The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Hoping for win #92!! Prayers for michael

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What is the link?

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

don't have a link to the actual story but it was just posted on pelican parts...I will search for the link.

4. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    My here :(

I am speechless..

5. Modulo_B

Modulo_B Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rudy
    This is so shocking, unreal
    My thoughts and Best Wishes for the Great Champ!!

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    No words were ever so true.

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The BBC are reporting that Jean Todt is at the hospital : BBC News - Michael Schumacher, ex-F1 champion, critical after ski fall

"Professor Gerard Saillant, a close ally and friend of Schumacher, and his former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt are at the hospital."

There's no mention of Ross being there in that report but I wouldn't be surprised if he is there.

8. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    With the dynamic of this situation how could they and others close to him not want to be right by his side.

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #159 ricksb, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    More details...doesn't sound good. Best wishes to he and his family....

Michael Schumacher is fighting for his life after he fell and hit his head on a rock while skiing with his son.
    A leading brain surgeon was seen arriving at the hospital in Grenoble, France, where the ex-Formula One driver was being treated.
    His family were also at the hospital, where medical sources confirmed Schumacher was in a 'critical state' and suffering from a brain haemorrhage.
    Eyewitnesses said Schumacher lost consciousness briefly after falling and hitting his head on a rock.

They saw blood oozing from his helmet in the eight minutes between the fall and medics arriving in a helicopter to pick him up.
    The accident happened while Schumacher was skiing off-piste.
    Yesterday a spokesman for the resort said it proved 'you can't do whatever you want', and that skiers should stay on the pistes.

Last night the Dauphine Libere newspaper in Grenoble reported that the German's life was in danger.
    Its report read: 'The state of health of the veteran driver has worsened and his condition is considered life-threatening, according to our information.'
    The Dauphine is one of the most respected papers in the Alps, with reliable medical contacts.

Brain surgeon Gerard Saillant has arrived at the hospital in Grenoble to treat the Formula 1 star
    Schumacher, who turns 45 on Friday, was skiing with his 14-year-old son Mick in Meribel, in the Trois Vallees ski area of the French Alps.
    He owns a property in the popular resort.
    He was at an altitude of almost 7,000ft at an 'off-piste junction' between two marked descents – Chamois, a red run, and Biche, a blue run, according to ski resort officials.
    Eyewitnesses who called the emergency services reported seeing blood coming from his helmet and marking the snow around.
    Olivier Desaulty, a spokesman for Meribel Alpina, a ski lift company, said: 'Some skiers saw the accident and called us.
    'We immediately sent two ski patrols who were close by. They checked him and called a helicopter.
    'Apparently he was briefly – a minute or so – unconscious. But he came around quickly and was then talking.
    'He said he had hit his head on a rock. He was wearing a helmet fortunately. The helicopter arrived very quickly and he was taken to hospital.”
    A spokesman for mountain rescue said: 'He fell and hit his head at 11.07am. A helicopter was at the site at 11.15am.

Read more: Michael Schumacher 'suffers serious head injuries in skiing accident' | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #160 Napolis, Dec 29, 2013
  11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Autosport confirmed MS is in critical condition. This sucks.

12. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I posted several hours before, that his family, incl his father, are on the way to Grenoble. Corinna and his daughter arrived in the meantime. His son was beside him at the accident. I don't know about Jean and Ross, but I can imagine, that they on the way. I can't give you a link, but i have very bad informations. I can't say more in respect of the family. He is just 2 month older than me.

13. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #163 johnhoughtaling, Dec 29, 2013
  14. ferraripete

thank you for the post. my sad suspicion is that it is indeed dire and that friends have been called to pay last respects...how can this effen be? mortality can hit us so hard.

we must keep faith.

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow - this sucks. My thoughts and prayers with him and his family, it doesn't sound good.

My wife met Ralf Schumacher when we were at the Canadian Grand Prix - he couldn't have been a nicer person. Of course Ralf and Michael are different people, but he always seemed a classy and friendly person, especially given his accomplishments.

Hoping for the best.

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not necessarily last respects. In cases like this the outcome is unpredictable.
    He's in God's hands. All any if us can do is wait and pray.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Just awful, awful news. I have always enjoyed following his many exploits, both in driving and otherwise.

A critical factor, maybe THE critical factor, in these type of injuries is time until treatment. It sounds like his treatment could not have happened any faster, with the helicopter on scene within minutes. Hopefully they caught it in time and he can fight through. So tragic. Never take a single day for granted. :(

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. My wife's dad was in a critical situation 2 weeks ago. We enjoyed a great visit with him at the recovery center today.

All hope is not lost, but the situation is in God's hands, as you stated.

19. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My thoughts are with Michael. I spent 15 years on the Lake Louise ski patrol in Banff, retired 11 years ago just when helmets for adults were beginning to be worn. When the first reports said Schumacher was airlifted off the mountain, I knew it was bad. When they said he was airlifted from the local hospital to the larger hospital in Grenoble, I knew it was worse.

He's got the best of care, now time will tell.

20. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    In my opinion he is right. It will be the last respect.

21. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #171 barbazza, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Exactly. Family and close friends will always rush to the hospital when a loved one has an injury like this. Doesn't mean death is imminent. I remember it was a similar situation when Richard Hammond had his brain injury and now he's back to being his angry little self.

I have a feeling he'll pull through based on the fact he is still alive. He'll be in an induced coma until the swelling goes down. My bigger concern is the brain bleed and what that means for his functionality going forward.

22. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I have a very bad feeling about this. But if I had a head injury and surgery my wife and best friends are coming. There no way you can say its for last respects.

Of course we can only speculate but I'm hoping for some good things. He had a helmet. The initial reports were not as bad. He was air lifted (hopefully) quickly surgery seemingly quickly to relieve pressure. He's got the best doctors. Its likely down to how bad it was initially and how quickly the were able to relieve pressure. It's all guessing, and I don't feel good but I am hoping.

23. ferraripete

I fear crazyblack may know more than he feels able to tell...:(

the internet is real and a man who many of us have a strong connection to has a life in balance. this is tough to watch unfold.

24. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #174 barbazza, Dec 29, 2013
    For those on Twitter, follow @former_f1doc for some good medical perspective on these types of injuries. It is Gary Hartstein, the man who succeeded Sid Watkins in F1.

Direct link already posted: https://twitter.com/former_f1doc (thanks Florian)

25. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    #175 Vanquish80, Dec 29, 2013
    +1

I suspected his injuries worse than German media expected, but I didn´t suspect it that bad.