greatest driver of all time.

I understand your thoughts. See my comments above.

21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I
    I do not share your opinion , but I respect your opinion.

23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Who's opinion?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  24. Horse feathers. (there's a substitute for feathers but I won't...)

Absolutely.

edit: As a matter of fact, we the fans owe MS and his family the respect of leaving them alone.

25. How about the poster he quoted??? ;):p:)