"The Most Iconic Ferrari in the World." | FerrariChat

"The Most Iconic Ferrari in the World."

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Jan 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    The first of the 2 great ex Rob Walker/Stirling Moss Ferrari 250GT SWB Berlinetta Competiziones, #2119GT.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WHiL6oFci8]The Most Iconic Ferrari in the World - YouTube[/ame]

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I wonder who the lucky new owner is?

3. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    What a great video Steve! A real joy to watch and I must say DK Engineering has some very nice clips on their website. Thanks for posting this great video! Edmond

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, it's very clever how DK Engineering in their video entwined the original British Pathe sound and footage of the 1960 Goodwood TT to highlight how Stirling listened to the live coverage of the event on the radio in the car during the race.

Original footage: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stirling-on-top/query/stirling+moss

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #5 miurasv, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #6 miurasv, Feb 5, 2013
    Also reported by the Daily Mail.

See here: Classic Ferrari raced to victory by Stirling Moss becomes most expensive car sold in Britain after going for £7MILLION | Mail Online

A bit of mis info in the article that doesn't matter at all really. It was 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione #2417GT, not #2119GT that came second at the 1961 Goodwood TT driven by Mike Parkes. The 3rd and 4th pictures in the DM article are of 250 GT SWB Berlinetta #2735GT.

Pictures by Tim Scott.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I can't help but chuckle every time I see the start of this race. Notice how Colin Davis (a Brit) runs up to the right side of (left-hand-drive) 1875 GT, and then has to run around the car to enter on the correct side. :)

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Which car is the one that was featured in Octane magazine, as well as a few other titles, with Sir Stirling behind the wheel a year or two ago? Not this car, correct? I had read it was rebodied in period by Drogo, then brought back to SWB specs by Classiche, with a new engine block and all...

If this is a different car (which I understand it is) then it certainly is THE SWB to own. New buyer should certainly be happy. I think it's the most beautiful Ferrari ever made, even prettier than the GTO or P4... Perhaps only matched by 250 0515GT or a pontoon fender 250TR...

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That would be the fabulous 1961 #2735GT. There was an article in Motor Sport Magazine about it in 2011. Was there one in Octane recently too?

See here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-redline-restorations/383058-best-gt-car-world-stirling-moss-250-gt-swb-berlinetta-competizione-2735gt.html

10. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The price paid was £10 million not > £7 million as reported????

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I meant Motor Sport. I used to buy both at the time, but since I've moved back home to Brazil only my subscription to Motor Sport continued...

13. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Price was not £10,000,000.

Paul

14. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Well you should know ! Highly envious.........Promise you'll drop by the garage tomorrow with it.........might buy you lunch if I get a drive......

15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Only if it is not raining

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #16 intrepidcva11, Feb 6, 2013
    Steve, which of these is the SWB that Stirling and Graham Hill raced for Rob Walker in the '61 24 Heures du Mans? That is the only le Mans I ever actually attended, doing graduate law studies in Paris at the time and drove down with my below, beloved, not quite yet fiancee.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17 miurasv, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Your beloved, not quite yet fiancee was very beautiful, if you don't mind my saying. It was #2735GT that was raced by Stirling Moss and Graham Hill at Le Mans, 1961. Somebody with knowledge of the race sent me some very interesting information about the car in the race.

Read all about #2735GT here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-redline-restorations/383058-best-gt-car-world-stirling-moss-250-gt-swb-berlinetta-competizione-2735gt.html

It must have been great to have been at Le Mans in 1961. Here is the information I was sent regarding #2735GT at Le Mans, '61.

"In 1961 it was simply (with Moss behind the wheel) the fastest GT car in the world and recognised as such.

Though Moss won 5 ex 6 of all his races in 2735, perhaps his greatest effort was at La Sarthe, (where he DNF’d for the only time) in 2735 - because at Le Mans, it was running a full 4 laps ahead of 2689 after 9 hours and 3rd OA which was amazing so early in the race. Moss was ‘ding-donging’ with (but ahead of) Roy Salvadori and Jim Clark, each in their DBR1s, which after all were pure prototypes driven by all time greats. Also at one stage when he took 3rd place, he was ahead of Parkes and Mairesse in their works TR61. A GT car simply should not live with a prototype, and definitely not with ones with the calibre of the aforementioned drivers. The point is that 2735 was running 3rd on merit and not just because the better cars had dropped out of the running, which is normally why GT cars get promoted up the rankings. That made it so special and if you were to read the Motor Racing Comics of the time when they reported on Le Mans, they were all in real awe of Moss’ and G. Hill’s achievements in 2735."

18. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I adore the 250GT SWB and in particular the Walker cars....

But "Most Iconic Ferrari" ? No way.

A red 308GTS - THAT is the most iconic Ferrari, courtesy of one Thomas Magnum.

For Ferrari nuts and folks who really are into the history of the marque - the Walker SWB may be tops. But the vast majority of people out there have no idea what this is. So if your defining "Iconic" as meaning the image or model most associated by the largest number of people with the brand "Ferrari" - its a red 308GTS.

Terry

19. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I GUARANTEE the Testarossa adorned more walls & is more recognized World wide than a 308GTS could ever dream of being!!!...Mark

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #20 miurasv, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    It's a matter of interpretation and I guess that DK Engineering are using the word "iconic" to mean uncritically adored, revered and admired rather than most famous or well known Ferrari.

If you google "iconic cars" this comes up in the results: http://gearpatrol.com/2011/12/02/feature-here-to-eternity-the-50-most-iconic-cars-in-motoring-history/

Also referred to as "iconic" here: http://www.complex.com/rides/2013/02/iconic-ferrari-250-gt-raced-by-stirling-moss-most-expensive-car-ever-sold-in-britain

21. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, I didn't do too bad, I own "3" of the cars listed...Mark

22. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Totally disagree.

23. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Agree - somebody threw out "The Most Iconic" label on this SWB to hype the car for a high-dollar payday. Love how the British Press and DK Engineering are so-easily manipulated by marketing hype and their own hubris to help somebody sell a car at auction. It isn't even RED for Chrissakes! Iconic? For a Ferrari? Please. More people know who Thomas Magnum is than Stirling Moss - I'm not saying it's 'right'. I'm just saying what's true.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I don't think a 308 GTS, even one driven by Tom Selleck as Magnum is going to fetch $11 million US (>£7M) any time soon. 2119GT was not sold at auction, but in a private sale. The DK Engineering video was released after the sale so there was no need for any "marketing hype" or manipulation by or of the press whatsoever. Just saying what's true. :)

25. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Who's Thomas Magnum ?