The new me :) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The new me :)

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Merdav, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    testing the laser difffuser is a great idea.
    i know that the k40 is crap, but i am interested in testing the lidatek out.
    if it works, i'm getting one..... then i'll have the k40, v1, lidatek... i'll volunteer to be the 150mph pace car for you guys on all our runs!

2. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Whenever I'm running with you guys I notice alot of rear kA signal coming from behind (where most of you guys are) :), anybody else get this? Yesterday I had to keep covering my rear pickup just to shut it up!

3. udalmia

udalmia Guest

I dont know abotu that but the day back from the LI video shoot where we had all those incidents, my X-band was going NUTS the entire way through

4. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Do any police still use X-band radar? I thought that was outdated...

5. udalmia

udalmia Guest

thats what I was thinking,, weird shiz

what mode do you put your V1 on Mike?

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    was wondering if Naynay's Lidatek or any V1's went off when Brad got into the incident this weekend? was cop using radar? or was just pace?

7. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    It was laser that Brad got hit with and it was at pretty close range. That would have been a tough one to "diffuse" based on the situation. We were coming out from under an overpass to an uphill area where the cop was sitting in Laser position. No way to see him or react fast enough.

8. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I run mine on the big "L" I think pro logic, suppose to filter out the X-band crap, I'll check my manual when I get home today.

9. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Eric did you pick up the laser? I'm surprised they got a good reading I thought they aimed at the license plate, which is sans on most of our cars.

10. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Just an FYI...NJ State Troopers still use X band. At least some of them do cause NJ is too cheap to buy newer units. The NYS guys have filtered K and KA band units and are more frequently using Laser. I hate Lidar!

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    It's been my experience NJ has LOTS of x-band.
    the folks running Ka rarely do the instant-on piece. I tend to see it always on.

Laser...I get a few hits.

12. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    What sucks about the x-bands is every neon sign, road hazard sign, business alarm signal, and half the other stuff out there sets it off.....you don't know to hit your brakes or buy a Big Mac.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy

Yeah. but it's the White Castle sliders you really have to be careful of :)

14. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I actually don't have the diffuser in the 993...only in the Audi. I do have the radar in the 993 and as reflection is concerned, our headlights are just as reflective as the plate. The width of the beam at a few hundred feet should cover most of the frontal area of the car and hence, you're toast. The diffusers are suppose to emit a light reflective signal that confuses the Lidar gun. The better the diffusers actually are "cycled" whereas they stop emitting 5 sec after the initial attack. Then the officer can get a reading after you have slowed down. In Brad's case it was a close encounter attack and it would have been tough to jam any signal at that range. I keep picturing the exact moment I saw the trooper on the GCP...it's haunting me dammit! :-(

I hate the feeling that you get the minute you know he got ya...sucks.

15. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    nothing can guarantee you from ever getting a tix. you can only get the most protection that u can, i say lidateck+V1. if you still get nailed, at least no regret cuz u know u tried :)

16. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    if you do get nailed and have v1/lidatek/k40, you should get even more pissed: $350/$350/$350+ $$ for the ticket + $$ from points = a lot of $$$$$

17. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I just printed 10,000 "MERDAV for EC FC President" posters!!!

18. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    I guess it looks like Rob is going to have to change Michael's screen name back to Merdav....

19. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Oh Jesus....here we again....

20. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    yeah, yeah...

21. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    LOL!! Aren't you sorry you started this thread? I bet that if you didn't mention it, hardly anyone would have noticed. I think we get used to the avatar and recognise that first.

22. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Wait a minute...I thought it was Dave?

23. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    So on a 355 the headlights are hidden and with no front plate how can Laser pick it up?

24. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Your Fogs are one reflective part as well as turn signals and finally your metalic paint. It's all reflective really, it's just a matter of how reflective. If you drive at night your headlights lessen the ability of Lidar to work and hence you rarely find officers using it at night. It will work, the effectiveness is much diminished though...

25. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    ...and keep in mind that black can absorb a laser light to somme degree reducing the range in which a car is spotted. No, really.