The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    horse****.. I've lost to many friends to skiing accidents... Can't believe this might take out Schumie.. positive vibes.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Perhaps, but without further information I hold out hope.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes. Absolute hope.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree by all means.

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    No, what usually occurs in these instances is that while the helmet shields the skull itself from fractures, crushing, etc., what it cannot do is prevent is the brain (which is basically floating inside) from being thrown against the inside of the skull with enough force to cause injury and bleeding. Therefore, while the skull remains intact, the brain can be severely injured.

6. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Hope we have more hopeful news tomorrow.

Michael Schumacher is in a "critical" condition in hospital following a head injury suffered in a fall while skiing with his son in the French Alps.

Although he was wearing a helmet he suffered a serious head trauma and was flown to hospital in Moutiers by helicopter and was subsequently transferred to a bigger facility in Grenoble. Although he was reported to be conscious immediately after the accident, he had lost consciousness by the time he reached hospital.

A statement from Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Grenoble said Schumacher had "suffered a severe head trauma with coma on arrival, which required immediate neurosurgical treatment" and that "he remains in a critical condition".

Christophe Gernignon-Lecomte, director general of Meribel ski resort, told radio station RMC: "The police are in the process of investigating the cause of the fall. He fell at 11.07am, whilst off piste in Meribel. The emergency services arrived quickly at 11.15am. He was in shock, a little shaken but conscious."

Professor Gerard Saillant, a close ally and friend of Schumacher, and his former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt were at the hospital along with Schumacher's wife and children. Professor Saillant is an expert in brain and spine injury who oversaw Schumacher's care when he broke his leg in the 1999 British Grand Prix.

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Praying.

C'mon Schumi!

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Schumi is in God's hands now, hopefully our prayers and thoughts will bring him back to us!!!

9. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    exactly correct, the well know coup and counter coup effect

10. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    #186 crazyblack, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    It is not on me to make official statements. That is part of the management or the family. I only have things posted that are than later on the media. It is difficult for me not to tell more than that, what is known but give a look of what it really is. All of that in a different language. It would be much more easyer to write in german.

Indeed, i have some information that goes beyond that what is in the press. It come from the bottom of my heart and I truly wish that Michael will leave the hospital in good condition but I fear, that will not happen.
    Normally, i have been there on friday.

The reason I started posting on this thread many hours before was to say, that it is more happen than it is written in the media and people have to face, that we can lost him.

All that with the deep faith, that I will be false.

11. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I wish Schumacher the best and we're all just speculating here but predictability is asymmetric, sadly - depending on how his CT looks there may be a chance of a positive outcome or the certainty of a negative one.

12. ferraripete

we understand and thank you.

13. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    @crazyblack
    If you want to share your information with the community, you could write me a PM in German and I could translate to English and post it.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Please write it in German...someone here will then translate.
    Thanks.
    Thinking of Michael and his family. :(

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    If this is what's happened then he must have hit quite hard. I hope he wins this race. You can do this Schumy.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #192 Igor Ound, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Please be O.K. Schumi...

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I've been following this thread since it was a couple of pages. Very interesting and sad progression. It sounds like the medical team has been chasing the situation and has not been able to get ahead of it. Hopefully they can. If he survives, it may take a while but a good recovery is possible.

Best wishes to MS,

Art S.

19. ferraripete

we may want to respect crazyblack's position...out of respect for the champion as well as his friends and family, we should let the news break as it is released. we will continue to pray and hold our faith.

pcb

20. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    All the best Michael-you will pull thru

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I heard about it last night about 10 pm, when i was in a friend's Christmas party.

This is really bad news, but i'm pretty sure he'll pull through. The reports i've read are all pretty frightening, but i think he can really do this.

It seems that JT, his wife, family, and Ross Brawn are at the hospital now.

22. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Hoping for the best for him and his family...the guys been a hero to me for years. Get well soon Michael.

23. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    +1 Fight man.....

24. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Der Aufprall auf den Stein muss sehr heftig gewesen sein. Noch an der Unfallstelle hat es direkt Blutungen aus dem Schädel gegeben, obwohl er einen Helm trug. Er ist unmittelbar nach dem Unfall bewusstlos gewesen, ist aber dann nochmals zu sich gekommen und war ansprechbar. Der Unfall muss von mehrern Leuten beobachtet worden sein, da Hilfe von Dritten gerufen wurde. Die Ersthelfer haben dann direkt den Hubschrauber gerufen.
    Wann er dann genau ins Koma gefallen ist, kann ich nicht sagen, aber es war im ersten Krankenhaus. Er ist dann bereits im Koma liegend nach Grenoble geflogen worden. Inwieweit die Blutungen Hirnschäden hervorgerufen haben ist mir nicht 100% klar, aber ich schliesse aus den geführten Telefonaten nichts Gutes. Aus persönlicher Erfahrung mit einem ähnlichen Fall von Hirnblutungen bei meinem Vater im Alter von 54 kenne ich die Verfahrensweise. Auch wir sind damals ins Krankenhaus gerufen worden. Letztlich sagte uns der Arzt es ist eine Sache von Stunden, bis das Hirn sich abschaltet durch die massiven Schäden der Blutungen. Alles erinnert mich frappierend daran.
    Das Koma ist jedenfalls nicht künstlich zur Stabilisierung herbeigeführt worden. Er ist derzeit maschinell versorgt.