The offer of the day..... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The offer of the day.....

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Sep 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    May god bless them if they did but I think the other end of that spectrum will be more intimately involved in any such project.

The car has needs ...

Starting with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASERATI-GHIBLI-AM115-4-7-DRY-SUMP-ENGINE-/330284998465?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce6851f41&vxp=mtr

2. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    d
    SO Car for $10, motor for $20 rebuild of motor for $20; gearbox (finding and rebuilding with drive train $20. $70k BEFORE you start on the wreck of the car. Say $50 for metalwork; $50 for new parts all round and $20 for interior?

$200 to get the non matching numbers car on the road. OR buy a concours example with full history ........

3. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Two hundred bucks might be a bit low, even for a QPIII ;)

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #106 thecarnut, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #107 MK1044, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    So somebody is trying to flip the thing. Bought for about $3,900 if I recall. Now starting at $12,500. This is the kind of thing that really pisses me off. The flip just adds to the cost of the car without adding value. It just puts it that much further out of reach of a genuine enthusiast.

I detect another bird with gull wings ...

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    What a sad sight!

The car had a "celebrity" 1st owner:

AM109.298
    1965, blue/red
    March 1965 new to Prince Mansour Bin Saud -Athens/GE (the chap who owned the 5000GT #064 (ex-#048)
    19??-96 with Randy Simon (Hollywood producer) -Beverly Hills.CA./USA
    1999-2002 with Jacques Pozzo di Borgo -USA
    2002-2003 with Dana Seymour -USA

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's what these guys do ... nothing new about that.

It's not like there wasn't an opportunity for an enthusiast the last time around but no one bit.

It's not tasting any better now.

9. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #110 MK1044, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/detail-1968-maserati-ghibli-coupe-used-9443094.html

1968 Maserati Ghibli Black with Red interior. No engine or transmission. Clear, current California title showing the year first sold, (typically indicating that the car was first registered in California). Paint appears to be original. Body rough but interior could be decent and functional with just a few repairs such as recovering the top of the dash and repairing the left rear side panel. Has good seating and fabric, door panels, carpet, etc. For only $19,500.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I was only joking.......but so are they at that price! I nearly spilled my coffee Carmine.
    On a condition per dollar basis, that makes the green Ghibli spider at RM worth about $19m!
    ((-:

Mark

11. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    It looks like the rear bumper has been sprayed over black. There was a Ghibli shaped sieve for sale a while back - wonder if it got a quick blow over the rust in black?

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Did anyone else see the video on the Gullwing Motors webpage? If not, you have to see it ... it is just hysterical. They are waiting for your phone call to take a test drive. Of course there is no mention that the car does not have an engine ... but it does mention it has a AM/FM radio! I was on the floor laughing!

http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/detail-1968-maserati-ghibli-coupe-used-9443094.html

Ivan

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yup - I had two M1. The 1st was OK bit not as good as the 2nd I purchased directly from BMW in Munich in 1980. That was a fantastic car. I consider the M1 as the best handling car of the 70s. You could drive circles around every Ferrari or Lamborghini handlingwise. But when it came to performance both oponents were faster (...on straights!). I much like the M1!

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    a testdrive??? With this car???? HAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA.....(Ivan, may I join you on the floor?.:))!!!!!!! The "Titanic" is in better condition than this wreck!!!

16. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
  17. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Ahh, the wonders of the 1970's US impact regulations...

I wonder why they use the xtranormal site for the dialogue in their videos. Maybe they don't want to risk being recognized once the actually sell a vehicle? (and how in the world do they manage to unearth the most pitiful examples of neglect ever to grace a car lot - or web site?)

18. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    These are the people who recently contacted me to offer a Mexico, it seems they have a Merak priced so low as to be too good to be true.

Reading the fine print (all bold covering all page) it appears that the low price is because the engine is fried and in pieces, and they *think* all the parts are there... :-/

http://www.forzamotorsports.com/1980maseratimerakss/default.htm

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's a bit much for a car with the motor in a zillion pieces. it looks like a nice car otherwise, I just couldn't see going north of $12k for such a car. To get the car going it will cost another $15k+ alone, on a good day.

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Standard US Khamsin. Nader should be sued over that outcome. Rough car, with an auto-box to boot. Been discussed in the Khamsin-thread a while ago.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

And yet ... other cars received USA bumpers and didn't look this ugly.

Visually this doesn't work on the Khamsin at all. They could have done better in the front and made it work but I don't know how they would have been able to do the rear of that car back then. The taillights in the glass was a height issue as well.

The Bora & Merak were much better and the front once again wasn't executed as well as it could have been. The rear is not so great but not as bad as the Khamsin. At least they function well! LOL :D

The Pantera was executed much better. The Espada ... OMG.

The only thing is that the "really pretty chrome/stainless" bumpers are worthless as functional bumpers.

I just think that some of the automakers didn't solve the problem well. It probably was hard hard for them to accomplish as well.

These standards were bound to come and today the regulations are far more stringent.
    Blaming Nader (not a hero of mine) or the US DOT is pointless. Maybe a waiver for a few years could have been granted?

23. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    This car is up for sale on Ebay now with a Buy It Now for $12,500!!

LINK: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Maserati-Mistral-Rolling-Chassis-/200829828177?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2ec263fc51#v4-36