The offer of the day..... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The offer of the day.....

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Sep 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    #26 Bxtech, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like the Maserati sold for $3910. I think this price is including the auction house's 15% buyer's premium.

Yes, I agree........that was a pretty quirky collection the guy had! Definitely a wide range mix of all kinds of cars and other things!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Well at that price, if there's enough there to make a drop top out of it, maybe somebody got a deal. ?!?

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Somehow it's stuck in my mind that there was also a Maser straight six engine in the auction.

In any case, this guy was a real packrat. To use the word collection is a real stretch.

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's a $500-$700 parts car. Originally an east coast version "E" model.

Sadly this IS how most of them end up.

A very clean good running version of on of these sold at auction in Philadelphia recently for $7K.

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    A Maserati for $ 7k!!! A more than clear statement what the market thinks about this type...!

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not much different than the Mercedes , Porsche or BMW of that same era. Nice try though ...

7. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    actually, a lot different, because the biturbo cost nearly twice as much as other cars of the same era, not to mention that the Maserati was more exotic and rare.

wbaeumer is right, the market recognizes junk like that, which is reflected on the prices.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't know about Europe at the time but over here they were $23-24K which was right inline with an equivalent Mercedes at the time and maybe a little more than a 944 Turbo. Have a look at the M3 info from back then:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1987-1990-bmw-m3.htm

and this:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/series.aspx?modelID=593

Nice try though.

9. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Still more expensive than the average car, still rare and finally: still junk.

I'm not trying anything :)

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think you're very trying, on this subject.

11. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I wonder what it would take to get the early (1980s) Biturbos into a more positive price trajectory. As it is now, even well-kept cars risk being regarded as not worth repairing should anything relatively major happen.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Probably not going to happen. The marginal ones that are running and enjoyed by their owners will get sent to the wrecker for anything over about $1,500 to $2,000. There are a ton of cars much worse than that. The really good ones over here are worth $5-8K. In the UK and Europe it's a bit different from what I observe but I don't live there. I'm certain there are plenty of wrecks over there as well.

There are other Maseratis and Lamborghinis as well as Ferraris in somewhat similar circustances. Once let go, they don't come back.

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I always tried to love the Biturbo - but I failed!..:(

14. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    There has been a massive reduction of surviving cars over the years, and the trend seems to continue. How many are left? Biturbos (from the 1980s) will end up becoming something of a rarity!

F456M likes this.
  15. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The only Biturbo I have ever driven myself was a QPIV (2.8 V6). Liked it a lot. This is was some 15 years ago, but the car is still around, and remains very well maintained.

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree but I have no illusions on them becoming more valuable.
    My 84 is in great shape and I've got it tweaked just so, therefore I have no reason to get rid of it. I still love that interior but wish it were all real leather! Arg!

The later Ghiblis and Shamals will perhaps fare better. Barchettas are silly money for what it is. Just my opinion.

I don't know about the 3200s. We didn't see any of them. Most 4200 V8s over here are $22K - $35K. The 4200s are much better built but the spyder I drove this summer was still a mess of a car as far as I'm concerned. Except for the engine & steering which are fabulous. I'd like to try a manual 6 speed. But that paddle shifter was not ready for prime time in my view.

My Jag S-Type R comes across as a much better car and it's no angel either.

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes, I've know Enrico for quite a while. His website is a treasure as is he!

I probably should have gone to that one but with the economy the way it is I have to pick my spots now.

19. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    I'm a die hard Maseratisti, but to be honest, there aren't many Maseratis that will actually go up in value.

The De Tomaso junk (biturbo etc) will never be worth anything more than scrap metal, the 3200 needs constant attention to remain a reliable car thus will never go up, the 4200 was never rare and even my GranSport will never be worth anything more than pennies.

A car to be truly unique and gain value must have some "extra appeal", something like the flare that came with the Ghibli I for example. A little movie stardom also helps.

Maserati has had too many disappointments. After the Bora/Merak design, we had the biturbo... I mean... you must be barking mad not to see the humongous difference, how awful the bitrubo cars are compared to the previous cars.

We had more of the ingenious De Tomaso, how about the chopped up DeTomaso Longchamp that became the Maserati Kyalami???

Or the "rare" QPII and the spaceship from Startrek, the QPIII.

The botched up designs came one after the other...

and lets not get started on the Citroen stuff... ;) I am sure that Ferrari cars wouldn't be worth much, if they were a Peugeot underneath...

and now we are asking ourselves what happens to resale values and if they'll even go up?

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You really don't do yourself any favors with these rants.

Ferraris of the same vintage as the 3200 require constant attention as well. I don't think that's the issue. It's just not that striking a design to garner eventual collector status.

But why harp on all of this? Just enjoy them if you have them and if you don't then let others enjoy them in peace.

Is it that hard a thing to do?

The GT era cars are still undervalued IMHO and eventually will receive their due reward. We see some of that already with the Ghibli mostly because it looks pretty.

21. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Fair enough. I don't intend my posts to be rants, but I do appear too harsh at times.

The 3200 looks like the 4200 which looks like the GS, they are too similar in shape even if they are different cars underneath. That lowers their "rarity" a bit, which plays a role in future resale values.

We'll see in the future, the Bora/Merak are nice design(s), so maybe they'll be next to go up in value?

I don't know about the Ghibli II, they are shaped like a normal car. When I show people a Ghibli GT they can't even believe that it is a Maserati, most people think it looks like BMW from the 80's (not even the 90's!). If design plays such a major role, then the Ghibli II is loosing the battle already.

22. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I do like the Shamal and I wish they had brought them to the USA. The others of that era don't do much for me styling-wise. But as I have said before, the one BiTurbo V6 that I heard in person was a great sounding engine.

23. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello All..

I was debating whether to respond to all this Biturbo bashing or not...
    In the end I decided to make a few comments...

What are we gaining by bashing the Biturbo era cars (I'll include the QPIII
    here as well)??? If I were new to the 'exotic' car market and were looking
    at the various marques, and read what I read here, I wouldn't touch any
    Maserati... I don't think all this negativity does much for the values of any
    Maserati cars!

Maserati Blue: I find it interesting you don't seem to like very many of the
    Maserati cars, because you seem to not like the Biturbo era, the citroen era,
    and maybe you don't like many of the others as you may not like German
    components in the cars...Why do you bother with Maserati, perhaps you should
    look at a completely different car company...

Walter: I know you prefer the pre-war, racing, historically significant, etc. Maserati cars...
    I have a great appreciation for them as well... But I will probably never be able
    to own one and thus will never be able to contribute much about them... But your
    comments on what you perceive to be to many threads, pictures, etc about QPIII's
    and your negativity about Biturbo's doesn't help much... If you don't have an interest in these threads, please feel free to skip them... Trust me, I won't be offended...

Ultimately, for the good of the entire marque and its history, I suggest we keep the
    negativity to a minimum and focus on the positive of all models.. That will benefit all us Maserati owners in the end...

I own a few Maserati's and believe you should own and live with a particular model
    before you say anything negative....

To Bob S: keep up the good work!!! I have always found it a shame that we have to
    respond to the general negativity regarding the Biturbo era, even from our own Maserati
    brethren....

Mike D.

'85 Biturbo
    '82' QPIII
    '75 Khamsin
    '67 QPI
    '67 Mexico
    '71 Ghibli SS
    '64 Mistral

F456M likes this.
  24. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3