The New M5 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The New M5

Discussion in 'Other German' started by tfazio, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Yes, that is much to fast.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Actually, 8 minutes flat. Being 25 seconds quicker than the last m5

3. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
  4. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    THe old M5 was a wicked performer, and now they have knocked 25 seconds off the Nurburgring lap? Thats insane.

I also think it looks like crap. That photoshop above is awesome. Those are the only two real problems with the asthetics of the car IMO, the eyebrow headlights and deformed kidney grill.

EDIT: Its amazing how slight modifications to those two things can really throw off the whole car!

5. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Mike I tend to agree with you on the topic. I do not like the new shape. The old shape is great!

As for the Mercedes Benz's, that power will be AMAZING!!

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

No doubt the 65 cars will be awesome, however, the M5 and the CL/SL are not in the same class, IMHO. :)

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Yeah, but the CL/SL65s are offered at ... 350k!!!! Yup. That's a crapload over msrp. Very nice car, but not at that price.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It's hard to compare the 65's to the *simple* M5. Those are Bi-Turboed V12's that are tuned to be torque monsters. Heck, the engines are de-tuned because the tranny can't handle all that power!

M5 vs E55. Leave it at that, unless of course the E60 (bigger engined W211) comes out. But those are still rumors.

As said before, the M5 better be whipping some serious Mercedes butt as they've had too long to plan a better, faster, more drive-able (sp?) car.

9. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ryan, I agree with you but let me quickly tell you about my experience with both cars. I purchased a 540i (couldn't get an M5 at the time) six speed and then got on the list for an M5. I waited awhile until the M5 arrived. I was about to trade the 540i for an M5. At the same time my dealer had a customer cancel their CL55 order. I decided to drive the CL55 the same day I was going to take delivery of the M5.

The CL55 just blew me away. I have to tell you, there is no substitute for HP and torque. The CL55 (493HP version) is amazing in terms of straight line speed. The M5 is lighter and handles better. It demands more of the driver.

It was a really tough choice for me but it came down the fact that I already had sports cars and I decided the CL55 was, for me, a better every day driver. I had the CL55 at Road America last summer and my good friend had his M5. He is a really good driver, unlike me. He was surprised at how well the CL55 handled, and of course, he was really impressed with the power. I had the chance to drive his M5 alot and I was really impressed. The car handles/brakes so well and has more than adequate power. It's just a blast to drive.

M5 vs. CL/SL 65? Tough choice. Two different cars. Two great cars.

BTW, I have both a CL65 and SL65 on order. I cannot afford both so I'm not sure which one to take. The SL65 is supposed to be at my dealer in a month so I'll probably take that car simply because I already owned a CL.

The really cool thing about the CL55 is it is kind of a "wolf in sheep's clothing". I could pull up at a stop light next to Trans Am or Corvette or 911 and absolutely blow its doors off just be pressing on the accelerator. The look on the driver's faces was priceless because even many "car guys" don't really know what the car is or what it can do. I can only imagine what the CL65 will be like. :)

10. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    You MUST post pictures and impressions of that BEAST when it arrives!

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H