The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 24 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Stability and mild improvement- that's a 'fastest lap' in my book. Come on Schuey- bang in some more fastest laps and lets get this race won! Onwards and upwards.

2. AntonioMora

AntonioMora F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2004
    Malaga (España)
    Full Name:
    Antonio Mora Romero
    I pray for michael, i hope his victory in this hard race.

3. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    It's way too early to say he's in stabile condition.

His condition is slightly better than yesterday, that's all.
    As I said, in this phase, things can turn good or bad within seconds.
    Talking about stability is senseless before Thursday or Friday.

Doctors said "slightly better condition, but still critical". No word about stabilising.

4. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry Bas, but then I absolutely disagree with him.

I don't know how proficient he is in french, but there is NOTHING whatsoever in the original french text of the conference speaking of "stabilisation"; anyone stating that Michael's state of health has stabilised will, again, make deductions, assumptions, etc...but there is not a word like this in the declarations of his doctors.

There is, however, something that could be (could be, not necessarly can be) read as slightly frightening: the mention of "other damages" to the brain ("autres lésions au cerveau").

Rgds

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    He is improving.
    Other "lesions" likely contusions.
    Today is better than yesterday.

He may not be 100% ever again, but he will be alive.
    I predict we will see a news story next year, 2015, showing Michael skiing.
    He will do this to prove to the world yet again his courage and champion mentality.

Go Schumi!

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Having been through a situation like this with Jason Workman (no relation) a few
    years ago after his incident at Palm Beach International Raceway, MS's condition will
    officially remain critical. It could be weeks or even months before an official statement
    reads "stable".

All of the positive energy and good wishes are helping but the fact is, with a severe
    brain injury such as this, time is the only real healer. It sounds as though the doctors
    are getting to grips with controlling some of the internal bleeding as this is what they
    keep referring to.

They're keeping MS in a medically induced coma in order to keep him from moving
    and thus creating further injury. Occasionally they will slowly bring him out of the coma
    to test his reflexes and reactions to stimulation and then put him back under. It's routine
    in a case such as this.

Everyone wants MS's complete and speedy recovery but it's going to take time. As the
    statement reads, he is in a more stable condition than he was 24 hours previously.

This is going to be a long, slow process.

BHW

8. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Michael,

From the words used in french during today's conference, I can assure everyone here that they are not talking about stabilisation (hopefully, "not yet talking") and the words they used to say that the situation has very slightly improved are very, very, cautious. It seems really too early to conclude anything yet. His life is not yet out of danger.

Rgds

10. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    CBCNews.ca Mobile

Docs say surprising results from brain Scan show slight improvement but cannot predict future from now

11. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

yub...that`s what I wanted to underline with the link to Gary`s blog

t`as raison...je parle francais ;)
    j`ai ecouté l`originale

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ich frohe mich darüber, ich spreche noch ein bisschen Deutsch...

13. b4z

b4z Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Wondering how much brain matter they have had to remove and how this will affect him.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In cases like this an assured outcome is not possible for quite some time. Every day is progress but setbacks are always a concern.

If anyone can come through an injury such as this its Michael.

15. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Absolutely.

Michael is a winner.

He will pull through this.

16. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
  17. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey

If he was out of physical shape he would have a slim chance of making it. Being in good physical conditioning his body will have the strength to fight and pull through.

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm has revealed some details: He was skiing with a group of friends, not only his son. He helped a friend who fell down, then skied into the rocky area between the ski runs. While attempting a turn, he crashed against a rock, flew through the air and fell into another rock head first.

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As I read the statement, it simply states that there have some signs of slight improvement (which is good news), but does not mention any stabilisation of his condition yet.

His Doctors are rightfully being very careful with the information that they are releasing at the moment because:

A) As I understand it, under French Law they are quite restricted as to the degree of information they can disclose (others will know more about this than I do)

And

B) They want to avoid being irresponsible and get peoples hopes up prematurely. They realise that their words are open to the close scrutiny of both the press and the whole World at the moment and that the slightest misinterpretation could cause all manner of problems.

Part of the problem is that people are desperate to hear good news and so, to a degree will hear/read and interpret what they want to hear (as we are already starting to see here).

It should also be noted that Doctors in these fields of medicine tend to prefer to work along the theory of the worst possible situation - If you're prepared for the worst then you're less likely to be met with any unexpected surprises. It will be a long time before you will see the Doctors giving out statements that do not contain a note of caution with them - If ever!

My advice would be: Yes, keep positive about the situation, but keep your feet on the ground when even the slightest bit of positive information is released. Don't expect some sort of miracle recovery to take place! - Schuey is far from being out of the woods yet!

If you think of his recovery as a Grand Prix season then he's just about to have his seat fitting for the new car at the factory before it's ready to head off to the first pre-season test! - There's still a lot of work to be done yet - But if anyone can rise to the challenge of the workload required, I'd bet everything I own on Schuey doing it!

20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Here's a little more info on the accident
    The party was skiing in an area of deep snow when Schumacher helped a friend who had fallen, she said. As he set off again and went to make a turn, he seems to have hit a rock hidden under the snow.

This catapulted him into the air and he fell head down with all his weight onto another rock, she said, resulting in severe injuries to his head.

Schumacher was not traveling fast at the time, Kehm said, so those with him were initially shocked by how badly he was hurt. "It's not a question of speed but of the angle that you hit the rock," she said.

Kehm also cautioned against reading too much into the doctors' latest report.

"They made it very clear that they are not optimistic, that ... there was a slight improvement compared to the situation yesterday, which doesn't mean we can be optimistic yet," she said. "It's much too early to say."

Kehm declined to comment on the emotional state of Schumacher's family.

But she said "heartwarming" messages of support have come flooding in via e-mails, text messages and letters from people around the world.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Phil,

In France, and with all due reserves, etc...legally speaking, a doctor is the keeper of the "secret médical" (medical secret) which belongs to the patient: the doctor is entrusted of this secret by the patient.
    It means that no Doctor is allowed to disclose anything about the state of health of someone, be it the nature of pathology, illness, etc...even if that person is dead ("le secret médical appartient au patient et s'éteint avec lui" = "medical secret belongs to the patient and disappears with him") UNLESS said person has authorised him to do so beforehand.

I guess this does not apply in case of injuries that have been public and seen by a lot of different persons, but theoretically, only the patient himself may authorise a Doctor to divulge anything about his health. If the patient (and only the patient) does not expressely authorise the Doctor to do so, the Doctor is not allowed to mention it, speak about it, etc...and under no circumstances.

Rgds

22. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    #597 modena1967, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The world is showing it's support, so any improvement is good news for now. I remember hearing Mario Andretti talk of his brother Aldo's coma back in 1959 when he fractured his skull in a serious crash. The first 48 hrs were the most crucial.

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Thank you for that clarification. :)

I was wondering about it because we had a news report here in the UK and it was mentioned by the reporter that the Doctors were limited in the amount of detail that they could reveal due to French Law (Which did make Me wonder if it was more of a case that the reporter simply didn't really understand what the Doctors were talking about!).

I suspect the French Laws are probably very similar to the UK Laws on the subject.

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    He's not out of the woods yet, hang in there Michael.

Still praying for you, God's not done with you here on this planet yet.